• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not just Ferguson, but the entire squad they have... surely someone has to question how they have put that together coming straight out of non-league.

I guess it's partly that he was at Balckpool and Fleetwood is close by ( I think ? ) , so he doesn't have to move....

Another Crawley situation - a Club clearly living massively above the means dictated by the Football League in relation to wages v turnover, but which manages to do so using very good (dodgy) accounting and a wealthy benefactor.

Because they can offer them what they request as they can afford it. Plus chances are they'll be paid every penny when it is time to pay them. No such worries about it in that respect. And geographical reasons in addition to being a club on the up, like Crawley and Stevenage.

And yet people say who would buy Southend when there are clubs such as Crawley and Fleetwood who have rich owners without the fans knowing beforehand.

Could those who suggest we have no option other than Ron please answer this? I bet you won't

Because they can offer them what they request as they can afford it. Plus chances are they'll be paid every penny when it is time to pay them. No such worries about it in that respect. And geographical reasons in addition to being a club on the up, like Crawley and Stevenage.

With respect, the only reason they can afford to pay such mammoth wages is because they are bankrolled by millionaires, who ringfence player wages and bonus payments in Escrow-type accounts away from the watchful eyes of the Football League. How else do you explain an average playing staff wage over 100% higher than the League average supported by the lowest crowds in the League?

And yet people say who would buy Southend when there are clubs such as Crawley and Fleetwood who have rich owners without the fans knowing beforehand.

Could those who suggest we have no option other than Ron please answer this? I bet you won't

Very simple. Because to buy Southend United, you'd have to buy off Ron. Buying off a Chairman who has vested all of his tangible assets and taken out numerous unsustainable loans to realise a property empire which stands to make him a fortune is going to take an offer of many many millions of pounds. Nobody in their right mind is going to put up that kind of cash to purchase a League 2 Club which is going nowhere fast.

With respect, the only reason they can afford to pay such mammoth wages is because they are bankrolled by millionaires, who ringfence player wages and bonus payments in Escrow-type accounts away from the watchful eyes of the Football League. How else do you explain an average playing staff wage over 100% higher than the League average supported by the lowest crowds in the League?

Which is precisely why well known players are going there. Bet you wouldn't mind someone in charge putting a level of investment close to that. Either someone who can or Ron.

Investors would be better off putting it all on red than buying the club.

Well, for a start they sold Jamie Vardy to Leicester during the summer for £1m, and have since invested that in the squad. Gillespie aside, I don't remember them splashing too much cash in transfer fees, instead opting to source free agents. They are Crawley-esque in the sense that they're cash-rich at the moment, but their financing doesn't come with the same suspicious tags. Andy Pilley's simply a successful, local businessman. They also haven't exactly splashed an awful lot of cash to get here, unlike Crawley, it's been a project in the making for something like a decade. Pilley's also invested in the club's infrastructure in an attempt to keep the club's momentum, including the flush new stand which cost something like £4m.

It is a shame we can't attract someone who could bankroll us for some considerable time because the longer we miss out on renewed investment I'm afraid we will almost certainly miss out on any good thing on the pitch consistently. At the moment it'll be a hard slog to get promoted again but like last time if we did pull it off it will not last. I think had we gone up last year we would have faces a hell of a battle to avoid coming straight back down again. Also we haven't got anyone who could be sold for anywhere near the £1m region as I think Fleetwood did. Please don't say come next summer Eastwood will be talked about in that category.

They also haven't exactly splashed an awful lot of cash to get here, unlike Crawley, it's been a project in the making for something like a decade.

I don't think that's exactly true. In fact I'm pretty sure that Fleetwood's Conference winning squad cost more in transfer fees than Crawley's did. People talk about them selling Vardy but they'd signed both him and Andy Mangan for huge fees twelve months earlier.

The Ferguson deal sounds like it's mainly about the fact that Blackpool and Fleetwood are close and their chairmen are friends. There was a story on Sky Sports earlier in the week suggesting that it was Blackpool who were pushing the deal to get Ferguson games.

Its simple they have the money to pay his wages .

So in the eyes of the league he earms 1000pw , but in reality he earns 1000 pw plus 5000+ pw in expenses

Can attract Barry ferguson from Birmingham? Granted he is 34, but still a classy midfielder.. Discuss!

Tell me why you care? Tell me why he's gone there other than for the money? He's at the end of his career and will leave them for nothing. Why they want to sign players on their way down is their own business, but surely we don't. All Fleetwood will get out of this is the opportunity to spunk a lot of money in a short space of time. The Crewe model which saw them have 2 of the best players in the division and sell them for around £6m is the one to be envious of.

Back