• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Starting XI for Saturday and your expectations on the result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks back to the comments on here by the Huddersfield fan when Chris was appointed - we all thought he was trying to spoil our excitement of welcoming back one of our greatest players but much of what he said has proved to be true.
When I reposted those comments made by the Huddersfield fan my posts were removed twice by the mods. Still I don't know why!

We need to accept that we may actually lose on Saturday but that wont necessarily be the end of the world or relegation.

For us it is the worse time to play Wimbledon -they have 4 wins in their last 6 league games and only one defeat -in the 90th minute to Charlton.

They will come thinking they have a great chance of winning and have not conceded in 3 games.

Somehow we need to get the game into their half - I don't think 5 at the back will do that -McLaughlin needs to come back in and Dru with Kiernan returning. Get rid of Turner, and maybe Moore and Dieng.

At least Sam can shoot - not seen any thing from Dieng and Hyam.

Look on the bright side.

Last time we played them they had lost eight consecutive matches.........

SOUTHEND United’s fans will pay their respects to former groundsman Sid Broomfield before Saturday's game with AFC Wimbledon.

More...

Not sure why you'd put Ox back in goal. Bishop has played very very well, making a huge number of great saves. Ox needs to wait his turn now

Bishop was unfortunately at fault for a number of goals in the last few games. Not solely to blame in some cases but at fault. At Blackpool the first goal and at Scunthorpe 2 or 3 of the goals. He’s done fantastically but we are in serious **** and preserving our League One status is the only priority. Bishop will be a great keeper for us, but if Ox is fit we need him now.

Again i'm with the Bishop fans. he hasn't been that bad on the whole. (it's difficult to judge on the whole.. you live and learn by every match at his age).

IMO...........Rest Oxley for another week or two, then risk it, no point in ruining Ox by bringing him back to early!!... (remember what happened when we did that with Ted by bringing him back too early)

We gave Bentley a chance, and we all know how well that worked out... maybe we should give Bishop the same olive branch to prove himself?)

I think we should have the same confidence in a sufc home grown youngster as we did with Dan.
We have so much young talent in the team, it's just a shame we are in the position we are in. in another season, they would all be playing freely to show their talents.
Sadly due to injuries, they are being played out of position and quite frank;ly like a bit a like "a rabbit in the headlights".

All being said, I also think we need all the experience we have in the squad come the end of the last 5 games of the season,

Last edited:
The players for Saturday’s team have to be both physically and mentally equipped for a hard scrap for 90+ minutes. Sadly our squad doesn’t have enough of those to make a starting 11 so compromises will have to be made. 4-4-2 for me.

It’s a game too soon for Oxley to return. Starting with both Kiernan and Lennon would again be risky .... both of them running out of steam would be disastrous and subbing both may not be an option given our luck with injuries. As Lennon played the full match on Tuesday I’d start with Kiernan. Of our options up front alongside Cox, Kelman and Hutchinson are too lightweight at the moment, Dieng too languid. Bunn started OK on Tuesday but as usual disappeared .... after a knock it seems but that’s what always seems to happen with him. Wabo is pretty solidly built, chases seemingly lost causes and pressurises defenders so gets my vote.

Bishop
Demi Moore Kiernan Hart
Mantom Yearwood Hyam McLaughlin
Cox Wabo

Subs: Oxley, White, Elvis, Lennon, Hutchinson, Dieng, Bunn

Oxley to start for me if he’s fully fit and hasn’t looked like absolute **** in training. There’s no place for sentiment at this stage as we’ve got to turn this form around. Oxley has experience and can organise the defence in front of him better because of it.

I also think it will have a really uplifting effect on the team to have the big guns back. To know they’re playing in front of a back 5 that includes Oxley, Demetriou and Kiernan will surely give them confidence that we’re built well from the back.

For what it’s worth, I think Oxley and Bishop should do battle for the number 1 shirt next season. I wouldn’t even be too worried if we let Oxley go in the summer if we receive a too good to refuse offer, as I highly rate Bishop and think he’ll be a great player.

But all we need to focus on is the next 9 games. Once we confirm our safety, we can take stock of the season and work out what lessons we’ve learnt and which players have stepped up to the plate.

They won at equally stricken Rochdale and Walsall, beat playoff chasing Doncaster and Peterborough at home, lost to Charlton in the 90th minute and drew at Shrewsbury and haven't conceded in their last three.

It has 0-0 all over it - which wouldn't be a disaster as there would still be a six point gap. Its going to be as tough as we've had -they are giving it a real go as six games ago they were well adrift.

There’s 50mph south westerlies forecast for Saturday afternoon. It’s going to be horrible.

Rochdale, Walsall and Shrewsbury are probably more crucial games if we don't win.
0-0 would be a massive disaster. That would 10 games without a win and no doubt we will drop further down the table. This is a win at all costs game or Powell will be sacked on Monday.

I would go

Oxley (If fit)
Demi, Kiernan, Lennon, Hart
Kightly, Hyam, Mantom, McLaughlin
Cox, Wabo

Dieng was useless Tuesday night, Moore horribbly out of form and lacking confidence. Dru has shown nothing as to why he should be back in the side. Bunn is Conferance South standard at best.

Please explain what experience gives you?
Sorry Jay I don’t know how old you are and my experience has taught me not to assume anything. But no matter what age you are, surely you can understand that you would have more experience in life than someone say who is younger than you, perhaps you may have travelled more than them, or experienced some sort of trauma which they haven’t etc? For example I work with many people who are younger than me, they are constantly asking me life questions e.g. how to buy a house or how to insure their car or even how to deal with relationships, all experiences that they are yet to have but ones that I can assist them with because I have seen it, done it or experienced before. I also ask others for advice because they have more experience or knowledge than me.

Again i'm with the Bishop fans. he hasn't been that bad on the whole. (it's difficult to judge on the whole.. you live and learn by every match at his age).

IMO...........Rest Oxley for another week or two, then risk it, no point in ruining Ox by bringing him back to early!!... (remember what happened when we did that with Ted by bringing him back too early)

We gave Bentley a chance, and we all know how well that worked out... maybe we should give Bishop the same olive branch to prove himself?)

I think we should have the same confidence in a sufc home grown youngster as we did with Dan.
We have so much young talent in the team, it's just a shame we are in the position we are in. in another season, they would all be playing freely to show their talents.
Sadly due to injuries, they are being played out of position and quite frank;ly like a bit a like "a rabbit in the headlights".

All being said, I also think we need all the experience we have in the squad come the end of the last 5 games of the season,
im not about to judge you when you on the whole either,just hope you enjoy being on the whole.I did when i was young mmmmmm

Sorry Jay I don’t know how old you are and my experience has taught me not to assume anything. But no matter what age you are, surely you can understand that you would have more experience in life than someone say who is younger than you, perhaps you may have travelled more than them, or experienced some sort of trauma which they haven’t etc? For example I work with many people who are younger than me, they are constantly asking me life questions e.g. how to buy a house or how to insure their car or even how to deal with relationships, all experiences that they are yet to have but ones that I can assist them with because I have seen it, done it or experienced before. I also ask others for advice because they have more experience or knowledge than me.

Sorry do I need to make it clear for you - I'm referring to football not life choices.

They're goalkeepers; so how much difference will Oxleys experience make, compared to Bishop?

I would argue not playing football in months, outweighs any benefit so called experience will provide.

Not sure if this helps, but a few stats for the keepers this year. GC = Goals Conceded.
I am a fan of Bish purely on his attitude, but also agree that Ox has the experience. Tough call to make but I also would say it's the whole teams that makes/leaks goal, not just the keepers.

Team has played 37 Games. Won 12 - Drawn 6 - Lost 19
As a team, we have conceded 54 goals.

Dave Stockdale
Played = 3
Wins = 1
Draws = 0
Losses = 2
GC = 5 (166.67%)

Mark Oxley
Played = 19
Wins = 8
Draws = 2
Losses = 9
GC = 23 (121.05%)

Nathan Bishop
Played = 15
Wins = 3
Draws = 4
Losses = 8
GC = 26 (173.33%)

This is a game for experience, you know what you're going to get with Wimbledon, conditions will play a part, forecast tomorrow is strong winds. If we don't win I think CP could be gone, you need your big players to perform, Oxley in goal for me, Bishop's had a torrid past few weeks. Likewise, Demi at right back, Elvis was getting turned inside out in recent games, not sure about centre backs but suspect it will be aerial football so might go with Kiernan or Lennon alongside Turner.

God knows who goes in the midfield, I've said all season that's where all our problems lie and think it's the worst we've had in 10 years. Cox will need help up front, our lack of a 'target man' could prove costly in games against teams like Wimbledon where you've got to battle with them. It will be a very scrappy game.

Love to know how people are reacting to this game, if we are gonna get a few fans in for this and support the side or stay away as we are in free fall, be good to get 7,000 plus, and I would of thought Wimbledon would bring around 800 as they are a team picking up points even tho still bottom, I’m going for us to win this one 2-0:Clap:

Back