• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Doncaster was the 1st leg of a playoff semi final! Hardly nothing to play for!

Southampton was just the end of a great season of adventure that we all expected to end in relegation after two successive promotions.

I think you will find that it was the second leg, the first being at our place and finishing 0-0. My point was that, and being at both games, the Southempton game was always an end of season jolly up for us with no pressure or tention. The Doncaster game was different initially, but the chanting and singing only started when we were 4 down if i remember rightly so again the game was lost by that point. However, we were very vocal at the start and during the build up.

My point is that we dont appear to be a set of fans that support when things go against us, we dont give the impression at times of a fan base who tries to help the team, if anything our actions go against the team. The atmosphere at Southampton and Doncaster are extremely rare. Last season against Orient was the last time i can remember the whole ground getting behind the team. As ive said recently we could do with taking a leaf out of the Palace Ultras book, non stop from start to finish their singing.

I think you will find that it was the second leg, the first being at our place and finishing 0-0. My point was that, and being at both games, the Southempton game was always an end of season jolly up for us with no pressure or tention. The Doncaster game was different initially, but the chanting and singing only started when we were 4 down if i remember rightly so again the game was lost by that point. However, we were very vocal at the start and during the build up.

My point is that we dont appear to be a set of fans that support when things go against us, we dont give the impression at times of a fan base who tries to help the team, if anything our actions go against the team. The atmosphere at Southampton and Doncaster are extremely rare. Last season against Orient was the last time i can remember the whole ground getting behind the team. As ive said recently we could do with taking a leaf out of the Palace Ultras book, non stop from start to finish their singing.

This exactly highlights the point I made early, out HOME support is a joke, and the reason our home form has been crap for years.

This exactly highlights the point I made early, out HOME support is a joke, and the reason our home form has been crap for years.

Our home support is not all a joke, personally I think compared to over 80% of clubs in our league we have a better home atmosphere! look at oxford last weekend hardly a peep same for Hartlepool and many more

Personally, I think our home support is one of the worst in the bottom two divisions.

Also, without getting into a debate, I think the TBV section self publicises itself for being a lot louder than it actually is. At times, it becomes a little tiresome reading the self glorifying posts on here when our home support is poor. As for the fans no longer being able to sit in the North Bank, this was down to more than a few individuals - most spent more of the game goading 120 away fans then they did watching the actual game.

#justsaying

How can exactly can you gauge how good our home support is against other teams? Without spending several months visiting the other grounds in the lower league as a home supporter, canvassing fans opinions etc, I dont see how you can compare. As someone who has been to a fair few away games over the years I dont recall a home support vociferously backing their team for 90 mins, but plenty of library-like home atmospheres.
Ive heard our support being very poor but I also remember when the North Bank was brought back it was a great decision and really made a difference at the end of the 2011/12 season.
The support is not great at the moment mainly because of one man- Ron Martin. Fans are disgruntled at the stadium, the embargo, the decision to employ Phil Brown, a man who it is quite hard to like in my opinion. There is an air of resignation about the place, becasue we are unlikely to challenge for promotion.

Our home support is not all a joke, personally I think compared to over 80% of clubs in our league we have a better home atmosphere! look at oxford last weekend hardly a peep same for Hartlepool and many more

I didn't say there wasn't any noise made. It's the regularity of abuse based noise that I think has such a factor on our poor home record. It's been poo for a long time.

The abuse our players get in their first game for the club is crazy. Players have literally been hounded out of this club because their own fans get on their back and destroy them. Paul SMith being the latest of these.

I'm not trying to suggest that a lot of what TBV has attempted to do in the last 5 years is bad. Some has actually been superb, but then general atmosphere around Roots Hall is a vile one.

Maybe it's Ron's fault, and fans are so on the edge of anger before games start that it doesn't take long for them to lose the plot.

Personally, I think our home support is one of the worst in the bottom two divisions.

Also, without getting into a debate, I think the TBV section self publicises itself for being a lot louder than it actually is. At times, it becomes a little tiresome reading the self glorifying posts on here when our home support is poor. As for the fans no longer being able to sit in the North Bank, this was down to more than a few individuals - most spent more of the game goading 120 away fans then they did watching the actual game.

#justsaying

Lol there is no north bank because we decided not to press the club on it, in conjunction with the good support we had in W block for the Plymouth game.

Come in W block next game you will realise how loud and positive it really is!

Talk is cheap come and educate yourself

How can exactly can you gauge how good our home support is against other teams? Without spending several months visiting the other grounds in the lower league as a home supporter, canvassing fans opinions etc, I dont see how you can compare. As someone who has been to a fair few away games over the years I dont recall a home support vociferously backing their team for 90 mins, but plenty of library-like home atmospheres.
Ive heard our support being very poor but I also remember when the North Bank was brought back it was a great decision and really made a difference at the end of the 2011/12 season.
The support is not great at the moment mainly because of one man- Ron Martin. Fans are disgruntled at the stadium, the embargo, the decision to employ Phil Brown, a man who it is quite hard to like in my opinion. There is an air of resignation about the place, becasue we are unlikely to challenge for promotion.

I have been to enough grounds year in year out to know what there fans are like

TBV are very loud, but you need to be in the middle of it or in Block V to really hear it. The acoustics in the West really are awful.

Block W, as I've said before, is also too small. I saw quite a few people in V getting annoyed with people that wanted to stand and sing. (how dare they, they should be abusing the players :nope:)

Lol there is no north bank because we decided not to press the club on it, in conjunction with the good support we had in W block for the Plymouth game.

It may be load where the noise is coming from, but what about other areas of Roots Hall, after all can you be heard in the. South upper. This isnt a dig in any way. I can remember when home supporters had the North Bank and after many home games my dad use to say that we were quiet and couldn't be heard and he use to sit in the West Bank although we use to sing our hearts out.

It may be load where the noise is coming from, but what about other areas of Roots Hall, after all can you be heard in the. South upper. This isnt a dig in any way. I can remember when home supporters had the North Bank and after many home games my dad use to say that we were quiet and couldn't be heard and he use to sit in the West Bank although we use to sing our hearts out.

And that it's the big problem there is no ideal solution

And that it's the big problem there is no ideal solution

Personally would start with fans ejected from the ground,give them a season long ban, and let those that choose to cheer the boys on whether in victory or defeat to enjoy the game and then maybe the vocal support will return rather than being told by rebels without a brain that choose to abuse aways fans or players if they fail to perform in so called supporters eyes who couldnot pick up a prostitute let along a ball from the back of the net.

Once again "A poor me thread" has raised 9 pages,I wonder if you have the same agent as Miley Cyrus as somehow you have managed to dominate a site on the club into a me ,me ,me scenerio,whereas she has limited talent but maximised with great PR
What you seem to lack in self confidence,which is only Bravado on the outside you make up in self publicity on that I have to give you full marks

UTS

You really do talk a load of old twaddle, you aren't even old enough to know what real atmosphere at a football ground is. We didn't need TBV when the North Bank was heaving, hell we even used to get some singing and chanting from the east and west in the 70's and 80's. The introduction of all seater stadiums combined with a chairman that has managed to grind down the loyalist of supporters over the last few years means it's impossible, as things stand, to ever regain the atmosphere that you think can be achieved.

Things have changed, families can now attend matches without fear of being caught up in violence and in the main in the knowledge that their kids aren't going to see inappropriate behaviour.

In my eyes you are not much better than the morons in the South Upper mentioned in another thread. Many of us on the zone have sung our balls off for the club, goaded opposition fans and done a few things that looking back we can see may not have been too bright at the time, we have grown up, when will you ? You however seem more interested in self promotion, you act like some kind of leader, if you want to be the general for the army of 20 or so silly little boys who think they are hard at 15/16 carry on, but don't expect to get any support on here from those of us that have forgotten more about how to support our club than you will ever know.

Personally would start with fans ejected from the ground,give them a season long ban, and let those that choose to cheer the boys on whether in victory or defeat to enjoy the game and then maybe the vocal support will return rather than being told by rebels without a brain that choose to abuse aways fans or players if they fail to perform in so called supporters eyes who couldnot pick up a prostitute let along a ball from the back of the net.

Once again "A poor me thread" has raised 9 pages,I wonder if you have the same agent as Miley Cyrus as somehow you have managed to dominate a site on the club into a me ,me ,me scenerio,whereas she has limited talent but maximised with great PR
What you seem to lack in self confidence,which is only Bravado on the outside you make up in self publicity on that I have to give you full marks

UTS

Poor me don't talk such ****ing tripe!

You quote me saying about there is no real solution to the acoustics while we are at roots hall, what poor ****ing me has to do with it I don't know.

You really do talk a load of old twaddle, you aren't even old enough to know what real atmosphere at a football ground is. We didn't need TBV when the North Bank was heaving, hell we even used to get some singing and chanting from the east and west in the 70's and 80's. The introduction of all seater stadiums combined with a chairman that has managed to grind down the loyalist of supporters over the last few years means it's impossible, as things stand, to ever regain the atmosphere that you think can be achieved.

Things have changed, families can now attend matches without fear of being caught up in violence and in the main in the knowledge that their kids aren't going to see inappropriate behaviour.

In my eyes you are not much better than the morons in the South Upper mentioned in another thread. Many of us on the zone have sung our balls off for the club, goaded opposition fans and done a few things that looking back we can see may not have been too bright at the time, we have grown up, when will you ? You however seem more interested in self promotion, you act like some kind of leader, if you want to be the general for the army of 20 or so silly little boys who think they are hard at 15/16 carry on, but don't expect to get any support on here from those of us that have forgotten more about how to support our club than you will ever know.

You had terracing
You had a north bank dedicated to home support not shared

I am leader of **** all if you read back through this thread there are people who are telling me to set example which way do you want it?

I never asked for any ****ing teenagers to follow anything I do and more fool them for thinking doing so.

All I care about is seeing our club have the best support and the best team yet all I get if ****ing **** for it, yes I was wrong Tuesday night and anybody who knows me I am the first to back the team on the pitch, sad fact is you don't know me yet you feel you know enough to cast an opinion on me! I have no idea who you are but am I chastising you? No! Fact is we are all Southend and we should be uniting.

I am who I am the way I was brought up was not an ideal one to stand me in future, however not you or anybody will knock me for my support of the club or tell me that I don't know what I am talking about.

As for the morons comment, if only you knew, if only you knew the money spent by me and others pushing this forward at our own cost you would not compare me to morons in the south upper

Educate myself, I was following Southend a long time before you turned up on the scene TrueBlue. To be fair, I back my side in the right manner home and away without the need of an ego boost from a group of teenagers. And as for the need to 'educate myself', I would think that over twenty years of home and away matches with Southend and 40+ away matches with England is a pretty decent education is football atmospheres.

The idea of the North Bank and TBV was originally a pretty decent effort to be fair and I respect the efforts that went on. What I am not so keen on is the self glorifying that is on this forum and it is tiresome in my opinion. A couple of five minute spells of signing at home does not warrant 'Ultra status' which many seem to think they achieve.

As for my comments on Roots Hall being one of the worst atmospheres - this was not an attack at TBV, it was aimed at the whole stadium. The moaning at players and abuse towards our own players is shocking. People are quick to whinge, moan etc but are a lot slower in backing the team. Away from home is different, I think our away support is first class for a club of our size.

What summed it up for me was recently at home to Morecombe - they were reduced two ten men yet the ground remained silent. When I have experienced this scenario at every other stadium, the home crowd become the missing player and fully back their side with noise and passion.....

Educate myself, I was following Southend a long time before you turned up on the scene TrueBlue. To be fair, I back my side in the right manner home and away without the need of an ego boost from a group of teenagers. And as for the need to 'educate myself', I would think that over twenty years of home and away matches with Southend and 40+ away matches with England is a pretty decent education is football atmospheres.

The idea of the North Bank and TBV was originally a pretty decent effort to be fair and I respect the efforts that went on. What I am not so keen on is the self glorifying that is on this forum and it is tiresome in my opinion. A couple of five minute spells of signing at home does not warrant 'Ultra status' which many seem to think they achieve.

As for my comments on Roots Hall being one of the worst atmospheres - this was not an attack at TBV, it was aimed at the whole stadium. The moaning at players and abuse towards our own players is shocking. People are quick to whinge, moan etc but are a lot slower in backing the team. Away from home is different, I think our away support is first class for a club of our size.

What summed it up for me was recently at home to Morecombe - they were reduced two ten men yet the ground remained silent. When I have experienced this scenario at every other stadium, the home crowd become the missing player and fully back their side with noise and passion.....

Not far behind you when it comes for years of traveling home and away over 15 years for me, when I say educate yourself is not intended as a dig what I am trying to say if you was in W block for a game you would hear that songs are being sung all game some louder then others, yet you sit there and say nothing is happening when it really is, all I am doing is inviting you over to see and hear it from our part of the ground.

Ultras? How cliche I don't recall us ever calling ourselves that.

As for away support I am part of that yet you don't seem to have much wrong to say about that?

It's really not about egos at all I was lumbered with this when lee (smiffy) had to call it a day - maybe I should let it just fade away?

My take on it is that TrueBlue has many issues outside of football. He seems to be a complex character, fighting with himself, his demons, his past, and his addictions. By nature, he is an attention seeker, which in turn means he likes to be the centre of attention. Doing a Sumo at a football match guarantees people are looking at him, standing on tables at a pub. Being the big stand out guy, and the loudest in amongst teenagers, gets him noticed. When it blows up in his face, like now, he wishes he wasn't that person.

On the other side, he is as loyal a supporter as you can get. He has worked tirelessly behind the scenes. He has many times dipped into his own pocket, especially to promote TBV. If seats are broken at Roots, he will go and fix them himself. He follows Southend all over the Country, through good times and bad, and even to Scotland and Spain for friendlies.

So guys, he's held his hands up, he's been a pratt again, probably won't be the last. Lets give him some slack. I wish our club had a Thousand more like him (Toned down version of course).

Crikey what a debate...

TrueBlue is clearly as loyal as they get. I can understand why there is so much provocative speech on this thread because everyone wants to be the best fan and in the right. Each to their own. Few will get on with everyone.

I can understand when someone invests so much time, effort and money feeling that they expect a particular standard in return. You might not agree but there is no right answer. Life is about opinions. TrueBlue has paid his money and is free to vent his opinions.

However, there is a mark and it can be overstepped so step forward with caution.

No one can argue with what the lad has done for the club though. I agree with the comments from 70s North Bank above.

My take on it is that TrueBlue has many issues outside of football. He seems to be a complex character, fighting with himself, his demons, his past, and his addictions. By nature, he is an attention seeker, which in turn means he likes to be the centre of attention. Doing a Sumo at a football match guarantees people are looking at him, standing on tables at a pub. Being the big stand out guy, and the loudest in amongst teenagers, gets him noticed. When it blows up in his face, like now, he wishes he wasn't that person.

On the other side, he is as loyal a supporter as you can get. He has worked tirelessly behind the scenes. He has many times dipped into his own pocket, especially to promote TBV. If seats are broken at Roots, he will go and fix them himself. He follows Southend all over the Country, through good times and bad, and even to Scotland and Spain for friendlies.

So guys, he's held his hands up, he's been a pratt again, probably won't be the last. Lets give him some slack. I wish our club had a Thousand more like him (Toned down version of course).

Kind words but this ain't about me it's about supporting the players on the pitch or lack of from my own addition Tuesday night

Back