• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Portsmouth FC

An awkward watch for the first thirty minutes and then an enforced change made things look better. I guess I have to be positive and point out that if Pompey had eleven injured players I doubt they would have been much of a challenge. A good point but it needs to be a building block.

****ing hell. An unexpected point.

Terrible terrible first half with zero passion.

What changed? Why start trying?

Cox - 10
Klass - 7
Everyone else - below 6
Hart - Below 2

Can powell FINALLY smile and get the team up for it? Or do we revert back to next week like the useless unergentic unbothered first half?
Yes, today at half time.

Bloody hell! What a turn around. I will say that first 30 I was swiftly heading towards the Powell out camp... but credit were it is due.. he changed things up and we turned it around. Just wish we could have as much fight for 90 mins. Glad Wabo got a run out and what a pass by Dieng and hit by cox for 3rd.
Wow ... happy bloody Saturday everyone.. we all needed that

Last edited:
FWIW,

Hart is a massive weak link in this team. It must be tough for him, as Kighlty offers no protection down that wing, but either way, he’s well out of his depth at League One. He’s only 22, so has time on his side, but he’s failing at the basics. Constantly out of position, poor tackling, air shots. It’s no wonder teams are targeting that side. Just a shame that injuries have rendered him a guaranteed starter.

Dieng is a passenger at best. He looks very weak for a big lad & certainly doesn’t fancy a 50:50. Not sure if it’s laziness of what, but he’s just not that good. Him and Mantom doesn’t work.

Mantom’s dead ball’s were woeful today. He looks panicked & frightened when he gets the ball. Having a weak defence behind you doesn’t help, but he’s got to show more composure.

Kightly & Macca are luxury players. Casual as you like. Neither would be starting if we had a full strength squad. Would be Happy to see Kightly leave in the summer.

Anyone know anything about this lad Kiernan who was on the bench today? New signing? :Think:

Going by his last couple of appearances for us, Klass deserves a run in the side.

Dieng was very poor today but what a brilliant assist for the 3rd.

Kightly + Macca showed today why we're in desperate need of better wide men.

What a comeback though!

You must have been gutted when that equaliser flew in

:Hilarious:

Absolutely not ya fool, love the fact we got a draw against a decent side...dancing in the pub alone but just not blinded by the fact we’ve been very poor for a long time and look a team with no passion the majority of the time.

Don’t mistake criticizing of the manager with
Not caring about the team, quite the opposite.

The big test and where Powell has failed dramatically this season is the follow up a decent performance (or at least one half this week?) with another decent performance. Let’s see if Powell can earn his money this week on the training ground....

How we start next week will be a good testimony to how long Powell can last as our manager.

FWIW,

Hart is a massive weak link in this team. It must be tough for him, as Kighlty offers no protection down that wing, but either way, he’s well out of his depth at League One. He’s only 22, so has time on his side, but he’s failing at the basics. Constantly out of position, poor tackling, air shots. It’s no wonder teams are targeting that side. Just a shame that injuries have rendered him a guaranteed starter.

It's a bit of a two-edged sword, he's always there looking to be an attacking outlet which is more than half the team is doing, but at the same time it's leaving him out of position. I don't really agree with Powell's policy of playing inverted wingers on both sides, it means we rely on the full-backs bombing forwards too much to give any real width.

Klass looked neat and tidy when he came on. Wanted the ball in tight situations and looked forwards with a pass, not just sideways. He should start. More experienced midfielders in the side should take note.

Cox was unbelievably good today. A fine hat trick and one that earned us a point in the unlikeliest of circumstances.

Still not sure how we salvaged a point, but it was most welcome.

Absolutely not ya fool, love the fact we got a draw against a decent side...dancing in the pub alone but just not blinded by the fact we’ve been very poor for a long time and look a team with no passion the majority of the time.

Don’t mistake criticizing of the manager with
Not caring about the team, quite the opposite.

The big test and where Powell has failed dramatically this season is the follow up a decent performance (or at least one half this week?) with another decent performance. Let’s see if Powell can earn his money this week on the training ground....

How we start next week will be a good testimony to how long Powell can last as our manager.

These players are playing for Powell. He’s not a miracle worker, and passion alone is not enough to win games. We have a distinct lack of quality atm. That’s not Powell’s fault.

Oh, and If you can’t converse without resorting to abuse, I won’t even bother trying. Ya fool

It's a bit of a two-edged sword, he's always there looking to be an attacking outlet which is more than half the team is doing, but at the same time it's leaving him out of position. I don't really agree with Powell's policy of playing inverted wingers on both sides, it means we rely on the full-backs bombing forwards too much to give any real width.

I get what you’re saying, and to a degree I would agree with you.

It’s the basics which make him look bad though. Take the third goal for example, he had drifted into the centre, and left a gaping hole for the Pompey lad to get in. That’s either inexperience or lack of ability, either way, it’s not good for us.

Honestly if I was Hart I'd think about converting to a winger, he got a couple of decent crosses in (including the assist for Cox's first goal) and he managed to dribble past his man a couple of times. The defensive side of his game looks very poor but he has potential going forwards.

These players are playing for Powell. He’s not a miracle worker, and passion alone is not enough to win games. We have a distinct lack of quality atm. That’s not Powell’s fault.

Oh, and If you can’t converse without resorting to abuse, I won’t even bother trying. Ya fool

Not sure suggesting I’d be happy about a lose is a good way to “converse” pal. Watch that first 30 minutes again and 90 minutes in the week, the players certainly weren’t playing for Powell.

As I said, the first 30 minutes next week will be telling. Fingers crossed we can string a couple of results together and get us ourselves safe as I can’t be ****ed to watch L2 again even if it is usually on a iFollow

Honestly if I was Hart I'd think about converting to a winger, he got a couple of decent crosses in (including the assist for Cox's first goal) and he managed to dribble past his man a couple of times. The defensive side of his game looks very poor but he has potential going forwards.

Given how the academy system and coaching works, I’d hazard a guess that Hart has already been “converted” from a winger TO a full back....not being able to defend well isn’t an ability issue it’ll be very much a learning / coaching / experience one.....

I was thinking the same.

For reasons that are irrelevant to here we missed the game at very short notice. I listened to the game on the car radio for the first 30+ minutes and left it when we were 0-3 down feeling more depressed than at ko. A quick peek into the official match thread also confirmed that the vultures were out in force, so when I caught up with the final score life was a bit good again. Thank you Southend for a point well gained.

Back