• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Redknapp at training today

We get it, you didn’t like Powell.

But you’re being naive (at best), if you think this can’t get any worse

Which is why we need to do something to shake up our poorly performing team quickly - remembering we’re in a 6 game season. It’s a punt, but as far as rolls of dice go, I think this is a fairly good one.

It's all so damn close to the wire at the moment, this just seems like EXACTLY the right move. For players at our level, a 'name' like Harry could be just the thing to get them raising their collective game. There might be plenty wrong with HR as a long-term fixture, not least his location and unwillingness to travel, but he clearly does have some pedigree, and I really can see our players responding to this with a huge desire to impress.

We survive if we get our current crop of players to play ABOVE their average capability. This might just do that.

As for getting the FUN back into it, do the players deserve it? NO. Will it help get us over the line? Quite possibly - as someone said above - it's a punt, and not a bad one.

Come on you Shrimpers!

I heard Kevin Bond wants Harry to take over "The Blue Voice" jungle drum and lead us to victory. :Smile:

Some of us old timers will remember when Bobby Moore was manager and we were struggling he brought in his old mate Malcolm Allison in for some coaching and encouragement. I seem to recall that we didn't win a game in that period.

Some of us old timers will remember when Bobby Moore was manager and we were struggling he brought in his old mate Malcolm Allison in for some coaching and encouragement. I seem to recall that we didn't win a game in that period.

Totally different time and situation.

Surprised everyone has forgotten the "special relationship" under Redknapp's watch (albeit not his responsibility) as west ham manager of the late 1990s which nearly put us under.

Not for me thanks, and I'd be really disappointed if we let him anywhere near our club.
I think it’s unlikely he’ll be involved in anything more than popping into training a couple of times to offer some motivation until the end of the season. And if it works, great. It’s at least worth a try.

I can’t imagine any of the players will know or care about what West Ham did in the 90s so I really don’t think it’s relevant to the limited involvement Redknapp’s going to have at the club for a few weeks. It’s certainly not worth turning down an opportunity that could potentially help motivate the players and help us stay up because of something he wasn’t directly involved in two decades ago.

I’ve just got this really strong feeling he’s going to be involved next season in more than a consulting type basis. ****ing mental.

No reason why Arry and Er indoors, couldn't move to Essex's very own Sandbanks.....Thorpe bay

More like mudbanks.

If Ron wasn't such an upstanding property developer I'd suspect that this was the plan all along and the only reason 'Arry hasn't officially been named as manager is that it'd raise suspicions at HMRC that the role appears to be unpaid.

There’s more chance of Neil Campbell winning a beauty contest, Carl Emberson making a save and Chris Ramsey controlling a ball than there is of Redknapp sticking around at Roots Hall. I’m afraid this is another example of Ron being star struck by football celebrity, and someone high-profile smoothing over a job for an old mate that nobody wanted him in!

for all the jack the lad type personality he is. Let's not sell him short, he knows the football industry inside out and has done some bloody good jobs too in the past.

We should consider the fact we have someone of his calibre helping us out, all be it as a favour to Bond. it wasn't a million years ago where he built a Tottenham team that started to regular mix it with the established top 4.

Doesn't seem to have had a positive effect on ticket sales ….

Maybe everyone's waiting with cash / card after the Fleetwood result comes in ...

I read much of this with dismay. I think what we actually need to do is get behind the team and management team to the end of the season. HR & KKs records working together is very good- let them do what they can, roar the team on and park the negativity until after the last game.

I am in equal disbelief we, placed 20th in L1 with 6 games to go as we are, and with a dreadful winless streak behind us, have somehow failed to attract a top top proven manager with a proven recent record- all of them from Mourinho to Paul Hurst will regret it- you mark my words..

Given we are totally skint I do not see what 'Arry can take from the Club unless it is the bath towels from the training ground. Despite all the rumours and court case there is no doubt that in the past he has also been able to motivate some of his teams.
If ever I saw a bunch of players that needed to be motivated it is most of the guys who have turned out for Southend the last few games.
Could it help? Possibly.
Will it help? Your guess is as good as mine.
Is it worthwhile to try this? Yes, I think, definitely.
Is it better than doing nothing? Without any doubt I believe.
Go to it 'Arry. No objections from me.

Feels like a bit of a circus...

Although the players would no doubt be motivated by Harry being there - his worked with some great players - I do wonder why his there. There's context that we will never know. One thing I will say if on your first day I would've hoped our new manager took charge of training himself unless they're an absolute double act and Kevin Keen is really just collecting his wages to sit at home... I don't know, but between his first interview and now my confidence in Bond has shrunk. Good thing Harry's there though after all.

Back