• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

Yes, we need a ball winner and someone who can pass (Kevin Maher type) - that would alleviate some of the pressure on the defence and, if we were to play two up front as well, I believe things would improve.

Most successful sides have a strong midfield. Good defensively without the ball, but creative and positive with it.

From what I've seen recently, we have some holding midfielders who lack the desire to do either and it's stifling those who want to get the ball down and pass and move quickly.

It can't be just a coincidence that Macca, Kites, Dru and Coxy are struggling more this season, because the other guys in the middle of the park dwell on the ball and then play a safe pass.

Last edited:
A
It's nothing to do with personnel, it's the lack of any semblance of a plan other than lumping the ball up to a lone forward ill equipped for that role. That's down to the manager and to keep persisting with this one dimensional football expecting it to work when it has failed umpteen times already, is close to Einstein's definition of insanity.
YES IVE FOUND SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A COMPLETE ****! I’m pleased you can see the normal point of view. Funny how when we put 2/3 passes together chances are created isn’t it!

Oh good grief! What do you want, a miracle worker??

In case no-one has noticed, we are p**s poor club, with HMRC gunning for us, very little money coming in, pretty much the entire first choice line up in the treatment room, rumours swirling about people not being paid and no realistic prospect of anyone of the quality we need arriving in January! Add to that, a number of inexperienced kids in the first team through absolute necessity rather than choice, and the few experienced players we have still standing. There are also a few higher paid players on long contracts who seemingly aren't adding value. Last time we were in this sort of position, Tilly was in charge, and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it either!

I agree, it was awful today. But I am choosing to look at the tiny slivers of silver lining. We were down and out at 3-0, then totally out of nothing we clawed back a penalty and one of our youngest youngsters scored something akin to goal of the season! So, we finish 3-2, which is great, but masking some of the issues.

The problem is definitely not Chris Powell, nor it is totally the players. This sits absolutely and completely with the chairman and the board. As I said at the start of my rant - the club is essentially bankrupt and has been for years. The miracle we witness every season is that we are still here!!

Most successful sides have a strong midfield. Good defensively without the ball, but creative and positive with it.

From what I've seen recently, we have some holding midfielders who lack the desire to do either and it's stifling those who want to get the ball down and pass and move quickly.

It can't be just a coincidence that Macca, Kites and Coxy are struggling more this season, because the guys in the middle of the park dwell on the ball and then play a safe pass.
I also think that the losses of Coker and Demi are killing us because they are excellent and intelligent both on and off the ball going forward and their movement gives us greater options in possession.

We played some fantastic triangular possession football earlier in the season that stemmed from both players creating angles as well as linking up with the likes of Kites and Macca and it allowed Mantom and Dieng in particular to play their more conservative roles in the middle.

Oh good grief! What do you want, a miracle worker??

In case no-one has noticed, we are p**s poor club, with HMRC gunning for us, very little money coming in, pretty much the entire first choice line up in the treatment room, rumours swirling about people not being paid and no realistic prospect of anyone of the quality we need arriving in January! Add to that, a number of inexperienced kids in the first team through absolute necessity rather than choice, and the few experienced players we have still standing. There are also a few higher paid players on long contracts who seemingly aren't adding value. Last time we were in this sort of position, Tilly was in charge, and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it either!

I agree, it was awful today. But I am choosing to look at the tiny slivers of silver lining. We were down and out at 3-0, then totally out of nothing we clawed back a penalty and one of our youngest youngsters scored something akin to goal of the season! So, we finish 3-2, which is great, but masking some of the issues.

The problem is definitely not Chris Powell, nor it is totally the players. This sits absolutely and completely with the chairman and the board. As I said at the start of my rant - the club is essentially bankrupt and has been for years. The miracle we witness every season is that we are still here!!
The way it's going. We've not got anyone in on loan despite the injuries, Powell insists on playing one up front at home. I suggest that we're in a relegation battle.
thank god some one that talks sence

The basic complaint here is that Powell takes less grief than Brown, because he’s got credit in the bank from his days as a player. It’s true - it’s not fair, but that’s football.
In fairness, he also has credit for saving us from almost certain relegation last season.

Some interesting counter points here.

Just on PB. One of the things I alluded to under PB was the consistency we had throughout the club, during his 5 year reign.

Quite apart from promotion and the stabilising of the side at League One level, there was a structure and consistency within the club through the youth ranks, as well, with the coaches working well together and with PB and the 1st team staff.

The fruit of this and RM's support of the set-up is starting to come through now, with the likes of several of our youngsters not only showing they have ability, but also a desire to mix in with the 1st team and make things happen for the club. Their heart seems to be with us and that is down to everyone who has supported and brought them through with the confidence to show what they are made of on the bigger stage.

I wasn't there today, but to see Charlie Kelman react the way he did after his goal and Nathan giving senior players the gee up recently shows me that these guys have what it takes, both in ability and desire.

So, when we have some bad words to say about the past manager, maybe we should reflect that he contributed more than we sometimes think.

If you mean Sturridge I doubt he would leave Liverpool for us. Now if we're talking Sturrock I think I would rather stick with a fully fit Powell squad. Realistically I'm not going to get either of them. I'm afraid its a grin and bear it till the end of the season for us.
Yes I meant Sturrock, I didn't mean for him to come back it's just everyone on the pitch knew what the game plan was, at the moment we keep changing systems at least three times a game.

It's nothing to do with personnel, it's the lack of any semblance of a plan other than lumping the ball up to a lone forward ill equipped for that role. That's down to the manager and to keep persisting with this one dimensional football expecting it to work when it has failed umpteen times already, is close to Einstein's definition of insanity.

This - we all know Cox can't (And doesn't like to) play as the lone striker. It doesn't work, therefore try something else, like starting a youngster up with him, or maybe Kightly up there (they may not work either, but at least try something different), but to continue to go back to the same tactic, is poor management I'm afraid.

It's the same with Turner and White as centre backs (I'd be interested to know how many goals we've conceeded with that partnership). I know Moore was injured, but try something different, may be Dieng at CB, or put someone else at full back and move Hendrie centre.

I'll leave it with this:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

That’s the Ladapo I remember. I remember watching him for long periods of time during a 0-3 home defeat against Walsall whereby he rarely moved from one blade of grass and despite his size (he towered over the defending centre back) he failed to win one header. He is without doubt one of the worst players I’ve seen in a blue shirt.

That said, today and over this season the bloke is playing like ****ing prime fat Ronaldo.

Maybe the moral of the story is not to knee jerk after a couple of indifferent displays?

I missed the Walsall game but remember being impressed with Ladapo against Pompey.

How are we meant to play a Sturrock style of football when our only available striker is Cox?

Yes, we shouldn't be lumping the ball long to Cox, obviously. However you also have to consider that our current defence contains Elvis, Hendrie and White (who is alright defensively, but very poor passing the ball on the ground). It's quite easy to see why we're struggling to keep the ball on the ground when you look at the personnel available.

We tried to keep the ball on the ground: that’s what cost us the first and third goals when instead of looking to put it out for a throw Hendrie tried to retain possession and then when Bishop tried to avoid kicking it long.

The basic complaint here is that Powell takes less grief than Brown, because he’s got credit in the bank from his days as a player. It’s true - it’s not fair, but that’s football.

Powell also deserves less grief as he played 4 teenagers and a 20 year old. This will serve us well in the medium and long term.

He’s changed formation loads of times this season. In fact he was criticised for doing it too often. You’re criticising him for playing it long but as mentioned above we tried playing it short and it cost us two goals today. Today we played it short far more often than we went long.

That was unacceptable. Playing 1 up top at home to a team who are second bottom is a disgrace.

Powell needs to go no question. Our only target man is injured and your pumping the ball long to cox! WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING YOU ****!

3-0 down and Powell is sat down doing nothing given up! What does that say about him. We got bullied by a striker who was utter **** for us last season basically a competition winner.

Fans needs to be honest now and say enough is enough!

Have a look at thei pre-match thread- 90% of people on THIS forum voted for only ONE striker?

Please debate/explain?

Depends if you are voting on what you think the side will be or what you want it to be

Have a look at thei pre-match thread- 90% of people on THIS forum voted for only ONE striker?

Please debate/explain?

I voted for the exact same team as Powell selected, but i certainly didn't expect him to play Cox up front on his own and stupidly expected Hutchinson to be up there with him which is ironically the change that Powell himself made at the start of the second half - didn't have any time to change the course of the play as we conceded so early in the second half.

He doesn't have much flexibility with the players given our terrible injury situation and the fact that we are embargoed until we pay HMRC but he sure as hell as the choice of what formation he plays.

Back