• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jack Payne in League 1

He is a mix of Michael Owen and Lionel Messi but better.
Saw him destroy Tranmere couple of years ago and quite a few other appearances, his goal at Sheffield superb.
Will be great to see him prosper here but suspect he will be poached and we will replace with an oldie plagued by injury:smile:

I really like Jack Payne, still a young lad and a bit lightweight - but I think he will only get better next season. Always exciting to watch, has a few off days (don't we all...) would be interesting to see how he could
link up with Jack Bridge, who as previously said is another exciting prospect

I have come back onto this thread because Jack had such a fabulous game yesterday.

Some will say that he should be played as a striker and some as an attacking midfielder ................ yesterday he was right winger, left winger, central striker, central midfielder and just about any other position you would like to mention.

At one point in the second half we was play making down the right wing and I was surprised a couple of seconds later when I realised he was picking up the ball centrally just outside the penalty box ........... and a couple of seconds later he was getting to the bi-line and sending in a cross from the left wing.

I still have some worries in the games where we seem to be unable to get the ball down and play - Barnsley were in top form and I think they may have played "their game" rather than stopping us playing "our game" - I hope that makes sense.

Our next game is at home to Gillingham - so again Jack might not be marked out of the game.

Any thoughts people?

I would expect Jack to have a much tougher game on his hands this Saturday. Justin Edinburgh and Neil Harris are both regulars at RH on mid-week games so they know how to stop young Jack.

JP had a really good first half v Millwall in the JPT. Second half they were on him and gave him no room, booting him up in the air on both touchlines as the free kicks were not in a dangerous position. You may recall they carried on their 'good work' in the Christmas L1 fixture.

I have stated my own thoughts on how to get the best from Jack on many threads including this one ( page4/5). With Barnett in the team we have the perfect man for Jack to poach goals like he did yesterday.

I could not go to Barnsley but by the sounds of your reports and the Radio, Jack once again played far more effective by not having to worry about any role in mid-field.

I was at Peterborough and can tell you for a fact that Barnett won the first 10 out of the 11 headers he challenged for in their half. None by the way were from crosses all long balls down the middle (mainly Bentley). As we were set up for caution after our run of defeats, unfortunately JP did not gamble and run beyond Barnett until later in the game when he nearly grabbed the winner. As we can see from yesterdays game he would be much better suited pressing the oppositions last man as he is smart enough not to be offside (Mooney) has quick feet and is the best finisher at our club.

The problem is of course PB does not like hoof ball and our fans demand 2 wingers not just one. If I was Justin Edinburgh I would be worried about the Barnett/Payne combination. But not Payne getting the ball 35/40 yards from goal when he is in a midfield role. I'm not saying we revert to Sturrock style tactics but I do think we over complicate things at home and we should sacrifice some extra passes to put their back four and certainly the keeper under more pressure.

If Jack can just find that consistency. We all know how good he is. He has so much potential as well. He can look an amazing attacking player one game, and have us off our seats, and then be bullied out of the next.

like I said good player and will get better the stronger he gets with the right strength program

I would expect Jack to have a much tougher game on his hands this Saturday. Justin Edinburgh and Neil Harris are both regulars at RH on mid-week games so they know how to stop young Jack.

JP had a really good first half v Millwall in the JPT. Second half they were on him and gave him no room, booting him up in the air on both touchlines as the free kicks were not in a dangerous position. You may recall they carried on their 'good work' in the Christmas L1 fixture.

I have stated my own thoughts on how to get the best from Jack on many threads including this one ( page4/5). With Barnett in the team we have the perfect man for Jack to poach goals like he did yesterday.

I could not go to Barnsley but by the sounds of your reports and the Radio, Jack once again played far more effective by not having to worry about any role in mid-field.

I was at Peterborough and can tell you for a fact that Barnett won the first 10 out of the 11 headers he challenged for in their half. None by the way were from crosses all long balls down the middle (mainly Bentley). As we were set up for caution after our run of defeats, unfortunately JP did not gamble and run beyond Barnett until later in the game when he nearly grabbed the winner. As we can see from yesterdays game he would be much better suited pressing the oppositions last man as he is smart enough not to be offside (Mooney) has quick feet and is the best finisher at our club.

The problem is of course PB does not like hoof ball and our fans demand 2 wingers not just one. If I was Justin Edinburgh I would be worried about the Barnett/Payne combination. But not Payne getting the ball 35/40 yards from goal when he is in a midfield role. I'm not saying we revert to Sturrock style tactics but I do think we over complicate things at home and we should sacrifice some extra passes to put their back four and certainly the keeper under more pressure.

To summarise, Jack should play further forward and with at least one winger so that space is created for him.

Just like yesterday and completely unlike all of the games since Worrall was dropped.

Play him upfront where he can cause the most damage. He is a natural finisher and no last man would want him running at them, as Barnsley found out. They were scared to touch him, once he was in the area.

He can always drop into the hole to drag defenders out of position and pick up the ball if he needs to.

In the second half last Saturday we had a short corner and he nearly scored a goal reminiscent of Sir Freddy at his best.

He could go on to great things, so we need to ensure we don't let him go for the moment.

Last edited:
I keep on saying this,Play to Jack's strengths which is in the oppo third causing havoc,end of,fact.

He is a mix of Michael Owen and Lionel Messi but better.
Saw him destroy Tranmere couple of years ago and quite a few other appearances, his goal at Sheffield superb.
Will be great to see him prosper here but suspect he will be poached and we will replace with an oldie plagued by injury:smile:

Funny you should mention Owen, I've thought of late he is Owen-esque. That goal Saturday was very much in the Owen mould

Funny you should mention Owen, I've thought of late he is Owen-esque. That goal Saturday was very much in the Owen mould

It was an excellent peice of control and great shot placement.

I've seen Payne in three away games this season which is often a sterner test for a young up and coming player. In the match at Chesterfield he came on 2nd half when we were already losing andf didn't really offer much - but it was an off night completely for the whole team.

The next was at Sheff Utd where he scored a great goal and was impressive, he was picked out by Blades fans and our best player pretty much.

Ditto at Barnsley - great goal and some really great touches, it's clear he has great ability and just needs to bulk up a little and he really can go places. In one moment he pulled the ball down as it was in the air and took it past a couple of Barnsley players with ease - which my Blades supporting mate said was a highly rated moment in the game for him.

I think he is really growing and maturing well - I just hope we can hang onto him cos for my money he is headed to a bigger club than us! (but hopefully not yet)

I think as the season has gone on, it becomes more and more evident that JP is at his best when he is up front. His touch, footwork and movement cause defences real problems and he has natural goal scoring ability. If he is played up front with a bigger striker like Barnett he has someone to play off and has more of a free role to cause havoc. As mentioned if we are not going to use the long ball then we need to play at least one winger to create width otherwise our formation is too narrow and much easier to defend against.

It was an excellent peice of control and great shot placement.

I've seen Payne in three away games this season which is often a sterner test for a young up and coming player. In the match at Chesterfield he came on 2nd half when we were already losing andf didn't really offer much - but it was an off night completely for the whole team.

The next was at Sheff Utd where he scored a great goal and was impressive, he was picked out by Blades fans and our best player pretty much.

Ditto at Barnsley - great goal and some really great touches, it's clear he has great ability and just needs to bulk up a little and he really can go places. In one moment he pulled the ball down as it was in the air and took it past a couple of Barnsley players with ease - which my Blades supporting mate said was a highly rated moment in the game for him.

I think he is really growing and maturing well - I just hope we can hang onto him cos for my money he is headed to a bigger club than us! (but hopefully not yet)

If his contract is up at the end of the season and he doesn't sign then he will undoubtedly leave. If he does it will be for peanuts.

If he signs a long term deal and keeps shining we could have a player potentially worth 2million + in a season or two. If I was Ron Martin I'd be offering a him a fantastic deal to stay at this club.

I think as the season has gone on, it becomes more and more evident that JP is at his best when he is up front. His touch, footwork and movement cause defences real problems and he has natural goal scoring ability. If he is played up front with a bigger striker like Barnett he has someone to play off and has more of a free role to cause havoc. As mentioned if we are not going to use the long ball then we need to play at least one winger to create width otherwise our formation is too narrow and much easier to defend against.

Disagree. One of his real strengths is picking the ball up relatively deep and running at defences. He waltzes passed them in much the same as Messi does. I see his best position as just behind either a lone striker, or a front two.

However, at the moment we're disagreeing on how best to play a player of influence rather than discussing why he's on the pitch, and whether League 1 is a step too far. Either way, I see it as making progress, and nice problem to have.

Last edited:
Disagree. One of his real strengths is picking the ball up relatively deep and running at defences. He waltzes passed them in much the same was as Messi does. I see his best position as just behind either a lone striker, or a front two.

However, at the moment we're disagreeing on how best to play a player of influence rather than discussing why he's on the pitch, and whether League 1 is a step too far. Either way, I see it as making progress, and nice problem to have.

So apart from the penalty against Bury, can you please tell us how many goals these so called brilliant runs have created. Jack is far more dangerous with less touches and much closer to goal.

So apart from the penalty against Bury, can you please tell us how many goals these so called brilliant runs have created. Jack is far more dangerous with less touches and much closer to goal.

Who cares? I didn't say that. I said he waltzes passed people, which he does. He doesn't have the likes of Suarez to pass to.

Also, the thing with Messi is that he is the player he is, because he goes past players 20 yards from goal and into the penalty box, hence why he scores 100 goals a season!

Jack wouldn't need to worry about who to pass it to, as he will finish it off himself.

Also, playing him upfront allows a better balance behind him, with the width people crave for - Worrall & McLaughlin - with a tough tackler - Deegan/Timlin and a ball player - Wordsworth.

Just seems a better fit all round.

Not forgetting, as many have said, he now has a strong bulldozer style partner in Barnett, rather than the toe in the bath water likes of Pigott and, I'm laughing as I type this, Coulthirst!

Has jack payne not shone this season then???? Best player every game! Sometimes im not sure if people are actually watching our games

Who cares? I didn't say that. I said he waltzes passed people, which he does. He doesn't have the likes of Suarez to pass to.

Best you go to boots and laces and watch him waltzing around some training cones, if you don't care about an end result. I prefer to see him have a brilliant first touch in the penalty area and then smash it in the corner. Like the 1000 of us behind the goal at Sheffield United did.

Best you go to boots and laces and watch him waltzing around some training cones, if you don't care about an end result. I prefer to see him have a brilliant first touch in the penalty area and then smash it in the corner. Like the 1000 of us behind the goal at Sheffield United did.

When did I say I don't care about an end result? It's not his fault that if he passes to someone they miss. Or would you blame him for that?

However, I suggest you re-read my original post as you seem to have missed half of it.

As it stands we must get Payne and Leonard to sign new deals ASAP, they are very important players for us and I think the future of our club and great investment for us at present.

Back