• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can we just reconsider the myth that a decent striker costs a mint? Firstly the loan system works very well for clubs. We have not been to good at it though as far as strikers are concerned ( Coulthirst ) and maybe just a bit unlucky, although I do wonder about our scouting and assessment capabilities over the last few years on the striker front
Lets just take the top 2 teams, I could go through the whole league but know the answer. Other clubs also without much cash have done quite well in the market at getting in successful strikers one way or another. Two a week have been signed into league 1 since 1st October. Most have been on loan or unattached, cost very little !
So top of the league Burton Albion. Top scorer Abdenasser EL Khayati ( 8 goals ) Came on a trial , signed for nought from Dutch 3rd tier. Well done Jimmy FH good imagination and spot to go outside English Football. Next up Coventry, like most clubs here boast 6 strikers,( only one fee) Top two goalscorers are Adam Armstrong - 13 goals and Jakub Murphy 7 goals in just 6 appearances , thats erm 20 goals with both players on loan, no buying expenses players there then??
If I had the time I

Sorry finger jump. was aiming to say if I had the time and inclination could easily evidence that it is not costly at all to find very good strikers

The problem for Mooney is that he is being used as a number 9 but he is better in the 10 position. At Orient he had Lisbie in the number 9 position and he fed off of the headers, flicks etc. The bigger problem is people think when Hunt is back it will cure this problem but people forget he isn't a number 9 either. When at Reading, he had Doyle up top hence Hunts lack of goals. He has always set them up rather than score himself, as we have seen this season. So at the moment we have three number 10 type players, Hunt, Mooney and Payne. With one number 9 type of player, Piggott. Even him I wouldn't class as a number 9 either.

Maybe Mooney and Hunt could work but I think they are too similar and have never been prolific consistently.

Can we just reconsider the myth that a decent striker costs a mint? Firstly the loan system works very well for clubs. We have not been to good at it though as far as strikers are concerned ( Coulthirst ) and maybe just a bit unlucky, although I do wonder about our scouting and assessment capabilities over the last few years on the striker front
Lets just take the top 2 teams, I could go through the whole league but know the answer. Other clubs also without much cash have done quite well in the market at getting in successful strikers one way or another. Two a week have been signed into league 1 since 1st October. Most have been on loan or unattached, cost very little !
So top of the league Burton Albion. Top scorer Abdenasser EL Khayati ( 8 goals ) Came on a trial , signed for nought from Dutch 3rd tier. Well done Jimmy FH good imagination and spot to go outside English Football. Next up Coventry, like most clubs here boast 6 strikers,( only one fee) Top two goalscorers are Adam Armstrong - 13 goals and Jakub Murphy 7 goals in just 6 appearances , thats erm 20 goals with both players on loan, no buying expenses players there then??
If I had the time I

Blackpool, Shrewsbury they have spent big on forwards...if I had the time

If he continues to play the ways he has been playing
If SUFC continue to play the way we have been playing
If we continue to play the same players and formations

then no- he is not 'enough of a threat'

whether its his fault or not is a different matter

He certainly puts n more effort that he used to. He makes runs that others dont see (nothing unusual there) - is that his fault- I dont know? He doesn't shoot when he could - that is his fault, he is diving far too often (saturday was hardly the first time) - that is his fault, but he is not on his own there (cough Lenny). He doesn't challenge for headers full stop which is annoying, although no doubt others will say why bother challenging if you know you are not going to win it. He doesn't look massively confident , ie not shooting when should do, not busting a gut to get into position in anticipation of what might happen . Maybe with a bit more confidence everything would come together. I did think that Piggot looked more threatening in his 10 mins on Saturday thatn Mooney did- but maybe thats a little unfair

no

Last edited:
I think Mooney is very good. I dont think we play to his strengths. I would definitely like to see him swap places with Payne. Mooney could do a very good number 10 job and Payne has a bit more pace to benefit from it. Also with Payne buzzing around the defenders ankles, like flies on a dag, I would like to see him in the box far more. He can turn to score and a lot of defenders will either under-commit so as not to concede a penalty or over-commit and Bob's your uncle flange dooey dooey.

Not sure I'd want a 5ft5 loan striker to be honest. I'm not saying we play long ball but there are still plenty of times when our main striker would be challenging for headers, something Payne wouldn't be able to do very well. I think it's working fine as it is at the minute.

A lot of strikers especially the ones that score regularly are not team players, but more like greedy individuals. This is not mooneys game.

He works very hard for the team as do all the squad.

We are winning games and picking up points.

I still think that we are a pacy striker short of a play off place , but hope to be proved wrong

Not sure I'd want a 5ft5 loan striker to be honest. I'm not saying we play long ball but there are still plenty of times when our main striker would be challenging for headers, something Payne wouldn't be able to do very well. I think it's working fine as it is at the minute.

Mooney isn't exactly The Header King. I understand your point but its all about what we want from the front player. Payne could cause enough havoc in the box to make chances for himself and others. A lot of play that Mooney has missed out on is not about headers from crosses. Its been about getting on to the loose/forward ball, on the deck, and at times he has lacked the pace to do so.

I still rate Mooney highly and feel he has a lot he can contribute to the side. I just do not reckon its as the most forward player.

Mooney has scored 2 maybe 3 from open play in his last 36/37 games,enough for me to draw my own conclusion.

I like Mooney. He does so much work off the ball that people who dont watch what goes on off the ball,dont notice.
I remember a few year's ago when he played for the O's against us everyone booing him.as we do when we see him as
the biggest threat against us. So we were obviously worried about him then.

I was talking to some O.s fans in there bar a few weeks ago (Better Ale than ours) They asked how is Mooney doing. The dozen O's supporters we were chatting too all said the same thing, needs someone with him, but all said something i have not noticed. If he could stop being offside all the time would be higer player than League 1, but far too good for League 2. I would agree too good for Leaue 2 but League 1 level.
It show's too me how far we have come on in a short time. A player of his level is at Southend. He wont get you 20 a season but that's not the way we play. All players contribute to all over the pitch with a few obvious exceptions. A plus from Me.

Mooney has scored 2 maybe 3 from open play in his last 36/37 games,enough for me to draw my own conclusion.

Which conclusion?

a) The team is not set up to suit him?
b) The team do not look for him enough?
c) He is unfortunate?
d) He is unselfish and lays off more opportunities than he takes?
e) He is an overpaid, incompetent player that probably has something in his contract that means he must be played when available?
f) None of the above?

Oh come on mrsblue. I know you are never outspoken but give us a clue of the conclusion you have drawn. I have not got a copy of The Beano handy and could do with a chortle.

Which conclusion?

c) He is unfortunate?
e) He is an overpaid, incompetent player that probably has something in his contract that means he must be played when available?
f) None of the above?

Oh come on mrsblue. I know you are never outspoken but give us a clue of the conclusion you have drawn. I have not got a copy of The Beano handy and could do with a chortle.
I like the selection list and think D is the answer.
Orient fans came on here when he signed for us saying don't expect many goals.
I rate him higher than Corr and that will be my opinion unless we find another Eastwood.
We will never score many goals under Brown, no problem provided we continue to progress and the good football currently being played continues.

Which conclusion?

c) He is unfortunate?
f) None of the above?

g) Due to injuries he has had to play out of position, However the manager is very pleased with the recent performances with his (not first choice ) front 4 ...Mooney Payne Hurst and Worrall.....PB's words not mine

PS there's no such thing as e)

Puts in a real shift and helps us defend from the front. Really needs a Hunt along side him- someone who returns the compliment in terms of creation of chances. The partnership with Hunt looked very promising.

Which conclusion?

c) He is unfortunate?
f) None of the above?

Just my opinion,that is all,now calm down dear !

Puts in a real shift and helps us defend from the front. Really needs a Hunt along side him- someone who returns the compliment in terms of creation of chances. The partnership with Hunt looked very promising.

This is it for me I think. The Coventry and Peterborough games spring to mind instantly. He had a host of chances against P'boro and should have taken a couple. Unfortunately, the partnership didn't get a run of games due to Hunt's injury problems. If it had then I've no doubt that Mooney would be on at least 8 goals by now and we potentially could be even higher up the table (delighted with where we are though mind). At the minute he is doing a job for the team. When / if Hunt and him can get a run of games up top then I'm convinced we will see the goalscoring, poacher striker we were expecting, due to Hunt's influence on the game Mooney will be able to focus more on HIS game as a striker (scoring goals) instead of the job he is doing at the minute which is for the TEAM in my opinion. This isn't to say he will stop doing a job for the team, just that he can play the role he knows. Does that make sense?

I like Mooney. He does so much work off the ball that people who dont watch what goes on off the ball,dont notice.
I remember a few year's ago when he played for the O's against us everyone booing him.as we do when we see him as
the biggest threat against us. So we were obviously worried about him then.

I was talking to some O.s fans in there bar a few weeks ago (Better Ale than ours) They asked how is Mooney doing. The dozen O's supporters we were chatting too all said the same thing, needs someone with him, but all said something i have not noticed. If he could stop being offside all the time would be higer player than League 1, but far too good for League 2. I would agree too good for Leaue 2 but League 1 level.
It show's too me how far we have come on in a short time. A player of his level is at Southend. He wont get you 20 a season but that's not the way we play. All players contribute to all over the pitch with a few obvious exceptions. A plus from Me.

I agree with this. I dont know the stas but he is caught off side a lot. He goes too early probably because he is slow.

If he continues to play the ways he has been playing
If SUFC continue to play the way we have been playing
If we continue to play the same players and formations

then no- he is not 'enough of a threat'

whether its his fault or not is a different matter

He certainly puts n more effort that he used to. He makes runs that others dont see (nothing unusual there) - is that his fault- I dont know? He doesn't shoot when he could - that is his fault, he is diving far too often (saturday was hardly the first time) - that is his fault, but he is not on his own there (cough Lenny). He doesn't challenge for headers full stop which is annoying, although no doubt others will say why bother challenging if you know you are not going to win it. He doesn't look massively confident , ie not shooting when should do, not busting a gut to get into position in anticipation of what might happen . Maybe with a bit more confidence everything would come together. I did think that Piggot looked more threatening in his 10 mins on Saturday thatn Mooney did- but maybe thats a little unfair

no
agree with most of this except that line. I think Piggott was hopeless when he came on and lost or was second to the ball most of the time.

Back