• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v AFC Wimbledon

Starting XI for Saturday and your expectations on the result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We've got 9 games left including tomorrow -1/5th of the season.

What we need is a settled side in those 9 games and I presume that will mean Oxley instead of Bishop, Demetriou, Kiernan, Lennon ( maybe Moore) and Hart at the back. A question - how would Bishop perform knowing Oxley is on the bench waiting for the next game? Would it put more pressure on him? He has known that he would get picked regardless - so no pressure. I thought Oxley improved last year when Ted was injured -no pressure on him.

I think he will stick with Cox and Bunn up top and bring back McLaughlin but might start with Kightly as he is more likely to score.

Wimbledon have a very settled side but apart from Wordsworth, Wagstaff and Piggott, the rest are aged 23 and under with 3 19 year olds.

An early goal is a must - our seasoned warriors must not have an inferiority complex.

Please read my goalkeeping comments on the injury thread, no.444.

My team,

Bishop
Moore Kiernan Lennon Hart
Demi Hyam Klass Bunn
Cox Wabo

however I think CP will go with

Bishop
Demi Moore Kiernan Lennon Hart
Mantom Hyam Dieng
Bunn
Cox
You've only got 9 outfield players in your CP selection... and if we're playing Demi Moore in defence it's no wonder we're conceding like we are. She's not even a decent actor, let alone footballer.

Last edited:
You don't have to be 'match fit' if your a keeper, if your fit you can play. So its Oxley for me, waiting a game or two would just add pressure to both keepers.

Like everyone else I like the look of Bishop. However he has had a confidence knock, Not just talking about Scunny, that first goal would have beaten any keeper. He seemed to freeze for Blackpool's first goal. He made good saves a couple of months ago, when rushing out in the same situation.

He has had a good run and his time will come. Its just as we have seen with Dru, young players need opportunity but they also need protecting at the right time.....Even its down to the failings of his more senior team mates.

Love to know how people are reacting to this game, if we are gonna get a few fans in for this and support the side or stay away as we are in free fall, be good to get 7,000 plus, and I would of thought Wimbledon would bring around 800 as they are a team picking up points even tho still bottom, I’m going for us to win this one 2-0:Clap:

6286 home tickets sold at the moment so well over 7k attendance

I think the real key to the run in is a settled back four and keeper. Back to basics and keeping it simple. Oxley in goal Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Hart. We need that clean sheet mentality again and by keeping the back five the same for the last 9 games will give us a fair chance of achieving this. Make sure that Elvis and Taylor are on the bench and watch for early signs of fatigue but the most important thing for our team is to get to half time without conceding.

Sorry do I need to make it clear for you - I'm referring to football not life choices.

They're goalkeepers; so how much difference will Oxleys experience make, compared to Bishop?

I would argue not playing football in months, outweighs any benefit so called experience will provide.
We'll just have to agree to disagree :)

JOE Pigott played a memorable part in helping Southend United reach League One, but now the AFC Wimbledon striker could play a leading role in making them leave it.

More...

CHRIS Powell has called on everyone connected with Southend United to stick together as the Shrimpers fight to secure their League One status.

More...

You don't have to be 'match fit' if your a keeper, if your fit you can play. So its Oxley for me, waiting a game or two would just add pressure to both keepers.

Sorry riggers but I totally disagree. Oxley has had a back injury and thus far his recovery is untested. A back injury can cause restriction in movement and reach. Furthermore, back problems have a habit of flaring up again for something as little as a sneeze.

Oxley needs to prove his fitness in match conditions but not in the first team.

I also think Bishop has done incredibly well for a keeper despite the sieve of a defence in front of him. I seriously doubt Ox would have done any better.

Good luck for the rest of the season, hoping for a dons result but u lot are too good to go down aren't you? The 2 I remember are us beating you 4-1 in the league cup in 1978 and you slapping us at Kingsmeadow 0-4 2012, sorry for butting in

Still can't decide on what 'my' best 11 looks like....I hope CP is more decisive!

On another note, I would like to see a bit more positivity. A lot of tweets and messages I have read - well we seem to be beaten before we start! Players need to be built up not fearful otherwise..........

Back