• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to go and I’m not just talking about Powell!

I heard a rumour on Saturday that the team aren't impressed with CP's handling of Dru (i.e. his quote that he's the best player we have, and making him captain for the Checkatrade games). they think he's been bigged up too much to the detriment to the rest of the side. Could be complete cobblers, but......

He's hardly the star that was raved about at the start of the season. I very much doubt he's worth 1/10th of the value that was originally placed on him.

Maybe the fans expected too much......

Maybe he’s just 18 and having one of many dips in form that all young players have....

Maybe too much expectation was placed on him in August when he was already going to save our season.....

Maybe he is still suffering from having no pre season....

Maybe he was rushed back a little too quickly...(60 mins in a reserve game then a start in league 1).....

Maybe his body is suffering a little from too many physically high demands....

Maybe he feels a little under pressure because 6000 people expected him to lift a club that was being let down by seasoned pros.....

Maybe he’s a little low on confidence hearing the frustration, disappointment and moans every time he misplaces a pass or tries to drive forward....

Maybe he’s an 18 year old human being....

You're basing that on current form though!!

Dieng has played the last few years in League One and was excellent at the start of the season.

Hart has spent the last couple of years playing League One (as well as Humphries).

Dru is class, and was being scouted by teams higher, so clearly is good enough for League One.

So regardless of injuries, they should still be good enough for a starting 11.

I would ask why so many of our players, who we know are capable of more, seemed to be going backwards!!!

Yes I’m basing it on current league form, because unfortunately a players past form, or potential future form, can’t & won’t win us points now.

Dieng has played better, alongside better players, as we had at our disposal at the start of the season, before the injuries took hold. Personally I think he’s a bit of a passenger, and is made to look better than he is, when the team are doing well. But when the rest don’t play well, he’s exposed.

The jury is still out on Hart, as he’s only played a couple of games so far. Not even professional scouts could make their mind up completely, in that time frame.

Yes, Dru is class. But being scouted by higher teams, doesn’t mean he can cut it YET. I’ve no doubt that in 5-6 years he’ll be a Championship player at the very least. You’re treating him as if he is already that player, and he just isn’t.

Maybe the fans expected too much......

Maybe he’s just 18 and having one of many dips in form that all young players have....

Maybe too much expectation was placed on him in August when he was already going to save our season.....

Maybe he is still suffering from having no pre season....

Maybe he was rushed back a little too quickly...(60 mins in a reserve game then a start in league 1).....

Maybe his body is suffering a little from too many physically high demands....

Maybe he feels a little under pressure because 6000 people expected him to lift a club that was being let down by seasoned pros.....

Maybe he’s a little low on confidence hearing the frustration, disappointment and moans every time he misplaces a pass or tries to drive forward....

Maybe he’s an 18 year old human being....

And exactly this aswell.

Normally, a promising player of his standard would be allowed to be introduced into games, and to learn his craft bit-by-bit.

In an ideal situation, he’d play a full 90 minutes here and there. He’d come into games as a sub when we’re doing well, or even come into games as a sub when we’re not doing well & need a spark. He’d get starts sporadically & be subbed as and when required.

He’s not had the chance to do that, because we haven’t had the luxury of being able to field a team to support that learning curve.

I'm.thinking..ahead.to.CPs.end.of.season.retained.list.and.personally..would..say.thanks.&.goodbye.to:

M.Turner..good.old.warhorse,but.legs.gone
S.Hendrie..Useful.Div.2.squad.player..IMO
Kightly..Ineffective,and.from.what.I.hear.grossly.overpaid.Past.it
McClaughlin..See.Hendrie
Ba..Nowhere.nr.it
Wabo

Theo.Robinson..CP..On.the.right.track.at.least.here...Sorry.Swindon.Lads!

Possibles:
Bunn
Kiernan
T.Smith..Bishop.looks.a.better.option

I do actually think that Ron will pull the trigger if we lose our next 3 games. We would be a point or two outside the relegation zone if that was to happen and that would be unacceptable in Ron's eyes. He won't risk relegation what with the new stadium on the horizon.
Attendances are falling as well which he also won't like one bit
What..new.stadium???..Do.me.a.favour..Genuinely.wish.I.could.share.youre.optimism.here!!!

So many people hung on on the bloody formations... look, it doesn't matter what formation he plays, it's the players who put it into action that's the issue.

Here is a formation based on players that are currently available -

Bishop

Elvis Moore White Hart

Dieng

McLaughlin Mantom

Yearwood Cox

Humphreys

On paper, that's 4-1-2-2-1. Humphreys is up front on his own ("No way!" I hear you say, but wait... humour me please.)

If he can hold the ball up, Cox and Yearwood can both play off him either side. When attacking, Dieng can move forward and it becomes a 4-3-3.

When the other team have the ball, Dru can drop back into a 4-4-2 or even Dieng can drop into the centre to make it a 5-3-2.

If necessary, subject to the other team's play, Dieng could drop into a central back 3 with Hart and Elvis pushing forward. Macca can tuck alongside Cox or switch wings. It can be whatever we want it to be.

The point I'm trying to make is that the line up is irrelevant... it's individual performances that matter. Personally, I'd like to see the players given the following instructions;

Elvis and Hart - concentrate on just stopping the crosses.

Moore and White - Just attack the ball and clear the bloody thing away from our box... don't try and be too clever.

Dieng - Sit in front of the back four and protect them. Look to play out wide to Mantom and Macca

Mantom - Be prepared to switch with Macca, follow in at the back post and shoot when you have the chance

Macca - Switch wings and get crosses into the box

Humphrys - Don't come wide or deep... stay central, hold the ball up and attack it in the box.

Cox - Play off Humphrys and shoot when you have the chance

Yearwood - Drive forward, support Cox and Humphrys and shoot when you have the chance.

Is that too simple?

Certainly is.

Of course the formation matters.

I despair.

So we would be fine playing a 8-1-1 then ..... after all formation doesn't matter right !!

I see the point being made, but saying formation doesn't matter is silly. Of course it does, but as rightly said, so do the players in the formation.

...Bishop - I personally think he has been better this season that Ox. It would be interesting to see some game per conceded goal stats for the pair of them

League One only (so excluding all cup competitions):
Bishop: 9 goals conceded in 8 matches (a goal every 80 minutes)
Oxley: 23 goals conceded in 19 matches (a goal every 74.35 minutes)
Stockdale: 5 goals conceded in 3 matches (a goal every 54 minutes)

They’re really not. And if we’d have a full squad to choose from, the majority of them wouldn’t be anywhere near the bench, let alone the starting XI

Two or three (at most) are good enough, however the rest are out of their depth, not ready yet, or simply not good enough.

That is the reason we are in the slump we’re in, because the players aren’t good enough. You could literally install any other manager in the world right now, and nothing would change. There is no human being on his planet who will make those players better at what they do, overnight.
lot of those players were in the starting x1 when the season began some were even saying on here how good Dieng and mantom were

League One only (so excluding all cup competitions):
Bishop: 9 goals conceded in 8 matches (a goal every 80 minutes)
Oxley: 23 goals conceded in 19 matches (a goal every 74.35 minutes)
Stockdale: 5 goals conceded in 3 matches (a goal every 54 minutes)

Not too bad for an 18 year old then. Thanks ES

I'm.thinking..ahead.to.CPs.end.of.season.retained.list.and.personally..would..say.thanks.&.goodbye.to:

M.Turner..good.old.warhorse,but.legs.gone
S.Hendrie..Useful.Div.2.squad.player..IMO
Kightly..Ineffective,and.from.what.I.hear.grossly.overpaid.Past.it
McClaughlin..See.Hendrie
Ba..Nowhere.nr.it
Wabo

Theo.Robinson..CP..On.the.right.track.at.least.here...Sorry.Swindon.Lads!

Possibles:
Bunn
Kiernan
T.Smith..Bishop.looks.a.better.option
Yeah, pretty much agree.
Kiernan needs to be a lot fitter, and Bunn? Hmm...jury out and all that.
While here, not that fussed about Hyam, Dieng and Mantom.
Whoever the manager is can forget the beach and get on the phone!

Give it a rest u mug. He’s got a full strength back line out injured, a striker who he built his game plan around out injured and hasn’t been able to play the same lineup at almost every week.

Yes the game was crap, and many have been this season, but u find me a manager who can do better available to replace Powell. I’ll wait
Hahahahahaha he’s doing well now. Who’s the mug now

Back