• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Portsmouth FC

Manton earned a new nickname today....Mantom the phantom. Let every Southend supporter down today. Disgusting performance.

Just a point of note on the 3rd goal which may have escaped some people’s notice .....because I think If we were given a choice we’d all like to see a more creative, fluid and footballing Southend United....

We kept the ball for over 30 secs and completed 7/8 passes before Simon Cox dispatched into the top corner.....on the 3/4th pass McLaughlin passed it backwards to Turner instead of lumping it into the box and was loudly greeted by clearly audible groans and boos.....the impatience was tangible....

If we really want to see better footballl and really want these young players to come through and flourish.....remember that goal....and remember the time we groaned at keeping possession instead of lumping it in there ?

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha. Football is so good. Unreal point. They all should be proud of that. Won’t forget that one. Thanks footballing gods x

Think your ratings are fair, however regarding the reaction when Mantom was subbed, what did you expect?

It was one of the worst performances I've seen in a long time, and whilst I can take players being off form; some of the things he did today wouldn't have got him in the starting 11 of a Sunday league team!!

If he can't take that sort of reaction after that display, he shouldn't be playing professional football

Mantom is a good player, and has demonstrated he can score from midfield. People can be fickle, and put the boot in when a player is struggling with form or an injury.

Before the game I probably would have taken a point, but hoped for 3. After 30 minutes, wow I couldn't see us coming back (when was the last time we came back from a 3-0 deficit to grab a point?).

Rochdale at home, just after the turn of the century ?

Second goal was a penalty then too.

Incidentally, anyone else see the knob with a bell going round with a collection bucket after half time in the away end? Would hope that it was for a good cause and that the appropriate permissions were obtained.

The Portsmouth fans board is in utter melt down over today's result. 'How could we throw away a 3-0 lead?' Answer - Simon Cox.

Spare a thought for the for the old boy who sits just to the right near the back of the greens.

He was hunched over struggling up the stairs with his carrier bag and walking stick, looking surprised there were so many people in his way. After all he had arrived at his normal time of 2:15.

I know Sky don't give a toss but would be nice if the club could contact/ring some of the old timers in future.

That is so sad.

But, to be fair to the club, I got a call from the club (when I was already on my way on a break at Fleet services) reminding me that it was an earlier kick-off today.

Was quite impressed - well done SUFC backroom staff. Tho maybe they just singled me out as I seem a bit more dozy than the rest of the fan base.:Snore:

Hart is dire. Can we send him back?
nope send him forward!
he was like a kid in a toy shop in the first 30 mins, looked to be too excited, but after 30 mins put in some good balls, two goals resulted from his left boot - needs to be further up not defending
Klass was the turning point and Cox showed again what a player he is :)

That is so sad.

But, to be fair to the club, I got a call from the club (when I was already on my way on a break at Fleet services) reminding me that it was an earlier kick-off today.

Was quite impressed - well done SUFC backroom staff. Tho maybe they just singled me out as I seem a bit more dozy than the rest of the fan base.:Snore:

They singled you out because they know you! :Hilarious:

Klass changed the game when he come on. Calm, assured holding midfielder...I would start him next game.

Looks like McLaughlin has had it, which is a massive shame. I don't know what's happened to him but he was poor today. Kightly wasn't great either. I've been pushing for 4-4-2 with two wingers recently but when you have terribly out of form wingers it doesn't work. I can understand Powell's line ups a bit more now seeing them two on the wing. It's not an easy job for him.

Our midfield is incredibly poor - I miss Leonard, Timlin and Atkinson.

Coxy’s on fire.... your defence is terrified!!! Sounds so good after a couple of beers, like a fine wine getting better and better in a Southend shirt and starting to get into the realms of legendary Shrimper status!!

Still concerned but 15 more points should see us safe

Well, well, well................we never do well on TV! :Winking: Bloody nuisance, in the end, that I only had commentary. Like Charlton last week, in the end we showed plenty of fight and deserved our point. Unbelievable that the injuries carry on piling up. We'll have to wait and see how bad it is for Humphrys and Kightley.

Should have checked your pm's Yogi .I sent you an (illegal) link.

Mantom is a good player, and has demonstrated he can score from midfield. People can be fickle, and put the boot in when a player is struggling with form or an injury.

I wasn't saying he isn't a good player; I know he is as I saw him last season and early this season play rather well.

However that doesn't excuse that woeful performance he put in today.

amazing how most posters have to slag off a SUFC player - even after a result like that .

and the "kick it in the box" brigade - and the RH special moaners and groaners

so many miserable and unhappy people - unbelievable

Just a point of note on the 3rd goal which may have escaped some people’s notice .....because I think If we were given a choice we’d all like to see a more creative, fluid and footballing Southend United....

We kept the ball for over 30 secs and completed 7/8 passes before Simon Cox dispatched into the top corner.....on the 3/4th pass McLaughlin passed it backwards to Turner instead of lumping it into the box and was loudly greeted by clearly audible groans and boos.....the impatience was tangible....

If we really want to see better footballl and really want these young players to come through and flourish.....remember that goal....and remember the time we groaned at keeping possession instead of lumping it in there ?
What winds me up about the people that moan whenever we pass backwards is that they're probably the same people that moan that we don't play it on the ground enough. It's frustrating if we pass it back and then hoof it anyway but some members of the crowd start groaning even if we try to keep it the ground afterwards. If you want to play it on the ground then you're going to have to play it backwards sometimes because there isn't always going to be a man available to pass to.

What winds me up about the people that moan whenever we pass backwards is that they're probably the same people that moan that we don't play it on the ground enough. It's frustrating if we pass it back and then hoof it anyway but some members of the crowd start groaning even if we try to keep it the ground afterwards. If you want to play it on the ground then you're going to have to play it backwards sometimes because there isn't always going to be a man available to pass to.

Exactly right! There seems to some people that have somehow got the idea that a backwards/sideways pass is always a bad pass. It's not.

We passed a lot better/more patiently with Klass in midfield, carefully playing out the back despite being 2 down. It helped us take control of the game and it seems to suit our players better.

Well it took them 30+ minutes to realise I wasn’t there. The only defeat I’ve missed was Brentford in the League Cup- All the other games I’ve missed we’ve won or drawn. So that gives me a bit of a dilemma. Barnsley on a Sky at my daughters I reckon.

Now Theo’s gone we seem to have two new fall guys.

Poor old Sam has just missed one League Game - so probably played more minutes than anyone - in a midfield that is lacking that crunch - it’s not his game. He’s got 6 goals only Cox and Hopper have more. Give him a break.

Sam Hart - he’s only 22 - started 26 games in three seasons. He’s come to club that’s struggling - from ooop north in a make shift back four with an ever changing midfield that can’t defend to save their lives and we expect him to play like Ashley Cole in his prime.

Michael Klass from the little I have seen does have an attacking eye- but it’s a bit different playing 90 minutes than an hour against a side sitting on their lead when we have nothing to lose.

Incidentally, anyone else see the knob with a bell going round with a collection bucket after half time in the away end? Would hope that it was for a good cause and that the appropriate permissions were obtained.

Maybe his bell end needed repairing after all that banging?

Last edited:
Back