• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport Expansion

Chatting to a cabbie last night about the airport and he told me there are plans being considered for the retail park to be demolished to make way for more terminal buildings and airport parking. Not sure how feasible that is or in fact how true, but I thought to myself that if that were to happen then potentially those businesses could relocate to Fossets Farm if / when that's developed.

Chatting to a cabbie last night about the airport and he told me there are plans being considered for the retail park to be demolished to make way for more terminal buildings and airport parking. Not sure how feasible that is or in fact how true, but I thought to myself that if that were to happen then potentially those businesses could relocate to Fossets Farm if / when that's developed.
Good idea. I am waiting for the field between the new airport station and Southend Road, Rochford being turned into parking or similar.

I notice you can now use all electronic equipment (in flight safe mode) during take off and landing now other than laptops on EJ flights. You can also switch your phone on while taxiing. Think it came in 1st May.

Ryanair doing it too. I flew Aer Lingus into Southend at the weekend and they're still asking for electronic items to be switched off for take-off and landing though.

I heard the same actually

The airport used to own that land but sold when the previous owner took over he sold that for a hefty sum and just let the airport tick over. If they hadn't of sold that land they could of used the old 2nd runway and extended the opposite way and been able to take even bigger aircraft. With the internet these days and online shopping, so many retailers are struggling and companies going bust so it wouldn't surprise me. Back when I worked at the airport if I had of read this I would of said what a load of bollocks but now it's a viable option for both parties.

Ryanair doing it too. I flew Aer Lingus into Southend at the weekend and they're still asking for electronic items to be switched off for take-off and landing though.

Very much dependent on airline and makes no sense at all. Same planes, different airlines different rules. Cathay Pacific still ban on take off and landing

I believe it is a new guidance by the European Aviation Safety Agency which has led to airlines adopting these rules, so prob why Cathay Pacific hasn't taken the idea on board yet?

Slightly misleading that. Flybe and Aer Lingus Regional are both operated by Stobart so it is the same flights just with different inflight magazines. It's just going to make it slightly more tricky to book return flights.

Off to Edinburgh in August for a couple of nights, got my hopes up that I could fly from Southend, then realised it was Aer Lingus flying via Dublin so a total journey time of 13 hours. :stunned:

If anyone is into share dealing /investing then Flybe shares are being widely tipped to make a stonking recovery, this isn't advice, as always research it yourself

Easyjet have opened a summer route to Menorca. Two flights a week. Sadly they are evening flights.

Could they go further than they do now from Southend airport with a bigger runway or is there no room for expansion?

They could go further, but not with full planes, which makes the routes more expensive to fly

As for making the runway longer, you'd either have to close Nestuda Way, or the Southend Victoria line!

They could go further, but not with full planes, which makes the routes more expensive to fly

As for making the runway longer, you'd either have to close Nestuda Way, or the Southend Victoria line!

Why can't the make the runway wider?

There is loads of space.

My flights booked for the weekend of the 12th of March so only missing Barnsley away. I did check and it seems PSG are not at home that weekend so may be looking at any other possible options.

Back