• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In or out

• Total voters
Leonard already showed his ability in CM when Sturrock was in charge. Sturrock takes the credit for Leonard as far as I'm concerned.

Brown's first move was to drop him completely from the Wembley JPT squad.

Last edited:
Leonard already showed his ability in CM when Sturrock was in charge - he won player of the year 12/13 after a full season at CM. Sturrock takes the credit for Leonard as far as I'm concerned.

Are you sure? I can't find the official player of the year but the Shrimper's Trust gave it to Clohessy that season, Leonard wasn't even nominated, Wikipedia claims Clohessy got the official one as well, although I'm not sure what the source is for that. Leonard won it in the 13/14 season according to Wikipedia, which was Brown's first full season in charge.

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=597

Edit: there's an Echo interview with Lenny saying winning the 2013/14 player of the year award is the highlight of his career, which suggests that's the first time he won it.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/111...e_year_surpasses_all_other_highs_this_season/

Enough is enough, he should have gone after the Wimbledon game, now he must go. We simply aren’t going anywhere under this man and it’s time to bring in some fresh faces with new ideas. Thanks Phil but it’s time to go our separate ways.
I think u may b right ,has anyone thought that he may have switched off because he knows his contract will not b renewed ?

Leonard already showed his ability in CM when Sturrock was in charge - he won player of the year 12/13 after a full season at CM. Sturrock takes the credit for Leonard as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen this mentioned a few times now but I genuinely don't remember Leonard playing CM under Sturrock apart from in pre season? Think Yorkshire Blue has mentioned that he played wide midfield or sometimes even on the wing and that's exactly where I remember him playing in all honesty. He also definitely didn't get player of the year that season.

Are you sure? I can't find the official player of the year but the Shrimper's Trust gave it to Clohessy that season, Leonard wasn't even nominated, Wikipedia claims Clohessy got the official one as well, although I'm not sure what the source is for that. Leonard won it in the 13/14 season according to Wikipedia, which was Brown's first full season in charge.

According to Wiki, Clohessy also won the club's POTY in 2012/13 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southend_United_F.C.#Player_of_the_Year

1999–00 Nathan Jones
2000–01 Kevin Maher
2001–02 Darryl Flahavan
2002–03 Leon Cort
2003–04 Mark Gower
2004–05 Adam Barrett
2005–06 Freddy Eastwood
2006–07 Kevin Maher
2007–08 Nicky Bailey
2008–09 Peter Clarke
2009–10 Simon Francis
2010–11 Chris Barker
2011–12 Mark Phillips
2012–13 Sean Clohessy
2013–14 Ryan Leonard
2014–15 Daniel Bentley
2015–16 Ryan Leonard
2016–17 Ryan Leonard

Edit: there's an Echo interview with Lenny saying winning the 2013/14 player of the year award is the highlight of his career, which suggests that's the first time he won it.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/111...e_year_surpasses_all_other_highs_this_season/
sorry yeah 13/14. i'll correct the post

I've seen this mentioned a few times now but I genuinely don't remember Leonard playing CM under Sturrock apart from in pre season? Think Yorkshire Blue has mentioned that he played wide midfield or sometimes even on the wing and that's exactly where I remember him playing in all honesty. He also definitely didn't get player of the year that season.

Sean Clohessy was great that season. Flying down the wing with pace from the back.

According to Wiki, Clohessy also won the club's POTY in 2012/13 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southend_United_F.C.#Player_of_the_Year

1999–00 Nathan Jones
2000–01 Kevin Maher
2001–02 Darryl Flahavan
2002–03 Leon Cort
2003–04 Mark Gower
2004–05 Adam Barrett
2005–06 Freddy Eastwood
2006–07 Kevin Maher
2007–08 Nicky Bailey
2008–09 Peter Clarke
2009–10 Simon Francis
2010–11 Chris Barker
2011–12 Mark Phillips
2012–13 Sean Clohessy
2013–14 Ryan Leonard
2014–15 Daniel Bentley
2015–16 Ryan Leonard
2016–17 Ryan Leonard

Is he allowed to win it again this year ? The way things are going he would still be a good contender but would the club have him as a candidate?

1999–00 Nathan Jones
2000–01 Kevin Maher
2001–02 Darryl Flahavan
2002–03 Leon Cort
2003–04 Mark Gower
2004–05 Adam Barrett
2005–06 Freddy Eastwood
2006–07 Kevin Maher
2007–08 Nicky Bailey
2008–09 Peter Clarke
2009–10 Simon Francis
2010–11 Chris Barker
2011–12 Mark Phillips
2012–13 Sean Clohessy
2013–14 Ryan Leonard
2014–15 Daniel Bentley
2015–16 Ryan Leonard
2016–17 Ryan Leonard

it says something about Sturrock that in his three seasons in charge, three defenders won the POTY.

it says something about Sturrock that in his three seasons in charge, three defenders won the POTY.

There's a spell there of 5 in a row winning though - all of whom, I think, then left, which was where the curse came in. Lenny was the one to break that!

There's a spell there of 5 in a row winning though - all of whom, I think, then left, which was where the curse came in. Lenny was the one to break that!

Only 3: Bailey, Clarke, Francis, next was Clohessy. Nathan Jones before them.

A view to fit your agenda. PB has not had to sell. Indeed RM has continually tried to keep our best players but for one reason or another they could not wait to get away.

I don't mean Ron banged on PB's door and said sell Bentley or Lenny.

I mean due to the fact that the likes of Sheffield United come calling there is absolutely nothing any manger no matter who that might be could have stopped the move because as you well know in he modern world a player can walk away as a free agent at the end of their contract. Just Like Bentley and Payne did when their contract was up.

Despite your dismissal of Sheff U on another thread, no matter how good a deal we offered Lenny they could treble it in their sleep. In a world where the financial gap grows bigger every year that will always be the same if not worse for the likes of us.....Unless we the fans of the lower league clubs do something about it, like cancel your Sky, which of course is never going to happen.

From memory, his first game (or one of the earliest) in central midfield was away at Leyton Orient in the JPT Area Final. He scored the only goal in a 1-0 win. Good times.

I don't mean Ron banged on PB's door and said sell Bentley or Lenny.

I mean due to the fact that the likes of Sheffield United come calling there is absolutely nothing any manger no matter who that might be could have stopped the move because as you well know in he modern world a player can walk away as a free agent at the end of their contract. Just Like Bentley and Payne did when their contract was up.

Despite your dismissal of Sheff U on another thread, no matter how good a deal we offered Lenny they could treble it in their sleep. In a world where the financial gap grows bigger every year that will always be the same if not worse for the likes of us.....Unless we the fans of the lower league clubs do something about it, like cancel your Sky, which of course is never going to happen.

I remember Harry Rednapp pondering on why Bobby Moore did not make it in management. He had as he said the knowledge, contacts, tactics and personality to achieve great things. Rednapp's conclusion was that he'd made the mistake of going to a crap club. Now before everyone goes mental what he meant was a club that had little money (it was always thus) and a club that experienced players would avoid unless they had a career threatening injury, were on the way down or perhaps lived in the vicinity. They certainly would be paid more elsewhere. I also remember John Still saying after an evening at Roots Hall when Tilson was getting grief from the cognoscenti of the East stand that he could not understand Tilson getting so much stick from his own fans as "he's overachieved as manager given his resources". By any definition Brown is a good manager. Records don't lie. First manager ever to take Hull to top division, after 9 games they were top but just survived the season. Now how many teams have stayed up in the Premiership after going up. Few I can tell you. He then had a few hiccups but who hasn't and frankly that is why we got him. Do you think he would have come here if he hadn't. So we get promoted via the playoffs and miss out by 1 point last season from the playoffs. Pretty good in my book.
This year the strategy and let's face it gamble of getting good players who were injury prone (I won't list them) dodgy geezers who were good players but had lost their way (I won't name him) youth that are clearly no yet ready has not paid off.
You'd be mad to join us as manager.

I think the roots hall faithful have been very patient with Brown and the players this season. A horrible performance and a poor result this coming Saturday may be one too many.

Got a feeling that Brown could be in for some abuse this weekend.

Perhaps Harry Rednapp could share a few extra pearls of wisdom as to why so many other managers have made a career of it despite having had a spell at Southend. He might also tell us why high profile clubs, with the facilities and dosh, have their share of duff gaffers. Southend has as much or as little appeal as most in the bottom two tiers and probably equal to a few in the Championship. We are not a sleeping giant, nor are we a minnow, and many managers would do well to find that out. If the post of manager, for us, became available today, there would be plenty of applicants and probably some surprising ones.

Back