• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jack Payne in League 1

I knew he was good but that last 30 mins today was superb, he tore the Bury defence to shreds. If he can produce that kind of form regularly we've got a real star on our hands. :Worthy:

I had a few beers with a Shrimper mate about 6 weeks ago, where we discussed and agreed how Jack was never really going to make it. He started the next game and was excellent, and has been excellent since... until tonight when he was exceptional.

Payne would benefit from playing regularly and not being left out after 2 or 3 games, which has been the situation to date. The more he plays, the more he'll learn - particularly if he listens to Hunt.

Jack is an attacking midfielder and when the team is set up to have a go then JP becomes almost unplayable,his forte is attacking not defending.

We have always rated him but last night he was truly outstanding.

I'm absolutely delighted that almost everyone on SZ are now fully behind Jack as a definite starter in 1st 11. Rating him and wanting him as 1st choice in starting 11 are two different things. Those of us who has championed his cause not just on here but on other Social Media sites can rightly feel vindicated (I did lose one follower on Twitter sticking up for Jack!).

I think carry on like he has since coming back in the side and we will see clubs queuing up although I hope he stays until end of season (as I do Bentley) so we can push for play off spot.

I think carry on like he has since coming back in the side and we will see clubs queuing up although I hope he stays until end of season (as I do Bentley) so we can push for play off spot.

Payney was rated by the Sheffield United fans and I am sure the Bury fans will think the same .......... but that doesn't mean that he is going up the leagues straight away (well not to me anyway).

Remember Power for Tranmere? Good player and now has moved on up to .......... errrhhhh ..... Wigan.

Someone above said how Payne will benefit from playing alongside Hunt and I second that.

I'm absolutely delighted that almost everyone on SZ are now fully behind Jack as a definite starter in 1st 11. Rating him and wanting him as 1st choice in starting 11 are two different things. Those of us who has championed his cause not just on here but on other Social Media sites can rightly feel vindicated (I did lose one follower on Twitter sticking up for Jack!).

A lot of the credit needs to be shared with Leonard and Atkinson. I think PB's reluctance to play Jack regularly in the hole behind the front two was that it leaves us open to being over run in midfield. I think the unbelievable engines on Leonard and Atkinson, and the sheer work they get through along with pace, means it works brilliantly. Tims similarly has a great engine.
Now we have the formation to support it it's now down to Jack- if he continues to grab his chance then he, and the team, are going places.

Sure there wasn't some LSD thrown in before that discussion ?!?:dizzy:
No drugs, alcohol aside, but he had gone a year without making an impression in any game really. He's 21 or 22 I think, so it wasn't unreasonable based on what we'd seen

Absolutely delighted to be proven wrong

A lot of the credit needs to be shared with Leonard and Atkinson. I think PB's reluctance to play Jack regularly in the hole behind the front two was that it leaves us open to being over run in midfield. I think the unbelievable engines on Leonard and Atkinson, and the sheer work they get through along with pace, means it works brilliantly. Tims similarly has a great engine.
Now we have the formation to support it it's now down to Jack- if he continues to grab his chance then he, and the team, are going places.

Seconded,

Jack wants to attack not defend,that is his thing,end of,fact:winking:

Last night showed how intelligent Jack is. For the first half, and the start of the second, he wasn't really beating any of their players. What he did then was to try different techniques until he found a successful way to get past their defenders. That 'off the shoulder' trick he does is awesome. Now I don't watch any other football except Southend matches and that's not a trick I've seen before. He kind of chips it up, twists as he chests/shoulders the ball, and leaves the defender/s for dead. Amazing.

Just like to reiterate what I said months ago. As a manager you should always play the most exciting players you have. The game is about entertainment and sometimes managers lose sight of that. Last night the old buzz of expectation was around the ground and to have that feeling back again is brilliant. Defences hate the unexpected - Payne, Worrell, Hunt and Weston, they always produce the unexpected.

I agree with all of that ............ but I also think having experienced players like Hunt and Mooney also aids Payney's cause as they create other diversions for the opposition defenders to handle. :thumbsup:

Last night showed how intelligent Jack is. For the first half, and the start of the second, he wasn't really beating any of their players. What he did then was to try different techniques until he found a successful way to get past their defenders. That 'off the shoulder' trick he does is awesome. Now I don't watch any other football except Southend matches and that's not a trick I've seen before. He kind of chips it up, twists as he chests/shoulders the ball, and leaves the defender/s for dead. Amazing.

Just like to reiterate what I said months ago. As a manager you should always play the most exciting players you have. The game is about entertainment and sometimes managers lose sight of that. Last night the old buzz of expectation was around the ground and to have that feeling back again is brilliant. Defences hate the unexpected - Payne, Worrell, Hunt and Weston, they always produce the unexpected.

I agree that buzz of not knowing if something brilliant is about to happen was definitely in the air last night. Not felt since Laurent was here really. Maybe Mohsni and Ryan Hall too. That's not me saying them players were fantastic but at times they made you feel fantastic.

I've never been convinced by JP. I thought he was too lightweight and whenever he started we seemed to struggle.

I've missed the last couple of home games as I was on holiday but my friends said he'd been playing well. I also read a match report on the blades game in one of the national papers that was glowing in it's praise of JP. However that spell in last night's game was incredible to watch. He put them to the sword. Well done JP.

I think he has bulked out a bit recently, when he is running with the ball it is hard to knock him off it without fouling him. It's great to see another young player establishing himself in the team.

I have come back onto this thread because Jack had such a fabulous game yesterday.

Some will say that he should be played as a striker and some as an attacking midfielder ................ yesterday he was right winger, left winger, central striker, central midfielder and just about any other position you would like to mention.

At one point in the second half we was play making down the right wing and I was surprised a couple of seconds later when I realised he was picking up the ball centrally just outside the penalty box ........... and a couple of seconds later he was getting to the bi-line and sending in a cross from the left wing.

I still have some worries in the games where we seem to be unable to get the ball down and play - Barnsley were in top form and I think they may have played "their game" rather than stopping us playing "our game" - I hope that makes sense.

Our next game is at home to Gillingham - so again Jack might not be marked out of the game.

Any thoughts people?

Back