• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there is no "other" reason and the reason is simply that 3 ambitious players want to further their careers.

Payne has moved to a club in the championship. No doubt finances played a part in the decision but it is pure conjecture that it was the sole decision. Unlike, say Barry Corr, he is still moving up a division so it still makes sound footballing sense to move to Huddersfield.

Brentford for me is an excellent choice for Dan. He has a real opportunity to be playing first team football at an established Championship club. Maybe he could go to a "bigger" club but he may then find himself on the bench.

It was indeed widely assumed by many that Worrall would go back up north but I do not recall Worrall himself saying us much. Again Millwall looks like an excellent move. They took awhile to adapt to life in League 1 but finished the second half of the season strongly, made the play-offs, and must be one of the favourites for promotion next year. He also doe not need to relocate.

I think Worrall moved simply because he wasnt getting regular foobtall, cant blame him for that and can leave that at Browns door, but he is the manager .

The other two moved because they had a chance to play in the Championship so no blame on our part other than not sorting out Paynes contract beforehand.

I agree about the tinpotness of Brentford and Huddersfield but these two words are the clue as to why they are where they are and we are where we are. Also the clue as to why we are in my opinion the second biggest club in England never to have had a top-flight season (after Plymouth but of course).

Also the clue as to why we are in my opinion the second biggest club in England never to have had a top-flight season (after Plymouth but of course).

That's an interesting point. I agree that Plymouth are the first. We are certainly somewhere close. Who else? Maybe Rotherham? Bristol Rovers? Peterborough? Can't think of anyone else.

Rangers have signed another goalkeeper Gilkes so its unlikely now they will be interested in Dan- so confirms he will almost certainly remain in England and we get compensation.

That's an interesting point. I agree that Plymouth are the first. We are certainly somewhere close. Who else? Maybe Rotherham? Bristol Rovers? Peterborough? Can't think of anyone else.

Both in terms of direct catchment and potential, I'd say we are probably up there with Bristol Rovers, but behind Plymouth.
Probably now the place with the third or fourth largest population never to have hosted top flight football.

Rangers have signed another goalkeeper Gilkes so its unlikely now they will be interested in Dan- so confirms he will almost certainly remain in England and we get compensation.

He was never going there kentblues. It's always been Brentford.

Hardly a massive move, would have thought he would have been looking a bit bigger than Brentford. Disapointing that our two main assets have joined / joining clubs both of whom may be fighting a relegstion battle next season

Hardly a massive move, would have thought he would have been looking a bit bigger than Brentford. Disapointing that our two main assets have joined / joining clubs both of whom may be fighting a relegstion battle next season

I thought, according to some, they have just left a club that will be fighting a relegation battle

You seem very sure that he will be joining Brentford, however as of yet there has been no official news on this or announcement.

How can you be certain??? Are you privilege to news that he has signed a contract? Or are you relying on speculation?

Brentford? If Dan settles for Griffin Park it shows you that the big clubs are just not interested in young, English talent. Brentford? Seriously?

Brentford will be nowhere near a relegation battle next season. Fancy them to have an outside shot of the play-offs.

Brentford would be an excellent career choice for DB. This move is crucial to him and his development. Look at Alex Smithies, who was touted as a future England goalkeeper when at Huddersfield. His move was to Everton, and he never got a look in there and was soon forgotten about. If DB get this move wrong, the same could happen to him. He has a very good chance of becoming Brentford's number 1, and it's a fairly local club as well, so wouldn't need to move, or wouldn't need to move far.

He has a very strong family network, and that's why I couldn't see him going to Rangers or Burnley. Brentford or Bournemouth yes, and wherever he goes, I really hope it works out for him. He is a genuinely nice guy, who came and supported my charity football match and family fun day a week before our Wembley play off final win, along with John White. I wish him the very best.

Brentford? If Dan settles for Griffin Park it shows you that the big clubs are just not interested in young, English talent. Brentford? Seriously?

Or maybe the bigger clubs just don't want to fork out money on an unproven keeper

Brentford will be nowhere near a relegation battle next season. Fancy them to have an outside shot of the play-offs.

Brentford would be an excellent career choice for DB. This move is crucial to him and his development. Look at Alex Smithies, who was touted as a future England goalkeeper when at Huddersfield. His move was to Everton, and he never got a look in there and was soon forgotten about. If DB get this move wrong, the same could happen to him. He has a very good chance of becoming Brentford's number 1, and it's a fairly local club as well, so wouldn't need to move, or wouldn't need to move far.

He has a very strong family network, and that's why I couldn't see him going to Rangers or Burnley. Brentford or Bournemouth yes, and wherever he goes, I really hope it works out for him. He is a genuinely nice guy, who came and supported my charity football match and family fun day a week before our Wembley play off final win, along with John White. I wish him the very best.
Smithies spent his whole career at Huddersfield until he signed for QPR last summer and has since taken over as number 1 from Robert Green, think you might be thinking of the wrong guy.

Bentley's 22, still very young for a goalkeeper. If he's playing first-team football for Brentford he'll be much more in the shop window than he would be being 2nd/3rd choice at a Premier League/bigger Championship club. Brentford are a club that seems to be heading in the right direction, plans for a new stadium, and I think it'd be a good move for him.

Pretty sure there will be news on Dan by the end of the week - surprised, really, that Jack Payne's was done when it was as expected that to wait till the contract officially expired. And Worrall's for that matter.

Smithies spent his whole career at Huddersfield until he signed for QPR last summer and has since taken over as number 1 from Robert Green, think you might be thinking of the wrong guy.

You are correct, must be thinking of someone else.

Point still stands that this move for Bentley is absolutely massive, and should he get it wrong you are quickly forgotten about in football. Get it right, and continue his progression, he could get a premiership move and international recognition.

Pretty sure there will be news on Dan by the end of the week - surprised, really, that Jack Payne's was done when it was as expected that to wait till the contract officially expired. And Worrall's for that matter.

You'll see a lot of movement next week, as most clubs return to pre-season either end of next week or start of the following week. It's when panic sets in that they haven't got a club and pre-season is about to start.

The week just gone has been busy, Bury signed four players for example, but expect to see it go even busier next week.

:tease:
Bentley's 22, still very young for a goalkeeper. If he's playing first-team football for Brentford he'll be much more in the shop window than he would be being 2nd/3rd choice at a Premier League/bigger Championship club. Brentford are a club that seems to be heading in the right direction, plans for a new stadium, and I think it'd be a good move for him.

Could well prove a very bad move for Bentley-it depends on their present no.1 Button who is at present a much better keeper

:tease:

Could well prove a very bad move for Bentley-it depends on their present no.1 Button who is at present a much better keeper

Mane only a few years older so also likely to improve.

Becoming apparent that Dan's options are limited...

No big Premier club move & no guaranteed 1st choice, even at Championship level - he needs to vote '#Remain'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back