• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

Theo's problem is that he hasn't played enough because he has been so poor. I'm a huge Walcott fan (have consistently called him England's best player on here) but I doubt even he is arguing today that he's been snubbed.

To me Wilshere was an absolute no-brainer pick. He is coming back from a leg break which is much less concerning than if it was a knee or ankle ligament problem. He has been fit for six weeks, he has three friendlies to now get some game time under his belt. He should be completely fresh by the time the tournament starts.

Henderson is the gamble pick, for me. he's still injured and is being rushed back. It is a reminder of us rushing Rooney & Beckham back but a much more mediocre version of that.

Theo Walcott is garbage

Jesus, would anyone start John Stones ahead of Gary Chaill? Cahill may be a bit ordinary but Stones is a car crash.

But you know Roy will pick milner, cahill, rooney and not the exciting youngsters.
Stones may be an exciting prospect but anyone who has watched any of his performances for Everton and England this season would realise there is absolutely no way he is good enough to start at a a major international tournament this summer. As boring as some may find it Cahill is the much better option. Milner won't play. And Rooney is still a good player, he just doesn't score as many goals (which is all some people look at when judging a player) because he plays in a deeper role. He shouldn't play ahead of Vardy and Kane up front but still has something to offer behind them

Stones may be an exciting prospect but anyone who has watched any of his performances for Everton and England this season would realise there is absolutely no way he is good enough to start at a a major international tournament this summer. As boring as some may find it Cahill is the much better option. Milner won't play. And Rooney is still a good player, he just doesn't score as many goals (which is all some people look at when judging a player) because he plays in a deeper role. He shouldn't play ahead of Vardy and Kane up front but still has something to offer behind them

Not something we are guilty of with Southend forwards.

Last edited:
Seem to be a short in numbers defensively, I know Deir can drop into defence but for me Jagielka should be in the squad.

I think we are short of genuine quailty at the back, the rest of the squad looks pretty good though.

Some big names left out of the Spain squad, including Juan Mata, Santi Cazorla and Diego Costa. Paco Alcácer a bit unlucky too.

Seem to be a short in numbers defensively, I know Deir can drop into defence but for me Jagielka should be in the squad.

I think we are short of genuine quailty at the back, the rest of the squad looks pretty good though.

Agree with this 100 per cent. We do not have top class center backs at the moment. I like the rest of the squad. Wilshire worth the risk...The best midfield player in the country when fit and firing

Presumably Rashford, Delph and one of the other midfielders (maybe Wilshere or Henderson depending on fitness) will be the three cut from the final squad. Outrageous that Wilshere and Delph who have barely played any first-team football this season have been picked ahead of Mark Noble, but that's the big club bias for you. I can understand about Wilshere being fresh etc. but the selection of Delph is baffling, he wasn't even on the Man City bench on Sunday.

Also strange that he's taking three centre backs and four full backs when we have Milner and Dier who can cover at full back if needed. We better pray that Smalling or Cahill don't get injured because I'm not convinced by John Stones and I think there are a number of English centre-backs who have had better seasons than him.

I think we have a good first team on paper but there's a lack of depth. Looking at that squad our best form of defence is going to be attack in France.

Costa has never looked comfortable in a Spain team.

What with him being Brazilian and all.

Can't say I'm sad to see his international career go down the plughole. Jumped ship for expediency and it has been a disaster. Good.

I am genuinely excited by this squad for the first time in a long time. Sven Goran Eriksson reckons we could win the tournament. I wouldn't go that far yet, but if England get a good start then it could be a very exciting series.

Ever the optimist.It might well be an exciting tournament, (we'll see), but not because England are in it.

Remind me,where's Sven these days? China right?

Ever the optimist.It might well be an exciting tournament, (we'll see), but not because England are in it.

Remind me,where's Sven these days? China right?

Even for an England hater such as yourself, you have to admit that from an attacking point of view, players such as Kane, Vardy and Ali are exciting. Not necessarily the next champions of Europe, but fun to watch.

Also, by having a defence made up mostly of players who can't defend very well, we're doing our bit to get the tournament goal tally up.

This is the most confident I've been about England in a tournament ever. We have these young kids coming through and they are quality (thanks Poch)

When you look at the strikers being selected by other countries I think we have the deadliest strike force out of the whole lot.

Even for an England hater such as yourself, you have to admit that from an attacking point of view, players such as Kane, Vardy and Ali are exciting. Not necessarily the next champions of Europe, but fun to watch.

Also, by having a defence made up mostly of players who can't defend very well, we're doing our bit to get the tournament goal tally up.

Yes but teams that can't defend well don't usually last very long in International tournaments.

Absolutely love watching England. Unfortunately I live in Liverpool where nobody quite shares my excitement and everyone would have you think Henderson and Milner are world class. Despite us not looking at our best when playing a diamond I think it would allow us to get the best starting line up of

Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand
Dier
Wilshere Ali
Rooney
Vardy and Kane

I know people will criticise Wilshere's inclusion because of the whole fitness issue but If he is selected it will be because he is fit. And if fit he is definitely better than Henderson and I can't bare Milner , certainly not of international class. Wouldnt mind Drinkwater being included either. I think we've looked at our best when we've played 433 but unfortunately Welbecks injury , who I thought gave us great balance on that left side is injured.

Yes but teams that can't defend well don't usually last very long in International tournaments.

Brazil have managed quite well over the years. Their defence has always been their weak point, and even more so in the last world cup.

A it happens this is one of the most exciting England squads in recent years, but this tournament might be a bit too early. Time will tell. Whatever happens this team will contribute to the excitement.

Last edited:
i'd imagine the 3 to be cut will be Clyne or Walker, Delph and Rashford but if Henderson isn't fit maybe Delph will get a go instead
I think that all the defenders listed in the 26 will be included, injuries notwithstanding. One of the forwards won't go - so Rashford will be omitted unless there's any injury to another forward before the final cut. That leaves two midfielders for the chop - and I'm guessing Delph and one other. Very hard to predict but I think it could be Drinkwater as Henderson, Milner and Wilshere are favourite squaddies of Roy's.

Back