• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

Brazil have managed quite well over the years. Their defence has always been their weak point, and even more so in the last world cup.

A it happens this is one of the most exciting England squads in recent years, but this tournament might be a bit too early. Time will tell. Whatever happens this team will contribute to the excitement.

Comparing England with Brazil is,of course,the worst sort of fantasy football.

England will do what they normally do in big International tournaments.Flatter to deceive and not progress very far in the competition.

Comparing England with Brazil is,of course,the worst sort of fantasy football.

England will do what they normally do in big International tournaments.Flatter to deceive and not progress very far in the competition.

I'm not comparing England to Brazil as you well know. I'm disproving your point that:

...teams that can't defend well don't usually last very long in International tournaments.

As for the flatter to deceive argument. I also said this might be a bit early for them, and never said they would do well. I do, however think it is an exciting squad, and that they will add to the excitement of the tournament. Given that that is a subjective argument, however well they play, and however exciting their games are, I'm expecting you to say the opposite.

I'm not comparing England to Brazil as you well know. I'm disproving your point that:

As for the flatter to deceive argument
. I also said this might be a bit early for them, and never said they would do well. I do, however think it is an exciting squad, and that they will add to the excitement of the tournament. Given that that is a subjective argument, however well they play, and however exciting their games are, I'm expecting you to say the opposite.

I'll grant you they've played some attractive football in what were meaningless friendlies.

However,I'll wait until the tournament starts before making any assessment as to what, (if anything),they might achieve.

And you'll be delighted. Well done you.

As for the flatter to deceive argument. I also said this might be a bit early for them, and never said they would do well. I do, however think it is an exciting squad, and that they will add to the excitement of the tournament. Given that that is a subjective argument, however well they play, and however exciting their games are, I'm expecting you to say the opposite.

Lads, stop feeding the troll

I'll grant you they've played some attractive football in what were meaningless friendlies.

However,I'll wait until the tournament starts before making any assessment as to what, (if anything),they might achieve.

They've also played some attractive football in the qualifying matches as well. However, in each two game salvo they seemed to be better in the 2nd match. Hopefully with some time together as a squad, and some friendlies before the tournament starts, you'd hope they'd start their first group match in that 2nd game state.

Behave yourself...

:smile:

I'll wait until the tournament starts before making any assessment as to what, (if anything),they might achieve.

Please just let the rest of us enjoy it for what it is. We might well flatter to deceive. Equally, we might just do something crazy and go and win it. That's the beauty of football and it's the difference between watching a game and really 'feeling' a game.

I'd like to address something or it'll be a long tournament with you lobbing the usual grenades in from the sidelines. Is your negativity a real belief we're not good enough, a self-defence mechanism that makes it less painful if (when?) we lose, a hatred of England now you've left, a troll for attention, something else, or a combination of all of the above?

Genuine question as I believe any of the answers could be reasonable based on your previous posts on the matter.

Behave yourself...

:smile:

Please just let the rest of us enjoy it for what it is. We might well flatter to deceive. Equally, we might just do something crazy and go and win it. That's the beauty of football and it's the difference between watching a game and really 'feeling' a game.

I'd like to address something or it'll be a long tournament with you lobbing the usual grenades in from the sidelines. Is your negativity a real belief we're not good enough, a self-defence mechanism that makes it less painful if (when?) we lose, a hatred of England now you've left, a troll for attention, something else, or a combination of all of the above?

Genuine question as I believe any of the answers could be reasonable based on your previous posts on the matter.

A combination of the two points I've highlighted.With the emphasis on the former.

A combination of the two points I've highlighted.With the emphasis on the former.
Ha. I've always been intrigued by your steadfast refusal to big up England's chances in any tournament and though history has proved you eminently correct in your baneful forecasts, it's a great shame that "the lads" have not made more of a go of it over the years. If not for the inevitable ricket that will emanate from this defence, this team has the look of potential about it. Here's hoping that we go as far as '96 if not all the way. But it's probably best to employ the MDM just in case. Plaudits to SBH for tackling you on it too. Just out of curiosity, who do you think will win the thing?

Ha. I've always been intrigued by your steadfast refusal to big up England's chances in any tournament and though history has proved you eminently correct in your baneful forecasts, it's a great shame that "the lads" have not made more of a go of it over the years. If not for the inevitable ricket that will emanate from this defence, this team has the look of potential about it. Here's hoping that we go as far as '96 if not all the way. But it's probably best to employ the MDM just in case. Plaudits to SBH for tackling you on it too. Just out of curiosity, who do you think will win the thing?

Remember I'm old enough to have seen the 1966 tournament and even I would have to conceed (gracefully) that England were extremely unlucky to get knocked out in 1970.

I've said before I expect the winners to come from Germany,Spain or France.I'll wait until the tournament starts before I narrow it down.

Remember I'm old enough to have seen the 1966 tournament and even I would have to conceed (gracefully) that England were extremely unlucky to get knocked out in 1970.

I've said before I expect the winners to come from Germany,Spain or France.I'll wait until the tournament starts before I narrow it down.

You're really going out on a limb with those aren't you?!

Nothing to lose really. No expectations, no players of the "golden generation" to hold us back - bar Rooney, and I'd be happy if he trod on one of his kids Lego bricks and bruised a metatarsal. Lets give it our best and see what the cows bring home eh?

Gracefully is not the word Barners ,reluctantly is.:smile:

Jurgen Klinsmann, on FF today, also had Italy in there. He mentioned them second after Spain. And before Germany. Maybe something to do with Italy having a fantastic record v The Germans/West Germans in his lifetime. He did also mention England too but he's quite a media schmoozer.

I'll say now England have no chance, then over the next few weeks I'll get excited and by the time it starts I'll believe again and have a st George draped over my shoulders. Just like every tournament. Don't think you can ever rule out the Italians. They always seem to come good at the right time every 2 or 4 years.

We we must play with Kane and Vardy up top, having to threats like that on the pitch is worthwhile just for that alone, the threat. Don't think we've had such a good speedy attack since 96. So yes I'm already getting excited!!

My picks at the moment are either the French or the Germans though. Can't choose between the two.

Seeing how well Rooney's been playing lately in midfield, then it's quite timely for him to assume that 'link man' role behind the front two, or "at the top of the diamond", as the commentators say nowadays. I was quite impressed with Kyle Walker's performance today and would have him ahead of Clyne now. It was a lack-lustre game overall but there was some encouraging stuff, ie. Vardy's continuing goal threat and the pace to win penalties even when they're not nailed on. I suspect that the game v Australia will see quite a few changes and I hope Townsend gets a run out. He's done well for England whenever he's been called upon and I'd like to see him in the squad ahead of some of the more prosaic midfielders we have.

Back