• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will never understand stay away fans. I love this club it's my release from everyday life, something I can do with my kids etc. 33 years this year I have been going and will to the day I die. For all those who say they are fans but don't go, please explain how not going helps the CLUB, financially, the team on the pitch etc. In no way can it be a positive thing. So please don't come on and pretend you support the team, you are just punishing it further. Another 500/1000 fans through the turnstile would make such a difference. UTB, true fans.

Spot on,you have to look at some of sturrocks selections left a midfielder/winger on the bench in favour of a leftback to play in midfield.Should he have put Tomlin in midfield as he was claiming to be an attacking one,and Eastwood up front he supposed to be a striker but was made to play in midfield.
As for the youngsters,whats the point having them on the books or even in the club if you are not prepared to give them a try,why did he drop Bentley he has been ok in the games that he has played in goal,we all remember how well the youngsters did for Crewe last season so give them a chance.

Sturrock decided against playing 442 and chose 4-3-1-2 with 3 more centrally based midfielders and Freddy behind the front two.

This formation has proved successful against Exeter so you can understand why he went with it in the absence of Spicer.

He also obviously saw Straker as a better option in the middle of the pitch, and cant argue with that seeing as Martin bottles every challenge he goes in for.

As for youngers the point in having them is for them to develop and be used when ready. I totally agree with playing Smith ahead of Bentley due to his experience, although he didnt look great but then he hasnt played much yet.

That is the biggest load of bollocks ever. Was Ron Martin on the pitch, did he back off and fail to make a tackle on Ricky Holmes during his mazy run leading up to his goal? Did he fail to block a shot at the near post? No. He didn't. Saturday was not his fault, imo it was down to a goalie returning without full confidence, and a midfield playing in an unfamiliar set up. Not down to Martin, but Sturrock's selections not doing their jobs.

Sturrocks selection was a result of the embargo so Ron certainly contributed. Saying that I still think we had the players to beat Barnet.

But the players need the support more for 90 minutes ! There lies the issue.

I am never a fan of "Out" chants, however I understand the reason why people do.

Cant we come to a compromise and if people do hate Ron that much, yet also love the team, chant "Martin Out" when no players are on the pitch (ie before the game and half time), but any time that the players are on the pitch, REGARDLESS of the score, support the players 100% !

If you read tweets, players love to be supported, and its probably unfair that they do not get this if we are too busy screaming for "Martin Out" !

UTB's

Negative chants aside I meant to comment before thought the support from the Blue Voice in the first half was fantastic.

Ladies surely we are not arguing over a Ron Out chant, i dont agree with it during the game so i just dont sing simple as.
so far this season TBV have been great and i said a few times now that we need to ensure the hard work isnt undone by petty arguments or silly chanting.
UTB

Why was the set up unfamiliar? Due to a lack of midfielders due to an embargo...
Sturrocks selection was a result of the embargo so Ron certainly contributed. Saying that I still think we had the players to beat Barnet.
The selection was due to Spicer being stupid enough to get sent off and Leonard not being fit. Absolutely sweet FA to do with Ron.

I've never understood why the Ron out chants go on during the games anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to get to the ground for when he gets there and shout whatever comments you want to make directly at him rather than at the players when they go 1 down.

Likewise after the game, go back to the car park again and protest until he's left.

That way the target of your anger gets it directly while the fans in the ground don't have to listen to petty in fighting between fans and can enjoy the game

What a joke. We have all been 100's of times and we keep going because we are southend through and through. You turn up once in a blue moon and start chanting Ron out. Please stay away and dont come again. Your not wanted. Don't even tune your radio in because your not interested.

Don't really see how this is a joke. Someone is finally taking action about their hate for Ron and is making a point by not coming. I'm sure he'd like to come but feels so strongly about his point that he doesn't. Strong will power IMO

It may have been badger74 on this occasion, but it has been others previously. Surely a banner or even an old bedsheet with the intended wording, placed on the empty seats in the North/ West corner would be better?

Negative chanting during the games, especially when losing, does absolutely nothing for the team or for the club. I know that it spoils the enjoyment for some of the floating supporters who decide not to come as often and also causes a divide amongst our own supporters. Surely as a supporter base we should be united in times like this, and one thing we all agree on is that we love this club. So lets back the players and management, they have been absolutely fantastic and dignified throughout all this and IMO cannot be doing anymore.

Once the final whistle has gone, chant what you like, better still speak with Ron as he leaves the ground, just please no more chanting during the game when we should be united and backing the boys.

UTB

The selection was due to Spicer being stupid enough to get sent off and Leonard not being fit. Absolutely sweet FA to do with Ron.

Oh come on OBL, every squad should have 3 central midfielders and as McCallister pointed out he would have signed last week but couldnt because of the embargo.

As I said we still had players good enough to beat barnet, but to say the embargo isnt having any effect just isnt true.

Bollocks mate. I haven't been to a home match since 2005 because of what's happening at the club, out of principle. Not based on rumours - based on facts that I am 'privileged' to know due to my position and contacts.

Had I been there, I'd have expressed my displeasure at the cancer within the club too. It's not the fans who aren't wanted...

Translated: I shall watch my club slowly die from lack of income, while keeping my hands in my pockets because of my so-called principles. If the club should survive because of the efforts of those who understand the difference between OUR team and a transient owner, I shall return to enjoy the benefits.

I fail to understand how a fan can boycott his own team and still call himself a fan.

:nope:

Don't really see how this is a joke. Someone is finally taking action about their hate for Ron and is making a point by not coming. I'm sure he'd like to come but feels so strongly about his point that he doesn't. Strong will power IMO

Absolutely. Show your displeasure at the Murder by joining in throttling the Victim. Really strong will power.

Selling Hall and Ferdinand and having Spicer get himself sent off hasn't help the club's midfield much either.

Kay, do you really think Spicer and Leonard would be first team regulars if Sturrock was able to bring in the players he wanted to?

Granted, injuries and suspensions are not the fault of the Chairman. But not having even remotely acceptable back up (due to the embargo) is I am afraid. Especially when the likes of Grant, Kane, Hall and Mohsni have been off-loaded. With the manager having a difficult time addressing that, through no fault of his own.

Personally I can't imagine a time where I will stay away but that's just me, if anything I'm a glutton for punishment and even more determined to go if we're in trouble. I respect those who have chosen to stay away and I wouldn't criticise that stance, it's fully understandable.

A couple of years ago I got criticised up at Hartlepool for singing songs about the state of the club, IIRC it was when the players had not been paid and Brushy had just been booted. I was a bit naive and didn't really see what I was doing wrong but I accept now I should have been getting behind the team.

I seem to remember Jobson being very upset after the pitch invasion and 'Jobson out' chanting at the directors box. He soon left the club after that. Did something there didnt it!

I remember Jobson out chants and the boycott peaking in 1992. I think Jobson left maybe in 1998. That's not soon after and IMO had far more to do with his health than fans' protests.

Translated: I shall watch my club slowly die from lack of income, while keeping my hands in my pockets because of my so-called principles. If the club should survive because of the efforts of those who understand the difference between OUR team and a transient owner, I shall return to enjoy the benefits.

I fail to understand how a fan can boycott his own team and still call himself a fan.

:nope:

It's the other way round isn't it? Those boycotting will be speeding up the demise and looking to bring things to a head; those going are the ones trying to watch the club die slowly.

Ultimately the chants are pathetic when sung in response to the team falling behind. It suggests that a win on the pitch and everything will be rosy again.

I remember Jobson out chants and the boycott peaking in 1992. I think Jobson left maybe in 1998. That's not soon after and IMO had far more to do with his health than fans' protests.

It's the other way round isn't it? Those boycotting will be speeding up the demise and looking to bring things to a head; those going are the ones trying to watch the club die slowly.

Ultimately the chants are pathetic when sung in response to the team falling behind. It suggests that a win on the pitch and everything will be rosy again.

I think this is about right. Those no longer going because of their feelings towards Ron (and there are hundreds and hundreds) are in their own way putting the squeeze on him. Unfortunately it will of course put further pressure on the club itself. But I think those staying away, now feel completely and utterly helpless. And perhaps feel the best way forward is for the club to slip into Admin or even Liquidation. It's a sorry state of affairs when previous hardcore fans feel this way. But unfortunately that by the looks of it, is the cancerous feeling that is spreading rapidly amongst an already dwindling fan base.

Only if you accept that the death of the club is an inevitability, which I certainly don't.

If there is any chance of the club surviving to move into Fossets, then the only logical approach is to continue to do everything to keep the club alive until that point. And the approach adopted by those who have posted of their or their acquaintances decision to boycott is not one based on a logical decision that the club is doomed and therefore that its end should be hastened but by a deep hatred of RM, with the club being collateral damage in their efforts to unseat him.

While there is life there is hope, and I have no time or sympathy for those who refuse to support our club in our time of need because of who the current owner is.

I still vividly remember the chants of Rowley out.

I learned my lesson regards chanting for a manager to be sacked when I went to see Grays three seasons ago and the supporters started chanting for the manager to be sacked. I did what they were chanting and was arrested for indecent exposure and am now on the sex offenders' register.

You are Ronnis favorite nephew and i claim my fiver,bossy boots.

Definitly a relation to Ron, if not the little weasel himself!!

Makes me laugh how the likes of Beefy, FBM, jam man Have claimed there's no-one in support of Ron Martin, yet this guy proves that wrong on countless occasions & he certainly isn't the only one!

Back