• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jack Payne in League 1

Isn't the argument here about where JP would do most damage with his trickery and skill?

If so, evidence this season would lean towards him getting into goalscoring positions for himself, which I think is why those in favour of him playing upfront would suggest this is where he would be used best.

Barnsley and Sheffield United forums both agreed that he was a handful they would like in their side, because of the goals he scored in those matches, moreso than his influence in midfield.

There's an equal argument playing him deep or upfront, but for me, your biggest goal threat needs to be in the penalty box and around the 18 yard line and not halfway inside the opposition half.

He reminds me a little of Freddy at his best, when he is on the edge of the oppo box.

Isn't the argument here about where JP would do most damage with his trickery and skill?

If so, evidence this season would lean towards him getting into goalscoring positions for himself, which I think is why those in favour of him playing upfront would suggest this is where he would be used best.

Barnsley and Sheffield United forums both agreed that he was a handful they would like in their side, because of the goals he scored in those matches, moreso than his influence in midfield.

There's an equal argument playing him deep or upfront, but for me, your biggest goal threat needs to be in the penalty box and around the 18 yard line and not halfway inside the opposition half.

He reminds me a little of Freddy at his best, when he is on the edge of the oppo box.

Correct. It's really about where we think he will do the most damage, and obviously people will disagree on that point. However, as I also pointed out: what we're discussing is where he is most effective rather than if he's effective, which is a great dilemma to have.

Last edited:
Agreed, LB.

It's a great testament to how JP has come into the side and proved the doubters within our managerial set-up, as much as some fans, that he is the real deal.

I thought he was MOM last week v Chesterfield and those at Barnsley felt the same on Saturday.

Great that our MOM for the last game or two has been an attacker.

Hopefully it will be the springboard to us having a go at sides for the rest of the season.

Agreed, LB.

It's a great testament to how JP has come into the side and proved the doubters within our managerial set-up, as much as some fans, that he is the real deal.

I thought he was MOM last week v Chesterfield and those at Barnsley felt the same on Saturday.

Great that our MOM for the last game or two has been an attacker.

Hopefully it will be the springboard to us having a go at sides for the rest of the season.

Agreed - football is about scoring goals - not defending and trying to sneak a 1-0, Jack could of had a second as we recycled play after Wordsworth had hit the angle of post / bar.

sometimes you have to be strong in defence but on Saturday we managed to be creative when going forward and nullify the team with one of the best recent runs in football so more of that please!

This is the 11 page thread about Jack Payne in this division ............ I must find the time to review my previous posts and see how wrong I have been to date ...............:blush:

This is the 11 page thread about Jack Payne in this division ............ I must find the time to review my previous posts and see how wrong I have been to date ...............:blush:

Don't worry, Rigsby has already done it for you.

How wrong so many people have been about Jack .But isnt it great that the lad is proving so many wrong,i hope he signs a two year deal with SUFC ,love it to be longer but i sure he destined for higher things, in two seasons time he could be anything the way hes progressing and hopefully with a decent transfer fee he can help my beloved club become financially stable for a few years.

Payne..53 appearances...8 goals
Hunt last 53 appearances 7 goals

Jack IMO is a brilliant player and Phil should have more faith in him,Jack Lenny and when fit Deeg(changed my mind about him)as the centre 3 would be awesome if they are allowed to play without the shackles.

Yep right again !

Don't worry, Rigsby has already done it for you.

With lots of people now slagging anyone they can think of at the club, over Payne's contract. I thought it would be nice to see what they really thought last summer.

Back