• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Portsmouth FC

I watched in a pub in Sittingbourne before going to Sittingbourne v East Grinstead. Won't add too much to what's been said. Thought Klass was very good, assured, probably our best passer of the ball during the game. The fight and belief in the 2nd half was wonderful to see and hopefully can be transmitted to the remaining games of the season to push us up the table.
We were fortunate that Portsmouth stopped playing though, 2nd half they just sat off completely, even at 2-3 they looked like they just wanted to hang on to what they had, wasn't until 3-3 that they decided to start really pushing forward.

What winds me up about the people that moan whenever we pass backwards is that they're probably the same people that moan that we don't play it on the ground enough. It's frustrating if we pass it back and then hoof it anyway but some members of the crowd start groaning even if we try to keep it the ground afterwards. If you want to play it on the ground then you're going to have to play it backwards sometimes because there isn't always going to be a man available to pass to.

There are some people shout stuff like this in the Family Stand, at the end next to the non-Family stand section. Constantly shouting "Forward!, The goals there etc"

Oh and constantly moaning about the ref every 10 seconds.

Still concerned but 15 more points should see us safe
15 more points would give us 55 points. I doubt very much 4th from bottom will get that many points, hardly ever happens (apart from when we went down with a then record 54 points!).

There are some people shout stuff like this in the Family Stand, at the end next to the non-Family stand section. Constantly shouting "Forward!, The goals there etc"

Oh and constantly moaning about the ref every 10 seconds.

Absolutely nothing to do with today’s game I know, but thought it was worth sharing, something I’ve mentioned on here several times in the past, my favourite all-time-ever shout was from a guy in the upper tier, who screamed out “hope your car breaks down on the way home ref and you miss the England game”.

England were playing at 17:30, in a pointless friendly IIRC.

Talk about harsh.

My second all-time-favourite came from someone in the East Stand (Dagenham Kev possibly?) Iwhen we went 2-0 up after 15 minutes, which lead to him shouting... “sort it out Sturrock”.

Southend fans. Simultaneously the best, and weirdest in the world.

Isnt Kane captain of England ,or was until injured , think for sure hes a forward.
And Rooney and Lineker before him. I just said it's not traditional, not that one shouldn't be, and, as I've already said, out of what we have available, I have no problem with Cox taking that role - it'd give him justification to be on at refs too.

What a great moment.
Football is unbelievable.

The ironic cheering of our captain when he was subbed was an absolute ****ing disgrace.

You can shout and boo at the team all you want but singling out a player like that is so pathetic. You should be embarrassed and ashamed.

At 3-0 I thought - god, I think CP might have to go. Which is something I do not want to happen.

I think you could see Portsmouth were the type of team to become complacent and I’m so glad we capitalised on it. Pompey not that different to Luton in terms of quality but Luton sniffed blood and tried to murder us - Portsmouth thought it was game won and so did their fans.

It’s the epitome of why you should never leave a game early.

Heroic performance

The game was very similar to Doncaster.
First 10 great.
Next 25 terrible
Last 10 good.

Second half gritty and passionate.

The big row and Taylor Moore’s booking and all of the players almost actually fighting for eachother AND us.

Also... Klass looked great.

Last edited:
I think the changeroom after that match would have been the happiest and loudest its been all season,Well done lads , and wasnt having so many youths from the academy infectious to both the team and fans .Bishop, Elvis ,Klass, Hutchinson and Wabo, thats quite a feather in our youth systems cap .

Just think with all the academy players getting 1st team experience, what a team we will have next season, or the season after, assuming we hang on to them all.

Well thank you to our players for putting in a second half performance which reminds you why you go to watch professional football, and why you put up with all the dross we have to watch at times, even for the first half an hour today.

As others have said, we started the game brightly and similarly as against Doncaster on Tuesday night, our opponents scored with their first decent chance. Donny’s first was totally avoidable in midweek with some better defending and the same could be said yesterday. We’re clearly showing all the signs of a side shot of all confidence, struggling to clear our lines, deal with second balls and clearances seem frantic and panicked. We’re really not getting the rub of the green but defensively we’re all over the place.

People on here seem to love a scapegoat and for me some are being overly harsh on Sam Hart. The lad is young and yes at times overly enthusiastic. He did swing and miss at a few clearances but in that opening half an hour, let’s face it, other than Simon Cox and a bit of aggressive pressing from Michael Kightly, who in our colours did? What I do love about him is he never gives up and like Bwomono on the other side, loves to take his man on. What the pair of them need to learn though, is when that’s a good idea and when you should sit a little deeper. That will come with experience though if the boo boys haven’t shot him of all confidence before he gets there.

Pompey’s second, was the goal I found most demoralising and quite frankly embarrassing. Sam Mantom for me often goes from the sublime to the ridiculous but one thing I will say for him, is he never shies away from being involved in play, it’s just at times yesterday you wished he had. A terrible piece of defensive play, but it also was quite a finish from the Portsmouth player. Sometimes you get away with one of those moments at this level, but not against a side chasing automatic promotion.

Pompey’s third was another classic case of the type of goal you concede when you’re in a bad run of form, the ball coming out off the post and the attacking side reacting first to the rebound. Again it was tinged with ill-fortune but was avoidable and all three goals should be looked at this week and work done on the training ground to improve things. I’m sure this will happen, we just have to pray it works.
The fightback from our side was really something to behold. Just like Charlie Kelman’s strike against Plymouth, it unexpectedly brightened up the day of some of our supporters that may have been feeling decidedly suicidal at points of the first half. A cracking ball in from Hart and Simon Cox with the type of finish you’d have expected from either of his injured strike partners.

For me, Michael Klass’s performance on Tuesday night was one of the few bright spots in the sort of team showing where you wonder why you don’t support a better team. He looks as bright and positive on the ball as Dru Yearwood has at any point, this or last season and his introduction yesterday quite simply changed the game.

A quote from Rudyard Kipling’s If springs to mind “if you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs”. I think this sums up what the Blues youngster brought to the game yesterday. The combination of senior pros that started in midfield had just put in a thirty minute horror show of a performance and then on comes a player who’s spent most of the season in the reserves and shows them all what the side has been lacking. A bit of composure on the ball, some positive yet simple forward passes and I felt it really was the catalyst for us to finally click into gear.

Simon Cox had been playing well even during that opening half an hour but finally he was getting some support from those around him in a blue shirt and as fans we at least knew our side was going to give it a shot to get back in the game.

Portsmouth shocked me to be honest. Unlike the Luton home game or even our trip to the Valley, I never really got the feeling we were up against a really top quality side. Which seems an odd statement considering we went three goals down to them. I just feel as I’ve said above, all three were totally avoidable and almost gift wrapped. In that second half yesterday, as others have said, they seemed to just let the comeback happen to them. Most away sides, in their situation would have brought on an extra midfielder, started wasting time and doing whatever they could to disrupt our momentum. They just sat back and didn’t really react until it was 3-3 and finally they won a few corners and went for a winner once more. Thankfully by then it was all too late.

Let’s not forget the two sides of yesterday’s game. Our fightback could be a turning point and show the players that they should never give up in times of adversity. But the first half also shows there is much work to be done on the training field.

I’ll pray for a vital 3 points away at Accrington next week before we’re back on the telly again.

Portsmouth shocked me to be honest. Unlike the Luton home game or even our trip to the Valley, I never really got the feeling we were up against a really top quality side. Which seems an odd statement considering we went three goals down to them. I just feel as I’ve said above, all three were totally avoidable and almost gift wrapped. In that second half yesterday, as others have said, they seemed to just let the comeback happen to them. Most away sides, in their situation would have brought on an extra midfielder, started wasting time and doing whatever they could to disrupt our momentum. They just sat back and didn’t really react until it was 3-3 and finally they won a few corners and went for a winner once more. Thankfully by then it was all too late.

I actually thought their side in the Checkatrade a few weeks back was more impressive than the team they played yesterday.

Well thank you to our players for putting in a second half performance which reminds you why you go to watch professional football, and why you put up with all the dross we have to watch at times, even for the first half an hour today.

As others have said, we started the game brightly and similarly as against Doncaster on Tuesday night, our opponents scored with their first decent chance. Donny’s first was totally avoidable in midweek with some better defending and the same could be said yesterday. We’re clearly showing all the signs of a side shot of all confidence, struggling to clear our lines, deal with second balls and clearances seem frantic and panicked. We’re really not getting the rub of the green but defensively we’re all over the place.

People on here seem to love a scapegoat and for me some are being overly harsh on Sam Hart. The lad is young and yes at times overly enthusiastic. He did swing and miss at a few clearances but in that opening half an hour, let’s face it, other than Simon Cox and a bit of aggressive pressing from Michael Kightly, who in our colours did? What I do love about him is he never gives up and like Bwomono on the other side, loves to take his man on. What the pair of them need to learn though, is when that’s a good idea and when you should sit a little deeper. That will come with experience though if the boo boys haven’t shot him of all confidence before he gets there.

Pompey’s second, was the goal I found most demoralising and quite frankly embarrassing. Sam Mantom for me often goes from the sublime to the ridiculous but one thing I will say for him, is he never shies away from being involved in play, it’s just at times yesterday you wished he had. A terrible piece of defensive play, but it also was quite a finish from the Portsmouth player. Sometimes you get away with one of those moments at this level, but not against a side chasing automatic promotion.

Pompey’s third was another classic case of the type of goal you concede when you’re in a bad run of form, the ball coming out off the post and the attacking side reacting first to the rebound. Again it was tinged with ill-fortune but was avoidable and all three goals should be looked at this week and work done on the training ground to improve things. I’m sure this will happen, we just have to pray it works.
The fightback from our side was really something to behold. Just like Charlie Kelman’s strike against Plymouth, it unexpectedly brightened up the day of some of our supporters that may have been feeling decidedly suicidal at points of the first half. A cracking ball in from Hart and Simon Cox with the type of finish you’d have expected from either of his injured strike partners.

For me, Michael Klass’s performance on Tuesday night was one of the few bright spots in the sort of team showing where you wonder why you don’t support a better team. He looks as bright and positive on the ball as Dru Yearwood has at any point, this or last season and his introduction yesterday quite simply changed the game.

A quote from Rudyard Kipling’s If springs to mind “if you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs”. I think this sums up what the Blues youngster brought to the game yesterday. The combination of senior pros that started in midfield had just put in a thirty minute horror show of a performance and then on comes a player who’s spent most of the season in the reserves and shows them all what the side has been lacking. A bit of composure on the ball, some positive yet simple forward passes and I felt it really was the catalyst for us to finally click into gear.

Simon Cox had been playing well even during that opening half an hour but finally he was getting some support from those around him in a blue shirt and as fans we at least knew our side was going to give it a shot to get back in the game.

Let’s not forget the two sides of yesterday’s game. Our fightback could be a turning point and show the players that they should never give up in times of adversity. But the first half also shows there is much work to be done on the training field.

I’ll pray for a vital 3 points away at Accrington next week before we’re back on the telly again.

Well said saafender, especially about Hart. He has decent pace, puts in a tackle and a decent challenge in the air. Not sure why so many had to pick him as this weeks 'scapegoat'. Shame some of our higher paid players aren't as positive when it comes to crossing a ball.

Your right, their goals looked easy but they had men in the right places, 3 unmarked in our box for the first. Great finish for the second and hit the post with a good effort for the 3rd......You can create your own luck in football, they did it for their goals we did it for our first 2...….The equaliser was just top stuff.

Last edited:
What impressed me most about yesterday's comeback, particularly in the second half was that we didn't just panic and play the ball long.
With the extra man in midfield we gained some control in the game and ultimately our patient, passing approach paid dividends.
It was great to see.

Michael Klass showed a real desire to make himself available to receive a pass and make something happen. He has something about him despite his lack of pace and agility.
The midfield pairing of Manton and Dieng for whatever reason just doesn't work. There were far to many gaps between the lines in the first 30 minutes. I actually like them both for various reasons and like another poster eluded to, even when the chips were down they never went hiding.
I thought Macca grew into the game despite not being at his best and can still play an important role in the remaining games.
The biggest disappointment was Kightly. Yes, he may have won us the crucial penalty, but I thought overall he offered us very little. His delivery was poor and his lack of pace was shown up. I felt for Hart too as Kightly offered him precious little protection as he half heartedly trotted back.

Despite a wretched first 30 minutes when both Elvis and Hart's defensive naivety were once again highlighted, they stepped up in the second half and both contributed to a courageous comeback.

Final word goes to Simon Cox. He so deserved his rewards yesterday. He's the one player who you can rely on to give 100 per cent every game. He had 3 chances yesterday and put each one of them in the back of the net. That final goal will live long in the memory. Let us not forget Dieng's role in it though. He has that in his locker, he just needs to produce it on a more consistent basis.

What impressed me most about yesterday's comeback, particularly in the second half was that we didn't just panic and play the ball long.
With the extra man in midfield we gained some control in the game and ultimately our patient, passing approach paid dividends.
It was great to see.

Michael Klass showed a real desire to make himself available to receive a pass and make something happen. He has something about him despite his lack of pace and agility.
The midfield pairing of Manton and Dieng for whatever reason just doesn't work. There were far to many gaps between the lines in the first 30 minutes. I actually like them both for various reasons and like another poster eluded to, even when the chips were down they never went hiding.
I thought Macca grew into the game despite not being at his best and can still play an important role in the remaining games.
The biggest disappointment was Kightly. Yes, he may have won us the crucial penalty, but I thought overall he offered us very little. His delivery was poor and his lack of pace was shown up. I felt for Hart too as Kightly offered him precious little protection as he half heartedly trotted back.

Despite a wretched first 30 minutes when both Elvis and Hart's defensive naivety were once again highlighted, they stepped up in the second half and both contributed to a courageous comeback.

Final word goes to Simon Cox. He so deserved his rewards yesterday. He's the one player who you can rely on to give 100 per cent every game. He had 3 chances yesterday and put each one of them in the back of the net. That final goal will live long in the memory. Let us not forget Dieng's role in it though. He has that in his locker, he just needs to produce it on a more consistent basis.
My thought precisely Lincoln Shrimper.
What I found so disappointing was our delivery from corners and free kicks. Manton and Macca culprits and so many times the ball was over hit and went out for a goal kick. What do they do on the training round? Towards the end Turner was so cross having lumbered up for a decent free kick only to see it pass yards in front of him and out.
Opponents free kicks and corners always seem to cause us problems but we never seem to reciprocate.
However what a comeback. How many would have expected that after 20 minutes?
Cox the Magnificent. 15 goals now this season. Chris please make him Captain

PORTSMOUTH manager Kenny Jackett was a frustrated figure after seeing his side surrender a three goal lead in Saturday’s 3-3 draw at Southend United.

More...

Back