• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CC51DAS

President
Well this is a turn-up ! Ron must have has beaten some tough competition. He seems pleased - apparently award to be presented at Wembley.

Chairman Ronnie has issued a Statement and as I can't get the link to work I have posted it on here:

"Club Statement"

Some decisions in Life are:

• Easier to make than others

while others are

• Difficult to make

and others are relatively straightforward

• Commonly known as “No – Brainers”

and then there are those decisions which are simply

• influenced by emotion

The decision made by the Football League to bestow the honour of their ‘Chairman of the Month ‘ award for March 2013 was one of those decisions and one I instinctively know is correct and will be in the best interests of Southend United Football Club.

Most people associated with the Club are currently thinking of “the day out” at Wembley.
The 7th April will be a Special Day, a day in the Club’s history….a day for the Town of Southend. This award, which will be presented to me on the pitch at Wembley just prior to the singing of the National Anthem will clearly put the club in an even greater spotlight.

I too will look forward to “our day out” but as Chairman my responsibility and focus must also be on the wider interests of “Southend United”. So let me make it clear that no matter how prestigious this award may be I will not let it overshadow the achievement of the team that day, even though I intend to join the lap of honour should the team win.

In case you are not fully familiar with the qualities needed for the Chairman of the Month award let me remind you of the key criterion. The panel choose candidates who have displayed:

• Outstanding integrity in their business dealings
• Acute awareness of fan base preferences
• Sophisticated Public Relations skills
and
• Decisive and fair-minded decision making

As can be seen there is no room for emotion.

So it is indeed a great honour to receive this award and one which I feel fully vindicates my decision to sack Paul Sturrock and the manner in which I did it. By offering him the chance to manage at Wembley showed that I only had the best of intentions and his wider interests as well as those of the club at heart. This was neither an easy nor an emotional decision to make but was a very hard call for me and now at least I have gained some wider respect and recognition for the role I have played which will be recognised in no lesser place than the home of English football.

Contrast this with
• The efforts and achievements of the team
In reaching Wembley

To do this they have had to beat along the way relatively low League teams such as

o Wimbledon
and
o Oxford
and other teams who are in the League above, but who are clearly not very good, such as
o Orient
and
o Brentford

Whilst these opponents have not been good enough…..losing to Southend United in a cup competition is by any standard poor - ALL these Teams’ playing budgets are either considerably more or considerably less than Southend United’s.

Fortunately we fall in the Southern half of the competition and do not have to play teams such as

o Morecambe

who are not in the same League as us.

They say

“there is no sentiment in football”

I do not agree, we are all human and have to understand the emotions influenced by our decisions.

But in making their decision here, as I say at the beginning of this Statement, the Football League have recognised my talents and my award will serve the wider interests of Southend United…..its success and growth whilst remaining conscious of what is fair and just. These may not be sentiments common to Football but it is no surprise that I have received this honour in view of the way I want this Club to be run.

For all these reasons I know this will only serve to make for an even greater day out regardless of who leads the Team out and manages them at Wembley.
I am delighted that over 28,000 fans have bought tickets and will see me presented with my award. They have paid for that privilege and I am sure will agree it will be the highlight of their day.

Ronnie Martini
Chairman

Yes, it is a pity it is 1st April, so that this humble statement by our loving chairman will not be taken as a serious matter.!:winking:

Today is April 1.

MjAxMi0yMTMwMGFiNWI1NmJlOTEx.png

Back