• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues4LifeDan

Manager
So what do think is going to happen with Coker's future?
Chris Phillips stating on twitter yesterday that Brown had plenty to say about it, regarding Reading, but he didn't state what Brown said.
Personally, I think it would be a huge blow to lose him, I think it's a lot harder finding a good left back compared to a right back. We really can't afford to lose him too, if nothing else, it's another player we need to try and find, as well as all the others we need to find.

Perhaps unfairly I feel that I would be more annoyed if he went than the others. He somehow feels indicative of a cohesive dressing room, that and we won't get much for him realistically. (he's also my Mum's favourite)

The thing is if he himself Coker wants the move, if he does then try and agree a fee and let him move on, we shall find a replacement:thumbsup:

To be honest I'm surprised that a Championship club is making a move for him, not because I doubt his ability at all, but because of his form when he clearly played the second half of the season injured.

That's why for us he will be so valuable this season as he will (hopefully) be back to his best as one of the best left backs in the league, but as a Championship side I would be concerned about spending big money on a player who has been in average form and struggling with an injury for the last 6 months.

Unless Ben really wants to go, which I can see why he would as he may not get the chance again and has seen his best mate Jack Payne leave, I can't see us letting him go this summer as I don't see anyone making a really convincing offer for him.

To be honest I'm not surprised that a Championship club is making a move for him, not because I doubt his ability at all, but because of his form when he clearly played the second half of the season injured.

Amended to reflect my point of view ............ even though Cokes was not at his best he still showed that he is a very good professional and does have, for me, the ability to play in a division higher.

He has a long time to run on his contract and Reading are playing ridiculous games will silly offers. Its a case of being extremely blunt with them. Either come back with our valuation with 48hours or don't bother making any further contact. He is on a long contract and we have got a season to prepare even if you haven't.

I know will say Coker may not (we don't know) be happy with that. But the message to Cokes should be if they really wanted you and rated you they would not be making insulting offers for you.

These things become very annoying noise.

To be honest, they are treating us like a tinpot club by bidding insulting offers. It's almost like they think we will take any kind of money because we need it. Well actually, if there's one thing you should know about our chairman, he doesn't take any old offer for a player. In fact quite the opposite. You offer the respected valuation are bugger off somewhere else, we don't NEED to sell!

Perhaps unfairly I feel that I would be more annoyed if he went than the others. He somehow feels indicative of a cohesive dressing room, that and we won't get much for him realistically. (he's also my Mum's favourite)
he's also my favourite player, your mum is a good judge! reminds of Patrice Evra at his best, not the fastest or most skilful but plays with heart and brave as you need both on the ball and making last-ditch tackles. He is championship level when on form and if he does go, i'd wish him well but also expect a high 6 figure sum

The thing is if he himself Coker wants the move, if he does then try and agree a fee and let him move on, we shall find a replacement:thumbsup:

I think If I was the manager, I'd just ask Ben "Do you want to go" ? He deserves that respect after the way he's played and conducted himself here as a player. If he says yes, let him go for a realistic price with our wishes. If he says no, reward him somehow. Key player for us moving forward if fit.

I think If I was the manager, I'd just ask Ben "Do you want to go" ? He deserves that respect after the way he's played and conducted himself here as a player. If he says yes, let him go for a realistic price with our wishes. If he says no, reward him somehow. Key player for us moving forward if fit.
im sure his made it clear to PB that he wants to play at the highest level if he gets the chance so I'm sure they've talked about the offer and it wasn't enough yet, bit frustrating for Coker at the moment but must be right deal for the club, I would sell if it was £300k up front.

Really rate Coker. Last season injury took its toll but the two previous season s he was our best outfield player IMO.

Of course Reading would be attractive to him and this to me is an offer to unsettle him in hope of getting him on the cheap. I do fear we might lose him, he was very close to Jack Payne and reckon he will probably see this as a good time to move on.

Really rate Coker. Last season injury took its toll but the two previous season s he was our best outfield player IMO.

Of course Reading would be attractive to him and this to me is an offer to unsettle him in hope of getting him on the cheap. I do fear we might lose him, he was very close to Jack Payne and reckon he will probably see this as a good time to move on.

To be fair didn't play like someone who in his head was going elsewhere- certainly wouldn't have crashed into the fence trying to get a cross in against a Ryman League North team. I think he is a sensible guy. Yes nice Reading want him for their reserves (hence a reserve player offer). But injury free and a good season behind him in L1 and he will have much better offers and to play regularly.

Reading just thinking offer next to nothing, take a punt, squad player number 40 and if it comes off happy days..not what Cokes needs.

75k, 100k and now 125k. Would they be prepared to up it? If they were prepared to pay say 200k, I'd be very surprised to see us turn it down in all honesty.

To be fair didn't play like someone who in his head was going elsewhere- certainly wouldn't have crashed into the fence trying to get a cross in against a Ryman League North team. I think he is a sensible guy. Yes nice Reading want him for their reserves (hence a reserve player offer). But injury free and a good season behind him in L1 and he will have much better offers and to play regularly.

Reading just thinking offer next to nothing, take a punt, squad player number 40 and if it comes off happy days..not what Cokes needs.

I hope you are right.

I wouldn't read too much into him putting effort into a pre season friendly though, I think he is a wholehearted, committed player whatever the circumstances

I don't disagree with this approach provided you also point out that they are making mickey mouse offers and that doesn't bode well for his playing time. I appreciate that nearly every player wants to play at the highest level possible, but Championship reserves is a lower level than League One first team. It's in his interest for us to get the highest possible price for him as the more they pay for him the more they'll feel obliged to play him.

Brown says he's spoken to Staam and he isn't interested in Coker. Claims it's the owners that have been bidding on lot's of different players.

im often surprised that clubs from higher divisions don't offer a loan deal if the club receiving the bid are reluctant. Blues could loan him to Reading and get his wages paid for the season. that way, blues could get another player in for a year on his wages and Reading could have a better look at the player.

Back