• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Frankly I find it unbelievable that people can be so snobbish and patronising towards a faction of their own supporters.

So some people aren't as literate or articulate as others. So some are easily led by a very few. So some people use raw emotion, arising from pent up frustration of not being able to do a thing about the off-pitch shambles and the fear of the club going under.

These people have as much right to make their feelings known as a few clever clogs writing witticisms or critiques on a message board.

And yes, the brave Ron Martin, facing a 'lynch mob', with ony half a dozen security stewards and a few policemen standing around him. If is entirely his fault that he had to go out there, that there had to be a protest, in the first place.

For a few of them, it was the only way they could make their feelings known. I wouldn't, and didn't, join in with name calling or the chanting, but I saw people that care about their club. If people are embarrassed by that, it's their problem.

I think you make some very good points. The reality is any protest is always going to start with the most passionate members of a club's fanbase who may not protest in the way 'clever' people would like. But I would also say that if those protests are gain momentum and attract more people, then it needs to be move on to be more than that.

so lets all stick together, get behind Ron (for better or worse),QUOTE]

To be fair, I think the vast majority of fans have given Ron a fair amount of backing over the years and look at the situation we now find ourselves in.

Woah! Woah! Woah! Nobody is having a dig at the 'class' of fans at all.

Nobody is trying to be 'clever' or 'better' than anyone else for christ sake. All I personally am saying - and I seem to be getting some agreement, is a foul mouthed protest asking for the immediate removal of the only person propping the club up (no matter what a ****-arse job he is making of it) is not the answer to our problems.

The Q&A is certainly a step in the right direction if handled correctly - and perhaps in the current light, Ron might make this a regular occurance to give better and direct dialogue to fans - perhaps even allowing the Echo to print direct minutes, so as many people as possible have access to as much information as possible.

But dont try and turn this around into a 'fan v fan' outrage! We all want the same things, just needs to be done in the right way - if its a decently organised protest with a clear goal, I'm sure that will have the same profound effect as any other method - but what I say on the BBC last night does nobody any favours IMO.

To be fair, I think the vast majority of fans have given Ron a fair amount of backing over the years and look at the situation we now find ourselves in.

you mean going through a rough patch, but with a major new stadium development on way - more than any other chairman has manged to do in recent times?
Of course it's not going to be an easy ride! If a rubbish year is the price we have to pay great - we had many rubbish years under previous chairman, without a stadium project 'well advanced'!!

Who do you want to come and take over???? Do you think anyone who would be interested in a club our size would have the vision Ron has? Correct, it's not delivered yet, but it hasn't failed yet either.

i couldnt agree with you more there. he's got away with murder and i thinkn we have been very understanding tbh.

This murder he has got away with, was it at the same time as the Rape you accused him of the other day ?

You have come on here numerous times with highly emotive accusations yet despite several requests have not actually said what you feel consitutes "raping the club" and "Murder".

Please put an articulate and reasoned discussion forward because there are fans on here who don't wich to be patronised by Ron and his "going over their heads" comments and the only way we are going to prevent that is to actually make some sort of semblance of a reasoned argument and avoid emotional rhetoric and profanities

The good points:
Firstly, we are still here. Not in Administration, not wound up - Ron said we will not go into admin before the last round of court battles, and its still not the case - good to his word so far.
We could have been wound up. We haven't yet - still good to his word.
We have planning permission for a new stadium that no other chairman has ever succeeded in - again, Ron said he would get this through - surely a momentous step of progress? Getting it built and financed is obviously another challenge all together!
What we have achieved under his leadership is truely fantastic - it may be in the past now, but its in history forever and proves he can lead us to success. Done it once, can do it again.
The chicken balti pies ;-)

The bad:
Not paying the staff sits very awkwardly with most of us and would like this to be addressed asap.
Must have pushed Tilly to breaking point; although he is still here.
Getting rid of Brush - Doh!
Playing chicken with HMRC
Timing - trying to raise funds for a new development during the worst recession in living memory (well, most of us anyway)
Onions!

As PBoreham said at the beginning; by all means protest, but know what you want. Think it through. If Ron did as some of you want, who would bank roll the club? Whos going to step in and rescue us? Would Ron still write off the rent? Would any new owners have a better incentive for us to keep afloat and succeed as Ron has? Don't lose sight of the fact that he needs us to fulfil his ambitions. If that doesn't focus his mind to see us through this, then no-one can save us!

Last edited:

All the fans have given RM backing down the years because, in general, things have been better than ever before. It's at times like these when we are going through a rough patch that everyones support for the club as a whole is needed. Anyone who doesn't give that is no more than a fair weather fan, in my opinion.

Nobody is trying to be 'clever' or 'better' than anyone else for christ sake. All I personally am saying - and I seem to be getting some agreement, is a foul mouthed protest asking for the immediate removal of the only person propping the club up (no matter what a ****-arse job he is making of it) is not the answer to our problems.

Who ever is using this foul mouthed abuse is a disgrace! lowest of the low and shown themselves up for what they really are.

Last edited:
Who ever is using this foul mouthed abuse is a disgrace! lowest of the low and shown themselves up for what they really are.

Seems to be pretty common with football supporters generally i suppose but some of the language, (both verbal and physical) shown on last night's programme seemed pretty over the top. Ok - it looked like a bunch of kids just venting through frustration but anyone watching that would assume that Southend Fans want Ron Martin out - Perhaps it's the minority using the loudest voices but when the media are involved the perception becomes more powerful that then reality.

As for some of the fans on here that have chosen to send me abusive "rep" or whatever it's called - grow up - perhaps you think it makes you appear more macho but in my eyes it has the reverse effect...

A little example for anyone that cares to read...

deejsouthend Stop eating dicks and shut up you prick
mattytheshrimper scummer
shrimp and two veg scummer!
BLUEBLOOD Its got **** all to do with you ********

All this for voicing an opinion on an open public forum, without using bad language or (as far as I'm aware) saying anything offensive?

Frankly I find it unbelievable that people can be so snobbish and patronising towards a faction of their own supporters.

So some people aren't as literate or articulate as others. So some are easily led by a very few. So some people use raw emotion, arising from pent up frustration of not being able to do a thing about the off-pitch shambles and the fear of the club going under.

These people have as much right to make their feelings known as a few clever clogs writing witticisms or critiques on a message board.

And yes, the brave Ron Martin, facing a 'lynch mob', with ony half a dozen security stewards and a few policemen standing around him. If is entirely his fault that he had to go out there, that there had to be a protest, in the first place.

For a few of them, it was the only way they could make their feelings known. I wouldn't, and didn't, join in with name calling or the chanting, but I saw people that care about their club. If people are embarrassed by that, it's their problem.
Rest assured, whether you are clever or thick, whether you are rich or poor, Ron Martin will still take your money, he will still waste your money, he will still blame 'your' team and management for the mess he has got you in. Therefore he deserves to face every type of supporter, rough or smooth.

Seems to be pretty common with football supporters generally i suppose but some of the language, (both verbal and physical) shown on last night's programme seemed pretty over the top. Ok - it looked like a bunch of kids just venting through frustration but anyone watching that would assume that Southend Fans want Ron Martin out - Perhaps it's the minority using the loudest voices but when the media are involved the perception becomes more powerful that then reality.

As for some of the fans on here that have chosen to send me abusive "rep" or whatever it's called - grow up - perhaps you think it makes you appear more macho but in my eyes it has the reverse effect...

A little example for anyone that cares to read...

deejsouthend Stop eating dicks and shut up you prick
mattytheshrimper scummer
shrimp and two veg scummer!
BLUEBLOOD Its got **** all to do with you ********

All this for voicing an opinion on an open public forum, without using bad language or (as far as I'm aware) saying anything offensive?

Yes but do you not understand when times are tough the LAST person people what to be talking to on here are scummers!

Rest assured, whether you are clever or thick, whether you are rich or poor, Ron Martin will still take your money, he will still waste your money, he will still blame 'your' team and management for the mess he has got you in. Therefore he deserves to face every type of supporter, rough or smooth.

Ron martin doesn't take that much out of club. I would struggle to believe wasting the money either - from my view the losses are due to the drop in turnover due to the relegation from the championship (look through the accounts - you can get them from Co House) and the fact the players are still on Champ wages (allegedly). Ok fair point about blaming management and the team bit harsh but equally it appears everyone is going a bit over the top here.

Fine lee barnard was sold apparantly by RM (who is to say Tilly had a say and decided he wanted to sell him?) Ok, there is still the transfer monies from Bailey, Eastwood and the Man U games but the end result is that football clubs are not profitable. We are trying to survive with costs which are in effect from the championship and also being hit by ending up paying for the stadium (god knows how much we have spent on legal fees and finance costs).

Ron has his faults but to say waste and take our money is invalid. Protest - yeah sure against the way he tries to spin things and the way he treated brush but he is not trying to drag the club down - its not in his interests too.

Yes but do you not understand when times are tough the LAST person people what to be talking to on here are scummers!

Of course if I'd been gloating about your current position, predicting relgation, adminstration or anything along those lines but I haven't. whilst I support Col U i do now quite a few people at Southend, including a couple of players and so have more than a passing interest in the current situation.

Plus, I love the Derby - football is getting more and more boring with stewarding and policing levels (plus their arrest targets) - it's one of the few games that the atmosphere is anything like the old days and I'd miss it if you get related and we miss out on promotion (which is looking unlikely based on our last few games)

Just can't see why people can't take my opinions on face value (and by all means disagree) rather than directing childish insults because I happen to support a different team

Of course if I'd been gloating about your current position, predicting relgation, adminstration or anything along those lines but I haven't. whilst I support Col U i do now quite a few people at Southend, including a couple of players and so have more than a passing interest in the current situation.

Plus, I love the Derby - football is getting more and more boring with stewarding and policing levels (plus their arrest targets) - it's one of the few games that the atmosphere is anything like the old days and I'd miss it if you get related and we miss out on promotion (which is looking unlikely based on our last few games)

Just can't see why people can't take my opinions on face value (and by all means disagree) rather than directing childish insults because I happen to support a different team

Gloating or not its the fact people know your not a Southend fan that's causing friction hell most of us are arguing with each other at the moment let alone having time to welcome the rivals!

Gloating or not its the fact people know your not a Southend fan that's causing friction hell most of us are arguing with each other at the moment let alone having time to welcome the rivals!

Wasn't expecting a welcome mate - just trying to avoid getting caned for anything other than my opinion!

If Ron Martin was taking anything out of the club, why would one of his companies (RHL) be getting 2M from Sainsburys and be putting it into the club ?

RM owned companies are owed around 5M by SUFC iro loans , how pray tell is that taking money from the club ?

Last edited:
If Ron Martin was taking anything out of the club, why would one of his companies (RHL) be getting 2M from Sainsburys and be putting it into the club ?

RM owned companies are owed around 5M by SUFC iro loans , how pray tell is that taking money from the club ?
Ron has his faults but to say waste and take our money is invalid. Protest - yeah sure against the way he tries to spin things and the way he treated brush but he is not trying to drag the club down - its not in his interests too.
[/QUOTE]

When Ron took over the club was in a poor state but we at least had something (not much granted) in the way of assets. Thanks to Ron we now have nothing, no new ground, no ground at all, and not even 11 professionals. It may not of been Ron intention to pull the club down, but that is exactly what he is doing.

If Martin has any rabbits in a hat, i would suggest now is the time to reveal all, IMO unfortunately i think Ron has shaken all the money trees, and milked all the cash cows and we're now ****ed.

When Ron took over the club was in a poor state but we at least had something (not much granted) in the way of assets. Thanks to Ron we now have nothing, no new ground, no ground at all, and not even 11 professionals. It may not of been Ron intention to pull the club down, but that is exactly what he is doing.

If Martin has any rabbits in a hat, i would suggest now is the time to reveal all, IMO unfortunately i think Ron has shaken all the money trees, and milked all the cash cows and we're now ****ed.[/QUOTE]

True, but as the previous chairman has borrowed substantially against the assets and then been unable to repay (due to losses made of the footballing side) thus necesitating the sale of the assets to cover the debt and allow cash flow, one could say that the die had been cast, whoever came in after VJ was going to have sold the ground, trainng ground etc (unless they had 5M quid sloshing around as loose change)

Back