• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell Out Now

Chris in or out.

• Total voters
Zero room for sentiment.

Results based business and on that alone Powell has failed.

Seems to be a lovely bloke and a legend of a player but that shouldn’t be a reason that he is beyond being sacked.
So what is the 'reason'? That sacking him will guarantee improved results? Then I agree; sack him. Otherwise, other suggestions, please.

Give me a reason why he shouldn’t be sacked, other than the injuries that have been used as an excuse to death now.
You've answered your own question.
Done to death or not, I cannot recall a season over the last 30 where injuries have been so crucial.
Remember, a new manager inherits this squad.

You've answered your own question.
Done to death or not, I cannot recall a season over the last 30 where injuries have been so crucial.
Remember, a new manager inherits this squad.

I’m tired of injuries being an excuse. We still have enough quality available to CP to not be in the mess we are in. Yes they haven’t helped, I won’t begin to say otherwise but the way he sets us up, his in game management, his lack of motivational skills on the touch line are all factors as well. Let alone the fact we are 10 games without a win, free falling in the table and now just outside the relegation zone on goal difference. Will a change of manager get us results? I don’t know. What I do know though is we are going down with your mate Chris in charge, id rather get someone else in to have a go than go down with a pathetic wimper as we are doing right now.

The injuries alibi is done to death. We have shipped 7 goals in the last three games, with the long term injured like Lennon, Kiernan, Oxley, Demetriou returning so we are no better off than we were playing the kids, which points to the real reason for this disappointing season which is the uninspired, lack lustre management which has produced a team of no character, identity or pattern of play regardless of the personnel selected, much the same as Powell's previous managerial stints with the obvious exception of that one season at Charlton where everything clicked.

Last edited:
Let’s face it he’s never really had a plan. AndyT mentioned it somewhere previously, after 50 games he still doesn’t know what his best 11 or formation is!

We signed Mantom, Dieng and Hyam who all appear to be the same player! We have 0 creativity, nobody who can pick a pass or unlock doors. Meanwhile we release Wordsworth, a player who on his day is unplayable!

We’ve blamed the injuries but it’s been clear for a while that that’s been papering over the cracks. This has been one of, if not the most disappointing season I’ve witnessed since I began following sufc in 2001.

We may be doomed already, but my god lets find a manager who looks up for the fight

I’m tired of injuries being an excuse. We still have enough quality available to CP to not be in the mess we are in. Yes they haven’t helped, I won’t begin to say otherwise but the way he sets us up, his in game management, his lack of motivational skills on the touch line are all factors as well. Let alone the fact we are 10 games without a win, free falling in the table and now just outside the relegation zone on goal difference. Will a change of manager get us results? I don’t know. What I do know though is we are going down with your mate Chris in charge, id rather get someone else in to have a go than go down with a pathetic wimper as we are doing right now.
Be careful for what you wish.
Taking points raised: 'lack of motivational skills on the touch line' - what does that actually mean? I guess you want him to wave his arms and scream and shout.
You think that will improve peformances?
You can be tired of injuries as an excuse, but it doesn't make it any less a major factor.
Are you therefore saying that with a fit Hopper, Humphrys, and selling Robinson much earlier, this would not have made a difference?
The way 'he sets up' is not by choice. If any, apart from Cox, could find a decent vein of form, they would be a nailed on starter: they haven't.
Let's face it, would anybody currently select Turner by choice?

Taking points raised: 'lack of motivational skills on the touch line' - what does that actually mean? I guess you want him to wave his arms and scream and shout.
You think that will improve peformances?
You can be tired of injuries as an excuse, but it doesn't make it any less a major factor.
Are you therefore saying that with a fit Hopper, Humphrys, and selling Robinson much earlier, this would not have made a difference?
The way 'he sets up' is not by choice. If any, apart from Cox, could find a decent vein of form, they would be a nailed on starter: they haven't.

Yes, your mate Chris. Moore is on the bench whilst Turner starts, makes no sense. Injuries aren’t a factor when it comes to our clueless boss starting one up top and five defenders at home against the team bottom of the league in a must win game. Oh and it was is choice to get rid of Theo so again, not really a point well made in support of your mate.

I’ve said already, injuries haven’t helped and of course without several key players we probably won’t be in this mess but then again seeing as CP isn’t actually that good of a manager, I wouldn’t be so sure.

Be careful what I wish for? Not quite sure what you mean here. The way I see it is under CP we are going down without a fight. With a new voice in the dressing room we might actually just make a fight of it.

Taking an earlier point; how does a manager 'LOOK up for the fight'? Fist waving? Angry? Running around his technical area?

Just because 80% want Powell doesn't mean it will happen. If Powell isn't sacked, it didn't mean we are definitely going down. There are plenty of twists and turns left in the last 8 games. A bit of luck would be nice and hopefully Humphrys will be back with a protective mask for the last 4 games. It only needs a few points to stay up I reckon.

Very true and a fair point DWB. In hindsight me saying that we're 'definitely' going down if Powell stays was wrong. I'd say it's heavily odds on, but nothing's definite. If Powell does stay I sincerely hope he can turn things round somehow.

However I still feel that a new manager with fresh ideas is our best hope of staying up. Is it a definite? Of course not, but we might just get that 'new manager bounce' and hopefully they can inspire some improved performances from some of our underperforming players.

Ultimately the decision's down to Ron. I presume the financial impact of relegation would be huge. On the other hand removing Powell would cost money in terms of compensation too. Does he think replacing the manager when there'd still be no guarantee of staying up, is worth the risk? Who knows, but IMO it would be.

Yes how silly of me to make a joke at a lynching party.

I agree with the 80% and now there's enough of us we can be really brave a silence anyone of the 20%. Lets weed them out because why should there be any room for debate, forums are for venting your anger and some people just don't get it.

Lol, you ask for sensible debate then talk about a 'lynching party' :Stunned:

I don't want Powell 'lynched' or vilified in any way, I presume the majority would agree. What we're talking about is replacing the manager not hanging him!

I thought the crowd stayed very positive and supportive towards Powell and the team yesterday. Bar a few isolated moans and some booing at the end, most are trying to remain positive. I genuinely like Chris and he'll always be one of my favourite ever players. Sadly it hasn't worked out as a manager and I think the time has come for him to move on.

Taking points raised: 'lack of motivational skills on the touch line' - what does that actually mean? I guess you want him to wave his arms and scream and shout. You think that will improve peformances?

Even if it's just an appearance thing this matters, seeing a reaction from the sidelines is enough to get the crowd going sometimes, this in turn would lead to improved effort and so on, simplisitc i know, but still a factor to consider. At times like these every little advantage can make a difference.

The injury debate has been done to death, yes of course it's had a massive impact on our ability to score goals and to a lesser extent defend, however what this should have meant that instead of us being able to challenge at the top of the table for promotion, we could understand a midtable finish due to these challenges . What is entirely unacceptable is to let those injuries turn us in to a relegation doomed shambles, which is what we are. with the remaining squad we have. That blame lies entirely with the management team.

Of course it's by choice, we have players available in all posiitons but CP chooses not to play most of them, yes there are a lot of youngsters among those squad players but even by playing a settled formation week in, week out with those players we cannot have done worse than the current 10 games streak without a win. Players, positions and formations change every week, this suggests someone who doesn't have a coherrent plan and is making knee jerk reactions each game, not a strategy to base a season around

Last edited:
Yes, your mate Chris. Moore is on the bench whilst Turner starts, makes no sense. Injuries aren’t a factor when it comes to our clueless boss starting one up top and five defenders at home against the team bottom of the league in a must win game. Oh and it was is choice to get rid of Theo so again, not really a point well made in support of your mate.

I’ve said already, injuries haven’t helped and of course without several key players we probably won’t be in this mess but then again seeing as CP isn’t actually that good of a manager, I wouldn’t be so sure.

Be careful what I wish for? Not quite sure what you mean here. The way I see it is under CP we are going down without a fight. With a new voice in the dressing room we might actually just make a fight of it.
Re-read and you'll see I said getting Theo out earlier would have helped. It would have offered a better chance of a replacement in the loan window.
'Injuries aren't a factor' and 'injuries haven’t helped and of course without several key players we probably won’t be in this mess' Which one is it?
'CP isn't that good a manager' - and yet, he was God on Shrimperzone three games into his reign.
My point is that with two more forwards, we would have scored goals, won more matches, and negated this thread.

Oh, forgot to add. CP should have played Moore. We are talking the same player who headed past his own keeper at Blackpool last week?
I'm no great fan of either Moore or Turner. John White at centre-back instead? There are plenty who have found his performances poor as well.

Re-read and you'll see I said getting Theo out earlier would have helped. It would have offered a better chance of a replacement in the loan window.
'Injuries aren't a factor' and 'injuries haven’t helped and of course without several key players we probably won’t be in this mess' Which one is it?
'CP isn't that good a manager' - and yet, he was God on Shrimperzone three games into his reign.
My point is that with two more forwards, we would have scored goals, won more matches, and negated this thread.

I haven’t said injuries haven’t been a factor? If I have said something to imply that I think that then let me clarify. Injuries have hampered us, especially to key players BUT as others have mentioned we still have enough quality to not be in the position we are in and that for me, the buck starts with the manager.

Yes, we were all guilty of over praising CP after his start to his reign as manager but now looking back it was nothing more than the famous new manager bounce that happens in a lot of cases when a team changes manager.

We still have forward in the squad though available to CP and still he decides to play with just one.. at home to the team bottom of the league no less.

Oh, forgot to add. CP should have played Moore. We are talking the same player who headed past his own keeper at Blackpool last week?
I'm no great fan of either Moore or Turner. John White at centre-back instead? There are plenty who have found his performances poor as well.

Dear oh dear. So he's joined the list of thousands of players that have scored an own goal. Moore has been the most consistent player over the whole season. Him and Cox are well clear in the race for Player of the season. He's saved us so many times when he has cut across and done a last ditch tackle because the defender to the left or right has been passed. There's no way that the slow coach Turner should be picked ahead of Moore.

'Quality players' - I've have read this over and over, and fail to see its justification.
One could go through the fit and available and examine this 'quality' and find they are either past their sell-by date, Kightly and Turner for obvious starters, or had patches at other clubs where they did OK, Mantom and Bunn, for further examples.
But 'quality' and therefore consistency, tend to be there regardless. Leonard and Bentley in the immediate past rarely had duff games.
Name the consistent 'quality' players other than Cox, please?

Dear oh dear. So he's joined the list of thousands of players that have scored an own goal. Moore has been the most consistent player over the whole season. Him and Cox are well clear in the race for Player of the season. He's saved us so many times when he has cut across and done a last ditch tackle because the defender to the left or right has been passed. There's no way that the slow coach Turner should be picked ahead of Moore.
I agree that Moore is better than Turner, but I wonder about the latter's confidence?
If Taylor were to beat SC to player of the season, I'm going to assume his mum had 3,000 free votes!
The fact he might finish second underlines a desperate season.

'Quality players' - I've have read this over and over, and fail to see its justification.
One could go through the fit and available and examine this 'quality' and find they are either past their sell-by date, Kightly and Turner for obvious starters, or had patches at other clubs where they did OK, Mantom and Bunn, for further examples.
But 'quality' and therefore consistency, tend to be there regardless. Leonard and Bentley in the immediate past rarely had duff games.
Name the consistent 'quality' players other than Cox, please?

We are a league one club. ‘Quality, consistent players’ don’t stay around this league for long. That said we have individuals in our team who on their day are very good players at this level, far better than what they are showing under CP. The likes of Kightly and McLaughlin are more than capable of causing opposition defenders all sorts of problems and creating goal scoring chances. Cox is a match winner but doesn’t do it consistently.. again if he did he’d be playing at a higher level. Furthermore the likes of Demetriou, Yearwood, Hyam to name a few all have qualities about them that if used in the right way can produce match winning contributions.

The fact CP is failing, miserably to get a tone out of this side speaks volumes about his management.

Last edited:
I want Powell to stay, I just don’t like sacking people and but , what is it that you see that gives you the confidence that we can stay up?

Is it because you believe that the unfit / out of form players will be able to perform to the levels they are capable off?

We all know that In some games we have been a whisker away from getting a better result. But we also know that we are sooooo easy to beat, and fall apart so easily .

For us to stay up something has to change-or do you not agree?
What is it that Chris or the players are going to do to achieve this?
Taking an earlier point; how does a manager 'LOOK up for the fight'? Fist waving? Angry? Running around his technical area?
By not saying you're happy to only lose 3-0 for a start

Back