• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Portsmouth FC

What a great comeback. Simon Cox - what a man. Never say die, eh? Great to see the young lads perform well and especially good to see Norman Wabo finally get on the pitch and put in a good performance. There is hope for our future.

I actually thought we started the game well, and they scored against the run of play, however for the next 10 minutes we completely fell apart (not for the first time this season) and for those moaning about Elvis's defending; I give you Hart!!!

Anyway, these are my ratings:

Bishop 7 - I thought he could have done better with the first goal, but having re-watched it, that would be harsh. I like his confidence and commands the area well

Elvis 7 - Thought he played well; got skinned a couple of times, but that might have been more to do with their player

Hart 5 - What can I say; if it wasn't for his hand in 2 of our goals, I would have given him a 3. Really needs to improve his defending and at times was completely powder puff

Turner 6 - did some good work, but also some poor, but overall wasn't too bad

Moore 7 - Overall was the pick of the defenders (again) and was extremely unlucky with their 3rd goal.

McLaughlin 6- I actually thought he looked ok and battled well and gav us an outlet, though not everything worked. Seemed to cut inside too much, but maybe because of being on the right

Kightly 6 - Another who I thought did ok and probably looked more comfortable on the right, than the left

Dieng 6 - Tough one, looked good, then poor, then good again and probably gets marked higher based on setting up our 3rd

Mantom 2 - And I'm being generous with that marking. Passing = shocking, dead balls = shocking. The attempt at heading clear for thier second goal was nothing short of amateurish, but he seems to do this for every header i.e. turn to the side. He certainly isn't a bad player (as we saw last season and the early part of this) but needs dropping and stripped of captain

Humphries 5 - Not longing enough to mark, but looks ok on the ball, but just needs to work harder

Cox 10 - Where would we be without him and I find it completely hilarious that some people were suggesting we should get rid of him last summer!!

Klass 7 - Really liked him, yes, made some mistakes, but was so calm on the ball and now has to start ahead of Mantom

Hutchinson 6 - Looked ok, the odd mis-placed pass but showed a lot of energy and the fact that we were 3-1 down when he came on, shows he did well; though it would have taken a lot to be worse than Mantom

Wabo - Won't mark as wasn't on long enough, but put himself about and didn't look too bad. I was actually surprised to see him come on ahead of Kelman

It is a long time time since I last posted on the forum but after today’s performance it would be difficult not to! What a comeback after an abject opening half hour and what a Herculean performance by Cox who fully deserved his goals not just for his performance today but for his never say die attitude for us in every game he plays.

It is difficult to understand how a disjointed display comes together into something altogether different within 90 minutes but, for me, today Klass was the key to our improvement. He sat deep in midfield, taking the ball from the centre backs and distributing it calmly and purposefully. He brought greater pace into the way we moved the ball and injected a purpose into our play that others fed off. I would like to see him start some games instead of either Mantom or Dieng neither of whom have been consistent enough in controlling play for us.

All in all, an awesome and somewhat surprising match.

****ing hell. An unexpected point.

Terrible terrible first half with zero passion.

What changed? Why start trying?

Cox - 10
Klass - 7
Everyone else - below 6
Hart - Below 2

Can powell FINALLY smile and get the team up for it? Or do we revert back to next week like the useless unergentic unbothered first half?

At fault for first two goals, but it was his cross that Cox got his head to for goal number 1.....

It is a long time time since I last posted on the forum but after today’s performance it would be difficult not to! What a comeback after an abject opening half hour and what a Herculean performance by Cox who fully deserved his goals not just for his performance today but for his never say die attitude for us in every game he plays.

It is difficult to understand how a disjointed display comes together into something altogether different within 90 minutes but, for me, today Klass was the key to our improvement. He sat deep in midfield, taking the ball from the centre backs and distributing it calmly and purposefully. He brought greater pace into the way we moved the ball and injected a purpose into our play that others fed off. I would like to see him start some games instead of either Mantom or Dieng neither of whom have been consistent enough in controlling play for us.

All in all, an awesome and somewhat surprising match.
Easy choice between Dieng or Mantom on today’s evidence. One gave away a goal with some pub football and one made a goal with a champions league pass.

Easy choice between Dieng or Mantom on today’s evidence. One gave away a goal with some pub football and one made a goal with a champions league pass.
The gap between pub football and champions League is often overstated. Many lads I've played with could make the step up quite easily if they weren't hungover

I like the look of Bishop every time I see him. He looks so small in the goal, and doesn't have great handling but he seems to have the personality - loves to command his area and really seems to think of it as HIS area.

Klass was very good today, as others have said he did great picking the ball up off the defenders and putting some moves together, getting and giving. No wonder we didn't let him go Daggers.

https://www.shrimperzone.com/zoneratings/ratings.php?fixture=39

Highs
Comeback from 3-0 down
Actually played decent football and tried to pass instead of hitting long all the time

Lows
Humphrey injured (dead leg, so hopefully not long)
Kightly injured (groin)

Hopefully we can push on from this a beat Accrington, who could be on a down after giving up a 2-0 lead to Sunderland last night.

Cox will rightfully get the majority of plaudits, but watching from home I thought Michael Klass was excellent and it was his introduction that changed the game. Composure and calmness on the ball was fantastic, dropped deep to try and get things going and was positive. Think he has to be knocking on the door for a start next time out, seems to have been kept in the shadows slightly with Yearwood's emergence maybe? But for me, thought he was head and shoulders above the rest bar Cox. Great win, good character. Pleased for CP.

Cox will rightfully get the majority of plaudits, but watching from home I thought Michael Klass was excellent and it was his introduction that changed the game. Composure and calmness on the ball was fantastic, dropped deep to try and get things going and was positive. Think he has to be knocking on the door for a start next time out, seems to have been kept in the shadows slightly with Yearwood's emergence maybe? But for me, thought he was head and shoulders above the rest bar Cox. Great win, good character. Pleased for CP.
Win ???

You can't even give Powell any credit for a change in tactics that got us a draw from 3-0 down. Nice

Some people will never give credit to a manager they don't like.
A bit like you and Phil Brown.
Re the game - the best thing about today,apart from the result, was Klass. He looked comfortable in midfield and should replace Mantom next game. Cox should be captain.

Couldn’t take my usual season ticket seat, but watched on TV. First 30mins was as abject a performance as anyone could dread to see. Then, when 3-0 down, we start playing. I have no idea why - would think Humphrys going of and playing with lone striker would be counterproductive to getting back into the game, but no, it worked! Cox was awesome, because we played to his strengths (it’s only taken 3yrs!) and Klass was class, very mature performance, dare I say it, what we’ve been missing in midfield this season.

Good to see Lennon and Kiernan on the bench, but can’t help think that was premature and reflective of the lack of defensive players available to SCP.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer and whilst the eternal optimist in me is shouting we’re going to win every game from now on, mister pragmatic on my right shoulder is saying we’ll end up in the third quartile at the end of season. From what I’ve seen this season (all home games and 4 away games) that would be fair. BUT, we must address this depressing football. If we have any inclination to grow as a club; to move to Fossetts Farm; to expand the supporter base and utilise the sphere of influence Southend has outside of London, then we have to play appealing football coach the current available squad is incapable of that and TBH I beginning to believe the management/coaching team are too. Although, I really want them to succeed. Afterall, there were the group that had us playing attractive, attacking football for the second half of last season.

UTB

Before the game I probably would have taken a point, but hoped for 3. After 30 minutes, wow I couldn't see us coming back (when was the last time we came back from a 3-0 deficit to grab a point?).

I actually thought we started the game quite well and was attacking when Hart lost the ball and Bishop's parry was put away (i thought Bishop was put off by the incoming defender trying to get back -Elvis?). We then went to pieces and several defenders were guilty of been slow to react, combined with a cracking strike for their second goal and we looked like damage limitation was the only hope. Especially when Humphreys had to go off. Getting the goal back from open play was the turning point and gave the team belief. Putting Klass on was a shrewd move from CP.

Second half there was only one team in it at least until the last 5 minutes or so. On this (and the official match thread there has been a lot of nonsense spouted). I saw passion, desire, effort, togetherness. Yes some players made mistakes, others were lacking confidence, maybe some were carrying knocks, but they did not give up nor did they hide. Imagine how the Pompy supporters are feeling now? I remember being 3-0 up at Layer Road after 30 minutes....we saw that one out though!

There are those that don't like CP and the smallest of (perceived) mistakes or even selection choices/ line ups are somehow amplified to satisfy some twisted logic. The saying 'if you can't say something nice best say nothing at all' would be welcome on this forum sometimes.

Finally a word on veteran Simon Cox. He was rightly profiled by Sky as our player to watch (they showed some of his goals from this season to highlight his quality) and boy were they right. If I was Ron Martin I would start discussions on extending his contract!

Comments from a Pompey board....seems Jacket and CP are related...

What a bag of ****. Embarrassing that the first time we're on TV for ages and we play like that. It would be nice to see some sort of emotion from him. I blame him for today him and his unwillingness to change the shape. When was the last time he did a non like for like change? We don’t even deserve to make the play offs. After going three goals up we were awful. Just how many times did we give away possession with misplaced long balls? Southend outplayed us in the second half by simple passing movements. I’m no expert but I just cannot understand our playing style of playing long balls instead of simple passing out of defence and through midfield. Long balls have a place, as long as they are accurate. And accuracy was completely missing after 30 minutes.

Obviously, a heartening, encouraging fightback when all looked lost. Hope we can build on this but 2 points from the last five games has put us in a potentially dangerous situation. There are five L1 games midweek, two of which involve four teams below us, so the gap will inevitably close.

Back