• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why did the chants only start when we went 1-0 down?

We were saying exactly the same thing in the East Stand. At a time when the team needed them most they directed it at RM, clueless. Although i cant go in the north bank due to having my son with me, i fully supported the club giving it back to the fans, its where i first stood back in 1981, but it has become a problem area in my mind. Yes the support is good at times but also seems to be the one part of the ground that also uses it as a tool to voice anger and abuse at whoever they target at any one time. Itr was the same in the West Stand. I understand that many who go in there are maybe younger, niave and easily led but we really need the north bank to be our twelve man, provide vocal support and energy to the team. Save the chanting against RM to the car park or at the end, not during the game.

m'eh, staying away. I have gone one step further by spending the last two home games in peaceful protest submerged under water

Only if you accept that the death of the club is an inevitability, which I certainly don't.

If there is any chance of the club surviving to move into Fossets, then the only logical approach is to continue to do everything to keep the club alive until that point. And the approach adopted by those who have posted of their or their acquaintances decision to boycott is not one based on a logical decision that the club is doomed and therefore that its end should be hastened but by a deep hatred of RM, with the club being collateral damage in their efforts to unseat him.

While there is life there is hope, and I have no time or sympathy for those who refuse to support our club in our time of need because of who the current owner is.

Personally I don't go much anymore this mainly being down to Ron...I am entitled to do this and care little if I have your sympathy or not.
Will a move to fossetts will mean additional revenue streams for the club?....possibly but I have my doubts.
Do I want the club I have supported for 35 years to die....absolutely not, however realistically I do not see it surviving while Ron is here...cue a chorus of ''what alternatives are there?''...one would be for Ron to find outside investment (by offering a stake in the fossets developement )from a partner or partners to ensure that there is a future for the club.

Definitly a relation to Ron, if not the little weasel himself!!

Makes me laugh how the likes of Beefy, FBM, jam man Have claimed there's no-one in support of Ron Martin, yet this guy proves that wrong on countless occasions & he certainly isn't the only one!

What makes me laugh is I havent said anything of the sort for a long long time !

I will say that the majority of people dont 'support him' and even most of those who seem intent on arguing in his favour would struggle to say he has done a good job, but yes there are a few people who seem to think he has done no wrong.

Will never understand stay away fans. I love this club it's my release from everyday life

You've pretty much answered your own question. For some it is no longer a release, but a place where they feel more anger than in their normal day-to-day life.

I still think we had the players to beat Barnet.

We had the players to avoid relegation from League 1 a few years ago aswell, until our off-field problems caused mayhem.

Coincidence? Hmm:sherlock::sherlock:

You've pretty much answered your own question. For some it is no longer a release, but a place where they feel more anger than in their normal day-to-day life.

Spot on.

Football is meant to be enjoyable. A distraction from the pressures of day to day life in general.

But for quite a few now, it is just an extension of that. If you are not enjoying it anymore and find yourself angered by the way things are going, on or off the pitch. Then why would you continue to go?!

That does not mean you are any less of a "fan" than those that continue to attend. It means you have made a personal decision and no doubt a bloody tough one at that. Which means you can perhaps concentrate on other activities that give you that enjoyment and distraction from the norm, that everyone needs.

First of all it was not the TBV starting Martin out chants it was me.

Started watching the Blues back in 87 and have been to 86 grounds and watched 100's of games.

I am a true fan and this season I refused to go because RON MARTIN has ruined my club.

I decided that if I could not support the team (as I have so much hatred of Ron Martin) than that is not fair to the players, so decided to stay away.

However Saturday I thought I would go along and support the team.

What I witnessed was pubs empty, colours not being worn as much and a real lack of passion from the fans

This was all before game had even started

All I want to say is while that man is in charge of our Club I will not be back at Roots Hall and I feel gutted typing this.

I love the ground, the fans and the team but I hate 1 man.

I have seen what many have written on here about dont go if you dont want to support the team. So I wont go, as all I want to do is let Martin know how I feel.

Looking forward to BBC essex going forward

If it was you who started the Martin chant on Saturday, then have you any idea who also started it against Exeter, at exactly the same moment we went a goal down ???

I can handle poor football but not a poor chairman...I doubt that I am alone in that.
I respect those that choose to continue to go, as they should respect mine not to.
With regards the chanting, as a group of fans or indeed customers whats wrong with actually being vocal against what is wrong with our club and the main culprit who is dragging it through the dirt?

Regarding the 'Martin Out' chants, I said a few years back when we went down without a fight (and the players without a payslip) that Ron has gotten away with a hell of a lot without any real uprising from fans. I dislike Martin for what he's doing/done to my club and with no direction from coming from him, it's hard to see how Sturrock can take the team where he wants to as a result. It's hard to see where we're heading, where we'll be in two/three years time and if we're going to survive. That is a huge problem for me and Martin is the cause of this.

I believe we should support the team, but I was pleased when the 'Martin Out' chants started on sat. The man needs to know how many people feel and how else are football fans supposed to vent their anger and frutration? With him staying I can't see much of a future tbh. Not going up last year has hurt us big time and with crowds dwindling, I can't see a happy ending.

Martin Out!!!!

I started it I think

Which is entirely your prerogative TB, BUT.........as I commented yesterday in the other thread, do we (as fans) see that chants like these are productive to the team and it's supporters or do they merely create a negative vibe ?

Let me expand on my thoughts here and ask the following: -

1 - Why are these chants started ONLY when we concede and not at a more appropriate time (before the game, after the game, throughout the entire game or in another format).
2 - Does everyone from the North Stand join in, or it is the minority. I would say the minority and in truth, the rest of the stadium doesn't necessarily hear them anyway.
3 - Has it created a bad feeling in the North Stand (a place that we now occupy through enormous efforts by you TB and others), for which you should be congratulated by the fans AND the Club, or has it created arguments. The answer, is arguments, and on both occasions.
4 - Could this jeopardise our future occupation of the North Stand - maybe, maybe not, but is it worth the risk ?
5 - Has it fuelled further problems amongst the fans who then target their own moronic abuse at our own players ? Yes, it did, though the guy in question on Saturday was bordering on moronic from the start, but the extra chants (possibly) didn't help and could have pushed him into directly abusing our players, which has no place in the North Stand or stadium per-say.
6 - Our normal singing from the North Stand is good natured, sometimes personal, more often fun, and ALWAYS flattens any opposition support. Did Saturday and the Exeter game give their fans fuel to mock us......yes, it did and let's be specific, Barnet brought one man and his dog of which, 12 sang, 9 of them hadn't yet entered puberty, and the rest as old as me, but I watched them as they found great delight in mocking us about the Martin chant. Quite honestly, it is my opinion that we sounded nothing more than petulant and childish, and were merely reacting to the Chairman, simply because things weren't going our way.
7 - Does anyone truly believe that these chants will make an iota of difference to the Chairman's position, is he likely to walk, just because he is chanted at? No, I don't think so, he is a business man (however good or bad) and is likely to conduct himself in a professional manner, so shouting at him, just won't work.
8 - Could those who share the chants find a better method of messaging this? Would others support them, it certainly sounds like it from reading the messages here, and I'd say they carry more weight then some random chants at a time the team needs us most.

I am NOT, please suggesting that we shouldn't voice our concerns, but what I do feel is that in the method currently used, we are actually devaluing the fantastic support (as supporters of the team and club) that is generated from the North Stand (specifically).

And finally, am I positioned to express these views. Yes, I think so, as a season ticket holder for the last 5 years, I have NOT renewed in the family stand, as the Club refused to sell me a family ticket (me and my son) into the North Stand, which, for him to maintain his interest, is the ONLY place he wishes to watch the games, and why.........because of the level of support and singing which the North Stand creates, but have we walked away..........no, we still pay £28 to stand and sing up.

Just some thoughts.

UTB

I hope many fans give Ron a hard time again tonight with only the east open. Nice and close to make him uncomfortable for 90 mins.

The bloke is a parasite and the sooner he goes and new blood with fresh ideas come in the better. If that takes admin and a 10 point deduction to get us there then so be it. Its plainly obvious that with the current squad and embargo that we will not get anywhere the points we got last year. Especially when Britt returns to watford in january.

Just for the record , i would say that most of what has happened at the club is down to one man and his inability to run the football club.

Players not getting paid for months on end and not putting any effort in. The same league 1 squad which most of is now playing league 1 or above which was deemed not good enough to keep us in the league.

Alienating of local businesses by non payment which has lead to hardship for quite a few in our local community.

Non payment of staff whom work at the club and have bills to pay etc.

Completely alienating the local community many of whom are fans who now refuse to attend matches thus our attendances have dropped significantly.

In short we have gone from a top league 1 side with championship aspiration and very good gates to a very mediocre league two side who pulls in average gates.

All of the above are down to having mucher bigger ideas than pockets, I dont buy into this its the economy etc.

Look at orient FFS. Much smaller gates and have comfortably stayed in league one as have many others including stevenage who have very small gates but are run well.

Ron just doesnt know how to run a football club and is too egotistical to ask for help or sell.

The bloke has to go end of.

I hope many fans give Ron a hard time again tonight with only the east open. Nice and close to make him uncomfortable for 90 mins.
The West is open too.

Personally I hope everyone gets behind the team and gives the team the support they deserve.

with the squad how it is at the moment whether you blame Martin or not we need to support the players on the pitch!
Martin Out chants do not help once the game gets under way, and when i was in the north bank last time it was a small minority that chanted it and the rest try getting behind the boys!
We all know that a winning blue side brings in more fans which means more money so lets get behind our depleated squad and hope we go on some sort of run to bring in big home gates!!

Like we have been every game so no change required

yes and no even sturrocks comments show that if i didnt finish work to late id be there supporting the team. the support is at its best when your leading it scott ..

also to everyone with the martin out chants thats the only thing that makes it not enjoyable for me feel the chanting is spliting the crowd again.

We had the players to avoid relegation from League 1 a few years ago aswell, until our off-field problems caused mayhem.

Coincidence? Hmm:sherlock::sherlock:

Agreed we did end up with players after January who could have kept us up that season.

Difference is the money problems had been going on for months then, the players so far have only had one delay of a few days. I wouldnt put Barnet down to them not getting paid.

Even with the embargo we had enough to beat Barnet which is the disappointing thing.

The bloke is a parasite and the sooner he goes and new blood with fresh ideas come in the better. If that takes admin and a 10 point deduction to get us there then so be it. Its plainly obvious that with the current squad and embargo that we will not get anywhere the points we got last year. Especially when Britt returns to watford in january.

Just for the record , i would say that most of what has happened at the club is down to one man and his inability to run the football club.

Players not getting paid for months on end and not putting any effort in. The same league 1 squad which most of is now playing league 1 or above which was deemed not good enough to keep us in the league.

Alienating of local businesses by non payment which has lead to hardship for quite a few in our local community.

Non payment of staff whom work at the club and have bills to pay etc.

Completely alienating the local community many of whom are fans who now refuse to attend matches thus our attendances have dropped significantly.

In short we have gone from a top league 1 side with championship aspiration and very good gates to a very mediocre league two side who pulls in average gates.

All of the above are down to having mucher bigger ideas than pockets, I dont buy into this its the economy etc.

Look at orient FFS. Much smaller gates and have comfortably stayed in league one as have many others including stevenage who have very small gates but are run well.

Ron just doesnt know how to run a football club and is too egotistical to ask for help or sell.

The bloke has to go end of.

Agree with most of what you say bar those two points.

Administration wont achieve anything, Ron still owns the stadium and is the biggest creditor.

Attendances are down because we are in league two, not because of some protest, even if everyone loved Ron we would struggle to pull in big crowds. As you say we still get bigger crowds than Orient and Col U who are in the league above us...

As for Stevenage they are not run well, they are bankrolled by wealthy owners, which as nice as it is isnt a sign of being well run.

Back