• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Benefit Society !

A benefits story...

my missus needed to claim ESA. This involves sending her medical report to ATOS. This was August 2013.

ATOS then decide what group you go in. Either you are unfit for work for the long term or you are able to return to work. Its one of the issues that get the news, as they have a habit of sending very ill people to work and stopping benefit.

If, after a year, ATOS have yet to make a decision then your ESA is stopped until they do. Its ok though, you get it backdated.

We are now in October 14, and still nothing from ATOS. She has complained but is told that this is normal. Whilst circumstances mean that its not the end of world for us (she has an ill heath pension, I work and ESA is only being claimed to ensure her stamp is paid), if she was single, on her own, with no other income (as most are), she'd receive nothing.

This is the sort of thing you don't hear about. You just hear about those cases (most of which are made up) where a family gets what is perceived to be a lot of money. It doesn't say how this arrived at. It is rarely explained that benefits are based on what you are entitled to. And never explained the hoops you need to jump through.

True, there may be some people who play the system, avoid work, but its getting harder and harder to do that. Quite why TV companies think things like Benefit Street make good TV, I don't know. But viewers need to understand the difference between "entertainment" and "documentary". Benefits Street is the former.

The scarey thing is that in order to bring down the defecit, this Government looks at the Welfare Bill. What it needs to do is properly deal with corporate tax evasion and avoidance. That's worth £32bn. But they wont do it. Why?

Thanks for the sharing Lord Football.
A few years back I worked for a homeless charity & too often people would be homeless, get ill, get placed in hospital etc and so not get to their Job Centre appointment. Then their money would be stopped immediately and would not start again until after a review which could take up to a year! All with no home and then no money etc. Often the person will have told the Job Centre where they were AND it made no difference, they would still be struck off the jobless lists.
You (Lord Football) are right, it is not a free for ALL in claiming monies: and very often it is the worse cases, poorest, most inadequate who suffer.

A benefits story...

my missus needed to claim ESA. This involves sending her medical report to ATOS. This was August 2013.

ATOS then decide what group you go in. Either you are unfit for work for the long term or you are able to return to work. Its one of the issues that get the news, as they have a habit of sending very ill people to work and stopping benefit.

If, after a year, ATOS have yet to make a decision then your ESA is stopped until they do. Its ok though, you get it backdated.

We are now in October 14, and still nothing from ATOS. She has complained but is told that this is normal. Whilst circumstances mean that its not the end of world for us (she has an ill heath pension, I work and ESA is only being claimed to ensure her stamp is paid), if she was single, on her own, with no other income (as most are), she'd receive nothing.

This is the sort of thing you don't hear about. You just hear about those cases (most of which are made up) where a family gets what is perceived to be a lot of money. It doesn't say how this arrived at. It is rarely explained that benefits are based on what you are entitled to. And never explained the hoops you need to jump through.

True, there may be some people who play the system, avoid work, but its getting harder and harder to do that. Quite why TV companies think things like Benefit Street make good TV, I don't know. But viewers need to understand the difference between "entertainment" and "documentary". Benefits Street is the former.

The scarey thing is that in order to bring down the defecit, this Government looks at the Welfare Bill. What it needs to do is properly deal with corporate tax evasion and avoidance. That's worth £32bn. But they wont do it. Why?

Really sorry to hear how difficult it's been for you and your missus. Sadly it's a common story and it's happening to a large section of society who's voices are going unheard.

In our case we are lucky as money is not the issue (she got pensioned out), but for the majority it is. For her its the stress of dealing with Government. In sorting out one DWP mess up (they lost her papers) her phone bill came to more than her benefit payment!!!

I'd really suggest before anyone has a pop at a someone one Welfare, they should trying claiming the stuff. Its a one way process.

I'd really suggest before anyone has a pop at a someone one Welfare, they should trying claiming the stuff. Its a one way process.

If you're a genuine UK citizen, yes that seems to be the case!!! It's only the frauds and wrong uns that find it easy!

If you obtain advice from CAB which the family i illustrated did you will then get every benefit you are entitled too !

I still think the level they receive is way too much but that is just my opinion.

If you obtain advice from CAB which the family i illustrated did you will then get every benefit you are entitled too !

Don't be a ********. Especially as you've repeatedly shown that you have very little understanding about how benefits work in this country.

Lord Football's post is extremely valid, and I don't think you should be disrespectful about something so personal (not just for Lord Football, but other people in similar situations).

I still think the level they receive is way too much but that is just my opinion.
What level and who? I think people with disabilities and illnesses should get all the help and benefits they need to live a decent life. Why should we punish people by reducing or taking away benefits which they need through no fault of their own?

God forbid you have an accident and lose your ability to work, you'd very soon change your tune I'm sure.

Last edited:
Don't be a ********. Especially as you've repeatedly shown that you have very little understand about how benefits work in this country.

Lord Football's post is extremely valid, and I don't think you should be disrespectful about something so personal (not just for Lord Football, but other people in similar situations).

What level and who? I think people with disabilities and illnesses should get all the help and benefits they need to live a decent life. Why should we punish people by reducing or taking away benefits which they need through no fault of their own?

God forbid you have an accident and lose your ability to work, you'd very soon change your tune I'm sure.

Wondering if the above is classed as an infraction?

Don't be a ********. Especially as you've repeatedly shown that you have very little understand about how benefits work in this country.

Firstly LF never entered my thinking !

Secondly you are rude !

Why don't you tackle the post and the points I've made, rather than be a cry-baby?!

I tackled your post,I remember few months ago when you were crying saying "the pub" is very quiet now that is funny.

Q? Is this family that confided all their finances with you friends of yours?
If yes, are they happy that you have shared this and if yes, are they aware of your angst over their use of the system?

If no, why have they confided in you and how can you be so sure it is not fictional exaggeration?

Finally, you choose your friends not your family, as the saying states. And a person's friends are often a barometer to gauge the said person on.:nope:

Q? Is this family that confided all their finances with you friends of yours?
If yes, are they happy that you have shared this and if yes, are they aware of your angst over their use of the system?

If no, why have they confided in you and how can you be so sure it is not fictional exaggeration?

Finally, you choose your friends not your family, as the saying states. And a person's friends are often a barometer to gauge the said person on.:nope:

No not friends just people I know and the father in law of the family told several of us at the same time !Reason why he told us because he was cheesed off watching some of us buy them drinks or pay for takeaway.

Back