• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
With the players in the squad we have, who seem to have talent, why is it we are playing such crap football. Is it that PS knows only one game and that is hoof ball or is it that the formation is completely wrong..I don't mind picking up points but I hate seeing the style of football we have to endure at the moment which bores me to tears.We are dog **** lucky to be where we are in this table playing as we are and the entertainment value is zero.

Over to you lot.

Why the need for the word football in the title??

but this season is all about getting out of this league, if it means root one tactics then so be it,,,,attractive football is fine if you are winning with it as well but getting the points is what this league is all about....UTB

but this season is all about getting out of this league, if it means root one tactics then so be it,,,,attractive football is fine if you are winning with it as well but getting the points is what this league is all about....UTB

Agreed we need to get out of this league..we will be found out though surely playing ****.

You're spot on, this is probably another reason our attendances have dropped.

That 1st half yesterday was shocking, how can some of them get paid £1000 a week or what ever they get yet can't even look up and pass to feet?

2nd half was so much better when we did pass to feet, if the long ball continues I expect our attendances will drop more, especially with the cost of going these days.

Why the need for yet another negative thread?

It's not negative as such. Cricko has a point. The football is awful and the first half yesterday was the most sleep-inducing performance i've seen from a Southend side in my 15-years of supporting the club. Yes I agree with the notion of getting out of this league and picking up points but I also pay to be entertained and entertained I am mostly not. We will be found out by the better sides in this league eventually and not only that, but it's so frustrating as a fan to watch a match and be able to tell exactly what style of play will bring out the strengths of our players, only to see them play the complete opposite.

It's not negative as such. Cricko has a point. The football is awful and the first half yesterday was the most sleep-inducing performance i've seen from a Southend side in my 15-years of supporting the club. Yes I agree with the notion of getting out of this league and picking up points but I also pay to be entertained and entertained I am mostly not. We will be found out by the better sides in this league eventually and not only that, but it's so frustrating as a fan to watch a match and be able to tell exactly what style of play will bring out the strengths of our players, only to see them play the complete opposite.

We have played some good passing football this season. Harris is going to need passing football to thrive, Hall is good for the passing game, Sawyer will definitely provide this. I'm hoping with these 3 in the team would be the catalyst for this Sometimes you need to play hoofball in this league to get out, I'm sure we played some hootball when Tilly got us out, not every game, but sometimes toy need to play that way to counter the opposition.

I want to see some positive threads, discussing how we aren't playing great, but are getting the points, so we must be doing something right. I know it's still early, but the way some people on here are talking, we are relegation fodder already. We clearly aren't that and I'm well chuffed we are 6th as it stands, with Sawyer and Corr out and having lost Harris for a few games and Dickinson for 3 as well.

Its just not happening at the moment in terms of style and passing..
Theres lots of new faces again ... Harris, Dickinson, Kalala, Johnson, Leonard, Phillips (hardly played last year)... once it all clicks we will start to play better. I thought against Northampton at times we showed this.

Lets see where we are in 6 games

It's a combination of many things I think:

Not being able to field our first choice XI
Players played out of position
Wrong tactics at times
Lack of effort from some
Poor attitude from some
New players still bedding in

There is something wrong and it needs to be fixed, before we get smashed in the next 2 games.

we are in the top six for christ sake, cheer up everyone, the next two games will show how good or how far we have come, think we will be a good away side this season as theirs not so much pressure on the players like at roots hall.

We have been lucky to get these two wins. Dubious penalty got us going yesterday, last 3 minutes against Gills. These 2 matches could have yieded 2 points followed by potential hammerings by decent teams. Surely this is not the plan to get into the play offs. Sturrock badly needs to get rid of these sideways merchants and start entertaining people. Results aint everything, my 50 quid sometimes 100 when twice a week still feels like poor value with the tripe that he is dishing up!

We have been lucky to get these two wins. Dubious penalty got us going yesterday, last 3 minutes against Gills. These 2 matches could have yieded 2 points followed by potential hammerings by decent teams. Surely this is not the plan to get into the play offs. Sturrock badly needs to get rid of these sideways merchants and start entertaining people. Results aint everything, my 50 quid sometimes 100 when twice a week still feels like poor value with the tripe that he is dishing up!

Have you seen it again on i-player? Stonewall penalty

Back