• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In or out

• Total voters
In the Roots Hall bunker the under siege management team are meeting ...

"Wheres Ron ?"

"Dunno"

"Dunno"

"What we going to do ?"

"Carry on ?"

"What with the telephone calls - the agents, the players, the loans ?"

"yes - carry on"

"but they keep saying phone back when we know whats going on there"

"wheres Ron ?"

"have you seen him"

"have you spoken"

"what did he say"

"was he alright with you ?"

"aye - I guess we are just wondering what hes going to do .....?"

To be honest as the days go by AB just seems more like the man to me. Who knows, even if we went down, we could do back to back promotions the following year!!!

it would galvanise the fans and the team and teamwork is massive and everybodys mental attitude pulling in the same direction....

If we are losing on Saturday the atmosphere at the Hall could get fairly toxic....I'm not sure I want to see weeks and weeks of that...without a change this is a downward spiral we will not recover from this season

To be honest as the days go by AB just seems more like the man to me. Who knows, even if we went down, we could do back to back promotions the following year!!!

it would galvanise the fans and the team and teamwork is massive and everybodys mental attitude pulling in the same direction....

If we are losing on Saturday the atmosphere at the Hall could get fairly toxic....I'm not sure I want to see weeks and weeks of that...without a change this is a downward spiral we will not recover from this season

or perhaps back to back relegations..... no more or less likely.

Look nobody wants weeks and weeks of what we have endured recently. However this window is the first opportunity that the manager have had to address his recruitment mistakes, the players underperformance and in terms of injuries the bad fortune we have had hitherto and IMO needs to be given the opportunity to do that as nobody knows the actual situation as well as he does. Not even any of us (although some on here seem to confuse their opinions with fact). If you look at the stats rarely does a change of manager at this stage of the season result in the outcome many of you are expecting.

Surely putting off sacking Brown is just postponing the inevitable and letting the situation drift wil only make matters worse. It is not realistic to expect him to do a u-turn on his recruitment policy and suddenly start signing a different kind of player. He has an inflexible mindset which clings to the belief that only older players from higher leagues are the answer. The rumours yesterday about the ex captain of Millwall are a typical example. The Leonard money is a one off windfall and spending it wisely will be the key to the club's fate in the next couple of seasons. Brown should not be the man to determine this.

or perhaps back to back relegations..... no more or less likely.

Look nobody wants weeks and weeks of what we have endured recently. However this window is the first opportunity that the manager have had to address his recruitment mistakes, the players underperformance and in terms of injuries the bad fortune we have had hitherto and IMO needs to be given the opportunity to do that as nobody knows the actual situation as well as he does. Not even any of us (although some on here seem to confuse their opinions with fact). If you look at the stats rarely does a change of manager at this stage of the season result in the outcome many of you are expecting.

Many times yes, it does. As things stand we are sleepwalking towards relegation and the time is upon us where an important decision needs to be made. There is a difference of opinion - pigheaded Brown won’t take any blame itself, so he blames the quality (or lack of in his view) of his players and is hankering for money to spend. On the other hand Ron is of the belief, and I don’t blame him, that the Recruitment has been fine and that the players we have are much better than they’re showing. So I don’t see him providing the kind of backing that I think Brown is hoping and expecting. We were close to the limit of the budget in the summer so we can really only spend what gets freed up in wages. If I were Ron, I certainly would not trust Brown to spend any of the Lenny money.....he doesn’t deserve the chance to spend it and what’s the point of giving it to him to spend when he is likely to be offski at the end of the season?

Last edited:
I think a fair number of people want to discredit PB as some sort of lucky fraud, but the facts are clear that, over his tenure we have improved as a club, so he obviously knows what he is doing.

At the moment, things do look bleak. Moreso because there appears to be a divide amongst the players and PB himself is under immense pressure and is saying and doing some odd things as a result.

The long term is almost certainly without him and having the right guy to take over is crucial in getting the best out of the players we have.

My point remains that we have a short-term objective to survive and I'd give him a little more time to turn it around if it was me.

We've been in slumps before with PB and his head has been called for, yet off the back of that, a run of good results has followed.

I agree with you that people saying Brown was lucky to be promoted are talking nonsense, however throughout his time here he's shown he's not a good man manager and it only takes one or two players to get annoyed for everyone else to start questioning him. In past years he's dealt with this by transfer listing anyone that wasn't happy with him but this season it sounds like it's the ex-premier league players that aren't happy. Brown can't resort to his usual tactic of ditching them and I'm not sure he'll be able to win back the dressing room to turn things around as a result.

I agree with you that people saying Brown was lucky to be promoted are talking nonsense, however throughout his time here he's shown he's not a good man manager and it only takes one or two players to get annoyed for everyone else to start questioning him. In past years he's dealt with this by transfer listing anyone that wasn't happy with him but this season it sounds like it's the ex-premier league players that aren't happy. Brown can't resort to his usual tactic of ditching them and I'm not sure he'll be able to win back the dressing room to turn things around as a result.

Fair points 'southendkid'.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but we've been here before with PB and it's been turned around.

I think giving him the remainder of January and maybe only allowing a loan deal or two, would still give us time if we did lose our 3 games this month. It also buys RM some time to recruit someone else or get the right guy in to caretake us to safety, before a complete re-look in the summer.

Many times yes, it does. As things stand we are sleepwalking towards relegation and the time is upon us where an important decision needs to be made. There is a difference of opinion - pigheaded Brown won’t take any blame itself, so he blames hebwuality (or lack of in his view) of his players and is hankering for money to spend. On the other hand Ron is of the belief, and I don’t blame him, that the Recruitment has been fine and that the players we have are much better than they’re showing. So I don’t see him providing the kind of backing that I think Brown is hoping and expecting. We were close to the limit of the budget in the summer so we can really only spend what gets freed up in wages. If I were Ron, I certainly would not trust Brown to spend any of the Lenny money.....he doesn’t deserve the chance to spend it and what’s the point of giving it to him to spend when he is likely to be offski at the end of the season?

Surely that's not true. You missed a major mile stone in the clubs history with Lenny going last week. PB must be the best earner for money in whilst a manager for SUFC. Then factor in he has not spent anything on transfers you could argue that a promotion and a 7th place finish all on free/out of contract transfers is our best ever achievement......in financial terms.

All these stars and 20+ goal strikers that so many fans recommend cost money. So why not let PB finally spend some and see what we get?.....After all nobody releases their lower/non league or even Championship players unless they have failed.....Just as we don't.

Surely that's not true. You missed a major mile stone in the clubs history with Lenny going last week. PB must be the best earner for money in whilst a manager for SUFC. Then factor in he has not spent anything on transfers you could argue that a promotion and a 7th place finish all on free/out of contract transfers is our best ever achievement......in financial terms.

All these stars and 20+ goal strikers that so many fans recommend cost money. So why not let PB finally spend some and see what we get?.....After all nobody releases their lower/non league or even Championship players unless they have failed.....Just as we don't.

Sorry, but selling players who were here before him doesn't make him a "best earner".

As Mick says, this money you say he's earned for the club was on players already here before he took over, not down to him.

If he's here all through January then the transfer window will be shut to any possible incoming new / caretaker manager thus severely limiting their scope in improving upon the squad. How does that help?

Realistically, though, if you brought a new manager in, say, tomorrow, he'll want to spend time assessing the squad and then identifying a gap or two and then would need to go out into the market and negotiate a fair price and agree terms on those players, whilst working within our budget constraints.

I'm not sure that would give him enough time, in truth.

Sorry, but selling players who were here before him doesn't make him a "best earner".

JP played under Brown. Lenny was turned into the player he is now under Brown, whilst often being slagged by some of you during the process. What about the goal keeping coaching that has greatly improved under PB?

The point is he has had to sell whilst our manager but has not been allowed to spend any of it. You may remember what happened to Dave Smith after having to sell our best 2 players Cusak and Otulakowski, ironically after finishing 7th in L1. Followed by those dreadful seasons in the mid 80's.

In all seriousness, Brown is totally Marmite, some have hated him since day one and nothing he's done since has changed their mind although they may have tolerated him.

The man has made huge changes at this club, he's made it so much more professional, remember how Boots & Laces was when he came and the improvements made there? He deserves credit for how the club has improved season on season and delivering us a successful Wembley final for the first time in our history, however, this season there is a cancer eating away which needs addressing sharpish.

Nearly all managerial careers end in failure, with a few notable exceptions. Very few managers leave their last job on their own terms. Success and failure is cyclical, there simply comes a point when change is needed and it has been apparent for some months that in Brown's case that time is now. His formula worked for a while and last season almost brought us to the play offs. That was then and ever since we have been struggling with self inflicted problems caused by a rigid recruitment policy based on names and past reputations rather than current abilities and potential. Unsurprisingly, given his history, very much the Big Sam way. Martin must surely have seen this coming in the past few months and started lines of approach to identify possible successors. I can't believe he is prepared to wait until we sink into the bottom four before taking action, still less that he will let Brown blow the Leonard money on another series of hasbeens. Then again, I was still a relatively young man when he promised us a new stadium and I believed that too.

JP played under Brown. Lenny was turned into the player he is now under Brown,

Indeed he was. He surrounded him with inadequate players so Lenny had to do more and more, week by week, to shore up the defects.

JP played under Brown. Lenny was turned into the player he is now under Brown, whilst often being slagged by some of you during the process. What about the goal keeping coaching that has greatly improved under PB?

The point is he has had to sell whilst our manager but has not been allowed to spend any of it. You may remember what happened to Dave Smith after having to sell our best 2 players Cusak and Otulakowski, ironically after finishing 7th in L1. Followed by those dreadful seasons in the mid 80's.

A view to fit your agenda. PB has not had to sell. Indeed RM has continually tried to keep our best players but for one reason or another they could not wait to get away.

Indeed he was. He surrounded him with inadequate players so Lenny had to do more and more, week by week, to shore up the defects.

I've had players tell me themselves this exact thing...lenny was the very heart and soul as well as the best player as well as the hardest working....

Back