• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Portsmouth FC

Found out today that the "Bell-end" was passing a collection bucket round to help pay for a fellow Portsmouth fan's funeral - he'd been doing so in the pub too apparently. Fair play to him.

Read my post again. I did not say that Powell doesn't care. Additionally have you seen Powell turn his back when weve had othet penalties this season? So its got nothing to do with superstition. I put it down to belief and confidence. Why else wouldn't he want to witness the coneback? This lack of beluef and confidence is evident in his interviews also.
Rubbish IMHO re penalties. I can't look either. Agree that he doesn't interview well, not articulate enough.

You do read some strange things on here. Humprhys did not go off for tactical reasons or lack of fight at all. Also, Chris Powell's interview was very good. He told the story of the game. He wasn't happy with the defending and going 3-0 down, but always thought we had a chance by getting the next goal. He couldn't hide his delight with the final result.

Humphreys was made due to an injury. If it had been due to lack of belief do you think that they were the only 2. It would not have been only these 2 players. There was also the majority of the viewing public that had the same thoughts and feelings.

As for Powell not watching the penalty. How can you say he was involved when he turned his back on the penalty? His appearance in the post match interviews has got nothing to do with exhaustion. It was consistent with all of his recent interviews.. He's tired of seeing the same inept performances that his teams have been putting in. Any other manager would have spoken more upbeat about the comeback.. Not our Chis Powell though ..

Sturrock didn’t watch penalties either.

Watched the first half at home, I was on my way out so I opted to shower when we were 2-0 down, it was 3 by the time I returned from the bathroom. Although we'd opened quite brightly in the first five minutes, the next 20 or so were turgid... Keystone Cops defending.

I was walking through a night market when we we got the penalty and then I was riding a subway train for the last 5 or so minutes of the game, amazingly my 4G hardly cut out but I certainly got some strange looks cheering for Cox's equaliser.

What a great moment.
Football is unbelievable.

The ironic cheering of our captain when he was subbed was an absolute ****ing disgrace.

You can shout and boo at the team all you want but singling out a player like that is so pathetic. You should be embarrassed and ashamed.

At 3-0 I thought - god, I think CP might have to go. Which is something I do not want to happen.

I think you could see Portsmouth were the type of team to become complacent and I’m so glad we capitalised on it. Pompey not that different to Luton in terms of quality but Luton sniffed blood and tried to murder us - Portsmouth thought it was game won and so did their fans.

It’s the epitome of why you should never leave a game early.

Heroic performance

The game was very similar to Doncaster.
First 10 great.
Next 25 terrible
Last 10 good.

Second half gritty and passionate.

The big row and Taylor Moore’s booking and all of the players almost actually fighting for eachother AND us.

Also... Klass looked great.
Spot on post.
I'd add how wonderful it was to see the expression on Wabo's face when he came on. Nearly brought a tear to my old cynical eye. If anyone thinks he has a bad attitude have a look at that. It clearly made Powell emotional as he gave the young man a big hug. I really hope Norman gets some minutes during the rest of the season as I do feel he can make it. I guess CP has forgiven him now so fingers crossed

Looking at the positives from the game:
- Fantastic character from the team to come back from 3-0 down, when was the last time we achieved this? (I assume it's already posted somewhere)
- Klass looked very composed when he came on, much better than when he started vs Donny
- It's great to see so many youth team players in and around the first team and, for the most part, performing well when they are called upon. I remember not so long ago we'd never see anyone from our youth team around the first team, besides the odd time Charles Ademeno made the bench.
- Simon Cox is without doubt the best Striker, excluding loans, since Freddy Eastwood to wear the SUFC shirt. His third was a fantastic finish, but for me the first goal, to peel away from the defender and whilst off balance send the ball into the far corner is superb.
- Kiernan and Lennon back on the bench - Kiernan especially as he must have been in a very low place over the last 12-18 months.

I hope and I believe this could be the turning point in the season. Accrington will be tough but we must now push and go on a good run of form to end the season.

Rubbish IMHO re penalties. I can't look either. Agree that he doesn't interview well, not articulate enough.

My point had nothing to do with you or any other fan not watching our penalties its about Powell choosing not to watch Saturdays and only Saturdays.

I am sure that you are not the only one who have chosen not to watch. How many chose not to watch the ones at Wembley?

My point had nothing to do with you or any other fan not watching our penalties its about Powell choosing not to watch Saturdays and only Saturdays.

I am sure that you are not the only one who have chosen not to watch. How many chose not to watch the ones at Wembley?
Maybe just a superstition thing by CP, don't think it reflects his desire or passion as we saw from his reaction to the third goal.

When you look at the SKY highlights I think Chris Powell does actually watch the Penalty. He turns his head towards the goal, then a second or so later there is reaction from the bench behind him when score.

Maybe just a superstition thing by CP, don't think it reflects his desire or passion as we saw from his reaction to the third goal.

I have never questioned his desire to do well or the passion that he demonstrates when things go well. What managers don't?

But it's his manner when it's not. The Sky pictures showed a different Powell at 0-3 on Saturday.

All I want to hear and see him demonstrate is some positiveness when the going gets tough. Talk about the plus points in a defeat, talk about what he has learnt from blooding the younger players. Talk about the experience that these young er players are gaining in this situation. His body language and tone of voice is too often negative and that is one of the main reason why some of Powell's admirers are cooling to him now.

At's as if he is asking the fans to feel sorry for him and many are... I am one that is not.

Special thanks to Kenny Jackett for costing his team 2 points today and allowing us back into it with his substitutions. He took off their 19 halfway through the 2nd half who had run rings round Elvis. Once he was off, Elvis was able to get forward more and their main attacking threat was gone. We took full advantage and Cox capped a superb performance.

Regarding the first 30mins, its self evident Mantom is the wrong captain and we had no one to motivate or lead the team at 0-3, either on the pitch or more worryingly on the touchline, CP had gone back to hide against the wall of the dugout. Cox almost single-handedly kept us going and I think if his header hadn't gone in we could well be looking for a new manager today.

I didn't , I went to the bar with a Wycombe fan, we both had a drink together, and said couldn't believe all the season's hard work had come down to this.

We had a pint together and said we were either celebrating , or drowning our sorrows.
We all know the outcome, but it could so easily of been him celebrating.

I have never questioned his desire to do well or the passion that he demonstrates when things go well. What managers don't?

But it's his manner when it's not. The Sky pictures showed a different Powell at 0-3 on Saturday.

All I want to hear and see him demonstrate is some positiveness when the going gets tough. Talk about the plus points in a defeat, talk about what he has learnt from blooding the younger players. Talk about the experience that these young er players are gaining in this situation. His body language and tone of voice is too often negative and that is one of the main reason why some of Powell's admirers are cooling to him now.

At's as if he is asking the fans to feel sorry for him and many are... I am one that is not.

"At 3-1, I’m sure everyone’s thinking he’s got to have a go at the team at half-time but you’ve got to give them belief. I spoke to them but tried to give them belief that they can come back."

Doesn't sound like the actions of a manager that's unable to demonstrate positivity when the going gets tough to me...

And he certainly has talked about the experience our young players have been gaining, on several occasions in fact. He's made a point to single out Bishop for praise multiple times now in his post-match interviews for example.

Aren't you the same poster that said this:
"I would rather him talk about why we were 3-0 down at 72 minutes rather than be happy that we didn't concede in the final 18!"

You criticised him for trying to find positives last week but now he's not positive enough?

Last edited:
Back