• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell Out Now

Chris in or out.

• Total voters
I believe some fans seem to get some sick enjoyment out of the failure of the club. I’m not sure what people expect sometimes. We tried to keep the ball at some points today, a few passes backwards to keep possession and some sections of fans moan. I don’t know what some of them expect.

We were abysmal. I actually think the crowd have been very lenient. Plenty of other crowds have given out more stick for less. Only a few days ago Scunthorpe were booing there own players after 10 mins.

He has to go. That was as bad as anything Phil Brown served up, and Tuesday was worse. Two really poor teams, and we've not only lost them both, we never looked like doing anything else but lose.

Yes, we have injuries, but right now, those injuries are Hopper, Humphreys and Coker. Every other first team starter is now fit. We are a broken side, with no tactics, no plan and no fight. We have one recognised first team forward. We are lining up with five defenders at home, and the best one probably on the bench.

You know, sometimes the rot just sets in. There is nothing you can do about it. We don't look like scoring anytime soon, let alone winning. This teams needs a spark, it needs a kick up the arse, its needs something. Chris Powell isn't the man to do that.

Difficulty is, who do you bring in. Kevin Maher is the obvious choice but he has no managerial experience and comes from within.

Kevin Maher was caretaker manager at Chelmsford City a couple of years ago with reasonable success. Would be a bit of a gamble to give him the job here though.

You do have to ask yourselves what do the backroom two actually do Keen and who?.. they are like spiders in hiding waiting for September.

I sit next to the dugout and therefore about 5 seats along from and in the same row as Keen and I still have never once seen him have any influence on a game. He doesn’t talk to the players and nor to Powell. He’s got experience at the highest level so why on earth is he not getting involved during the match?!?!?

We were abysmal. I actually think the crowd have been very lenient. Plenty of other crowds have given out more stick for less. Only a few days ago Scunthorpe were booing there own players after 10 mins.

We were. Yeah for sure. Sorry I didn’t accuse the fans of getting on the players backs or anything in that post.

Done their job today to be fair.

I sit next to the dugout and therefore about 5 seats along from and in the same row as Keen and I still have never once seen him have any influence on a game. He doesn’t talk to the players and nor to Powell. He’s got experience at the highest level so why on earth is he not getting involved during the match?!?!?

I forgot we had Keen...

We still have 8 games to stay in L1
I want Powell to stay, I just don’t like sacking people and but , what is it that you see that gives you the confidence that we can stay up?

Is it because you believe that the unfit / out of form players will be able to perform to the levels they are capable off?

We all know that In some games we have been a whisker away from getting a better result. But we also know that we are sooooo easy to beat, and fall apart so easily .

For us to stay up something has to change-or do you not agree?
What is it that Chris or the players are going to do to achieve this?

Give it up Rigsby. As of now nearly 80% want Powell out. It's time for a change or we're definately going down.

Just because 80% want Powell doesn't mean it will happen. If Powell isn't sacked, it didn't mean we are definitely going down. There are plenty of twists and turns left in the last 8 games. A bit of luck would be nice and hopefully Humphrys will be back with a protective mask for the last 4 games. It only needs a few points to stay up I reckon.

One of the biggest differences at Charlton was that he had an inspirational captain in Johnnie Jackson - inspirational for both players and fans alike. Johnnie and he had a great relationship and worked on things together, that side was driven on by Johnnie leading from the front and leading on the pitch at all times. One of Powell's biggest problems here was selecting the wrong captain, twice over.

I'm normally one of the more upbeat posters and I'll defend someone if I believe they deserve it until I'm blue in the face, but it's blatantly clear that Powell is no longer in touch with his players or the fans. Heard that Taylor Moore is suffering a crisis of confidence, worsened after the own goal - and probably dreading making a mistake out on the pitch again because of the crowd reaction.

He and Woody parted on poor terms at the end of last season, he should have known that Woody would come back yesterday wanting to rub his nose in it, and he did just that.

By persisting with Turner, he's costing us points. Yes, he's had the odd good game, but he's cost us far more. Starting with Oxley, with zero game time after a long lay off, was pretty darn stupid. Continuing with Mantom for so long was dangerous. Blaming the youths, who've given their all, is diabolical. It's Powell's judgement that is questionable - and after his length of time in management, it really shouldn't be. Taxi!!!!

Moore's confidence couldn't have been helped by being inexplicably left out of the side at Blackpool in the first place and it's not the first time that someone who has been playing well and been key to some of our better performances has been benched.

The very first game I saw this season, Hopper was on the bench and since then there's been pretty much a string of endless players there that should probably be starting.

I totted it up. Since we beat Fleetwood in September and if we include the FA Cup, we've won 4 of the last 16 home matches and as we know, as soon as the oppo score they either win or in the one case of Portsmouth, they get a draw!

That's in part due to injuries, but predominantly to muddled thinking and below par performance.

Last edited:
Just because 80% want Powell doesn't mean it will happen. If Powell isn't sacked, it didn't mean we are definitely going down. There are plenty of twists and turns left in the last 8 games. A bit of luck would be nice and hopefully Humphrys will be back with a protective mask for the last 4 games. It only needs a few points to stay up I reckon.

The key factor will be hopefully Humphreys coming back

I hated the way Sturrock was sacked, didn't want him gone and thought he deserved more time. Fantastic bloke and to be sacked after he got us to wembley was bang out of order. My point is that RM did give Sturrock a good go, he didn't sack him a season in.

I do wonder where we would be now if Sturrock hadn't been sacked at that point in time
League 2

Moore's confidence couldn't have been helped by being inexplicably left out of the side at Blackpool in the first place and it's not the first time that someone who has been playing well and been key to some of our better performances has been benched.

The very first game I saw this season, Hopper was on the bench and since then there's been pretty much a string of endless players there that should probably be starting.

I totted it up. Since we beat Fleetwood in September and if we include the FA Cup, we've won 4 of the last 16 home matches and as we know, as soon as the oppo score they either win or in the one case of Portsmouth, they get a draw!

That's in part due to injuries, but predominantly to muddled thinking and below par performance.

It's not just them; CP has done it to every youngster as well; Hutchinson, Elvis, Wabo, Klass, Kelman - all dropped from the squad when either playing, or going on the week before.

I really do wonder what message this is sending out to them (some of those guys are 20, not 17, so they're not that young to need resting!!).

How does Dru keep getting left out when week in week out our midfield produce dross. Bringing players back who aren't match fit, when we don't need to.

It's reasons like this I want CP out now; I really feel this is affecting players confidence as well.

Yes, a new manager (and I would suggest promoting within temporarily as they know the players as well) may not stop us going down, but they may just give a bit of confidence back to those players CP has messed around.

Also they not have 7 defenders in a match day squad for a home game!!!

Back