• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unlucky Phil ?? He had to play a joker because the idiot took off Piggott and replaced him with a midfielder. If he had swapped him with Cassidy there would have been no need to reduce our defence at all. The guy simply panicked as he did at Stevengage and at home to Accrington. Then to really rub it in, he blames his palyers rather than himself. Time to go Brown !!

If if you listen to his post match interview. He takes full blame himself. Again, assume you wasn't at the game.

I know it is stating the obvious. But the game at Cambridge is now absolutely crucial for Southend. The resilience of the management team - the Chairman will be watching them carefully - and the players is about to be really tested.

Personally, I do think we have to persist with 4-4-2, but I am wondering whether Deegan should come in for Leonard. That may seem harsh, however, given that Leonard seems to have got his game together again but Deegan does seem to exude a will to win.

It probably won't happen but I would like to see our team really go after Cambridge from the kick-off

UTB

If if you listen to his post match interview. He takes full blame himself. Again, assume you wasn't at the game.

so you mentioned that you went to the game last, can you give us armchair fans a run down of what happened in the second half

Heard him too saying about second half even though we had the extra man, we sat off them too much. Surely it's his job to tell the players to get stuck in more and press and make the extra man count!!!! :angry:
On the radio commentary, Paul Clark said that both Brown and Dave Penney were shouting at the players to do exactly this for most of the second half!

think only around 250/300 of us made the trip, the rest sat at home on the sofa...hoping we explode so they can moan at Phil Brown negative tactics.

Clueless fans that don't go game. Maybe you would all be better supporting a premier league club, you can then stream the game from your armchairs and debate the game with a view.
That's a bit unfair Bkdside. I would have loved to go to the game but unfortunately I had to work. If it had been a Saturday, I would definitely have gone but weekday games up north are a no-go when you work till 5pm. :thumbdown:

I know it is stating the obvious. But the game at Cambridge is now absolutely crucial for Southend. The resilience of the management team - the Chairman will be watching them carefully - and the players is about to be really tested.

Personally, I do think we have to persist with 4-4-2, but I am wondering whether Deegan should come in for Leonard. That may seem harsh, however, given that Leonard seems to have got his game together again but Deegan does seem to exude a will to win.

It probably won't happen but I would like to see our team really go after Cambridge from the kick-off

UTB

For me, and I was there last night, the role of Lenny/Deegan is key to our performances and results. Last night and so many times this season I have seen the holding midfielder (whether Lenny or Tims, not so much Deegan) go missing during games. It appears to me Lenny either doesn't like the role or can't play in this position. As soon as we went a goal and a player up last night he went into attacking mode. This was the key error. He didn't need to. We didn't need to score, we just needed to ensure they didn't score. I can't name the specific games but I have seen this several times this season.

This indiscipline, coupled with Brown's inept and clueless substitutions, cost us 3 points. As captain, White should have a role to play in ensuring Lenny's disciplne and the team shape but he is not a captain and never will be. Pross and Tommo are more vocal and I think they were trying to get Lenny to 'do his job' last night when they could see he had gone AWOL. Unfortunately it was too late.

Westy was dreadful last night, so much so many in the seats were asking for him to be subbed off for the last sub! If that had happen and we stayed 4 at the back we may have returned from the 4 hour journey with a point.

Brown needs to stop blaming individual players and poor team performances and take some resonsibility for his actions and his team, otherwise he will lose the dressing room (if he hasn't already following the crazy Stevenage team selection) and the club promotion.

Can only think the people defending Brown after last night were not there. We won't go up via the play-offs as we cannot simply hold on to a lead against any side around us why will that change in the next 2 months? We get found out by half time against any side in the top half of the table..

From being the better team 11 v 11 and deserving a 1.0 lead at 45 mins we only dominated against 10 men till min 55 then fell apart as Burton upped their game. Not only are some of our players not good enough technically but mentally as well. Then again that's why they are playing in L2. Most have the speed, mobility and stamina of any average player but have not fully finished learning their trade. More time in the classroom needed and for those still not up to it a clear out is needed.

This is not knee jerk, but this match just reinforces the opinion I have had for most of the season in that even if we go up I would like to see another manager take over next year. I feel that we would be going up in spite of Brown rather than because of him. Given our resources getting into the top seven is at best no more than 'meets requirements'.

This is not knee jerk, but this match just reinforces the opinion I have had for most of the season in that even if we go up I would like to see another manager take over next year. I feel that we would be going up in spite of Brown rather than because of him. Given our resources getting into the top seven is at best no more than 'meets requirements'.

I know that my comments are from afar, but from the outside looking in, it does appear that RM has supported PB both in the back room staff and playing side of things. It does appear that despite this, PB has failed to meet the reasonable expectations that should accompany this level of support.

A manager is judged by results and ours have not been good enough or consistent enough for my liking.

This sums up the complete lack of reality in not just Southend fans but the 'modern fan' at all clubs.

PB is now in the top 30 of longest serving managers in the league. Why are we obsessed with sacking mangers especially when a club is in the position it deserves to be. On what basis do we have a right to be in the top 3?

Phil during his tenure has in the main been cack,I still shudder at the Wembley debacle!

Phil has had a fair crack of the whip and he simply cannot muster those really meaningful results,time and time again he has failed.The results against the top half have been poor,home form has been poor,style of play has(games I have seen)been poor.

I have zero confidence in Phil as his game plan seems muddled and confused,last night was the tip of the iceberg as we have rarely looked classy under his reign.

Phil must somehow galvanise his troops for the torture of the play offs which I am still not convinced we will even make!

Brown lost the plot, why panic when they equalised, we was still on top and created 3/4 chances up to the equaliser. Brown panicked by going 4-5-1....why? We was totally dominating the match yet his substitutions well and truly killed us.

No urgency, outfought and when he brought on Payne (too lightweight) and Weston (awful even he his standards) we lost all shape. We can carry one player at best but with Hurst, Payne and Weston we were outplayed by a team with a man disadvantage.

To top it off, the egotistic wonker didn't even grace the fans with an apology or a clap for our long midweek efforts to support the team.

in short - we were outplaying them but the manager panicked when they equalised on the break. To go 4-5-1 when our two up top when we were crucifying them. Brown you cost us FACT

Have to agree. If we are not winning a match by the time Brown starts tinkering with the starting 11, I tend to lose faith.
Rarely do we seem to strengthen or make a positive impact on a game when subs start happening. With the likes of Payne, Deegan etc on the bench, we should be able to mix things up in a positive way - but it rarely happens that way.

whether people like it or not, Phil will be here till the end of the season ... this has to be accepted.

Yes, Phil was to blame, as he came out and said so himself.

HOWEVER, can we not, for pity sake, just get behind the f-ing team and management to try and galvanise the team in time for Saturday.

We lost, get over it, we still, regardless if the doubters believe it have a better chance of both promotion or play offs than most teams in this league.

If indeed we dont go up, which I almost feel some people want to be the case, so they can say "see I was right about Phil ...." then yes, lets take a view then. Until then, lets try and support our team to success on Saturday shall we ?

Phil during his tenure has in the main been cack,I still shudder at the Wembley debacle!

Phil has had a fair crack of the whip and he simply cannot muster those really meaningful results,time and time again he has failed.The results against the top half have been poor,home form has been poor,style of play has(games I have seen)been poor.

I have zero confidence in Phil as his game plan seems muddled and confused,last night was the tip of the iceberg as we have rarely looked classy under his reign.

Phil must somehow galvanise his troops for the torture of the play offs which I am still not convinced we will even make!

Welcome back, been quiet on here during the last few games when weve played well and wasnt losing !

The way that people come on here with hindsight and bleet off like they are the best thing since sliced bread and Phil and the team are the worst is pathetic. Please go and support Barcelona....

This sums up the complete lack of reality in not just Southend fans but the 'modern fan' at all clubs.

PB is now in the top 30 of longest serving managers in the league. Why are we obsessed with sacking mangers especially when a club is in the position it deserves to be. On what basis do we have a right to be in the top 3?

I have no interest in what other managers do. As I have said ,given his resources he is at best 'meeting requirements'. I want a manager that exceeds this, and if he doesn't I at least want the luxury of actually enjoying the at least half the games I watch. If we were to be promoted we do not have the resources to compete with the bigger clubs, therefore we will need to push above our weight to be at the sharp end. I have seen nothing to suggest Phil can do this. I very much like the idea of keeping a manager. In my day job I have had to make people redundant and it's not nice and not something that I view lightly. But on balance I think it is crazy to think that there is not someone out there who could do a better job with the resources Phil has been given.

Ps. I didn't mention we should be in top three, you brought that up

Last edited:
whether people like it or not, Phil will be here till the end of the season ... this has to be accepted.

Yes, Phil was to blame, as he came out and said so himself.

HOWEVER, can we not, for pity sake, just get behind the f-ing team and management to try and galvanise the team in time for Saturday.

We lost, get over it, we still, regardless if the doubters believe it have a better chance of both promotion or play offs than most teams in this league.

If indeed we dont go up, which I almost feel some people want to be the case, so they can say "see I was right about Phil ...." then yes, lets take a view then. Until then, lets try and support our team to success on Saturday shall we ?

It is possible to gave a good old moan on here and then back the team 100% at the ground. Don't assume people won't be doing this

The way that people come on here with hindsight and bleet off like they are the best thing since sliced bread and Phil and the team are the worst is pathetic. Please go and support Barcelona....

But, seeing as he has blamed himself I will let you off.

I have no interest in what other managers do. As I have said ,given his resources he is at best 'meeting requirements'. I want a manager that exceeds this, and if he doesn't I at least want the luxury of actually enjoying the at least half the games I watch. If we were to be promoted we do not have the resources to compete wirmth the bigger clubs, therbefore we will need to push above our weight to be at the sharp end. I have seen nothing to suggest Phil can do this. I very much like the idea of keeping a manager. In my day job u have had to make people redundant and it's not nice. But on balance I think it is crazy to think that there is not someone out there who could do a better job with the resources Phil has been given.

Ps. I didn't mention we should be in top three, you brought that up

brilliant post and sums up what many have been saying for a while

Back