• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Redknapp at training today

Jeez we can’t buy a win at the moment or even a shot on target and we are moaning that a man with 20 years of top flight football management under his belt is helping out .
FA cup winner , champions league and top 6 premiership finishes - how can this not be a positive thing at this moment in t8me for the players

I wonder if our former CEO, Peter Storrie, has had anything to do with Bond and Redknapp coming in? According to Twitter, he's Redknapp's agent...

Cant believe the negativity of some of you people ,6 games remaining ,why not just cool it and see how this pans out ,god willing they can get this mob of footballers playing as a team and we ccan avoid the dreaded drop to league 2 .I for one wish them good luck .

We get it, you didn’t like Powell.

But you’re being naive (at best), if you think this can’t get any worse

I quite “liked” Powell actually, was just a terrible manager towards the end. The “worst” for now is getting relegated which was happening under CP...it can’t get worse than that (for now). What RM has done here is tried something different, which can’t result in anything worse than what was going to happen.

If we get relegated as a club, it could very well be our last relegation. Let’s not **** around with childish “you liked” “didn’t like” etc...if Southend United get relegated, that could be that. Huge wages on the books with players still under contract, massively reduced revenue, stadium even more unlikely in L2 but huge ongoing financial costs @ Roots hall with no other financial income possible from her.

We are in ****ing trouble, this could be it for us. So, well done RM for having a go at something different....

Let’s ave it ‘arry and co.

Redknapp and Martin will be bonding down the firing range shortly, shooting at HMRC targets. Then off to Martin Towers for a talk by Harry on shafting affordable homes targets. Peas in a pod.

Anyone recall when we last brought in a big name assistant - Malcolm Allison?

I was told a story on Sat by one of the 'Smithy's Army Day' players that one day he went in to the dressing room during training and manager Bobby Moore was asleep in one corner and Malcolm Allison propped up in another having 40 winks.

Can't beat a bit of relaxed experience.

I don't think the youngsters will be delighted at Harry being there, to them he is just an old man, who granddad raved about in his heyday,cannot see him being the most up to date person on to-days game

Now if it was someone like Eddie Howe, who is young and modern approach to the game then yes I would agree

I suppose KB is in a no win situation bring in experience we cry how are we going to pay for him, bring in Kidderminster Harriers coach we cry what does he know about Div 1 and the club

Good luck KB

Don't have a problem with Redknapp coming in and helping Bond out. He did well managing a team of old, unfit players in that England legends game against Germany, so he should fit in well here :Hilarious:

In all seriousness, he's 72, I very much doubt he wants another permanent job in football. I'd be surprised if Bond and Redknapp stick around beyond the end of the season.

I don't think the youngsters will be delighted at Harry being there, to them he is just an old man, who granddad raved about in his heyday,cannot see him being the most up to date person on to-days game

Now if it was someone like Eddie Howe, who is young and modern approach to the game then yes I would agree

I suppose KB is in a no win situation bring in experience we cry how are we going to pay for him, bring in Kidderminster Harriers coach we cry what does he know about Div 1 and the club

Good luck KB

Have a laugh, of course they know who rednapp is. He was managing a championship 18 months ago and was also a favoritie for the England job before Big Sam.

I quite “liked” Powell actually, was just a terrible manager towards the end. The “worst” for now is getting relegated which was happening under CP...it can’t get worse than that (for now). What RM has done here is tried something different, which can’t result in anything worse than what was going to happen.

If we get relegated as a club, it could very well be our last relegation. Let’s not **** around with childish “you liked” “didn’t like” etc...if Southend United get relegated, that could be that. Huge wages on the books with players still under contract, massively reduced revenue, stadium even more unlikely in L2 but huge ongoing financial costs @ Roots hall with no other financial income possible from her.

We are in ****ing trouble, this could be it for us. So, well done RM for having a go at something different....

Let’s ave it ‘arry and co.

I agree with most of what you’ve said.

The part I disagree, is that relegation would potentially be the end of us. It wouldn’t. At least not instantly.

What would be the end of us, is if we languished in that league for too long. That’s why I stress, that Martin needs to look way, way further ahead, than just these next six games.

Martin’s track record doesn’t fill me with confidence

Have a laugh, of course they know who rednapp is. He was managing a championship 18 months ago and was also a favoritie for the England job before Big Sam.

Firstly read the post, where did I say they don't know of him ? I said not delighted as you seem to be with the appointment, me personally if he helps with the great escape this season, hats off to him

Second point "He was managing a championship club " on that basis Steve McClaren top trumps him as he was England manager and look what he done

Third point " If favourite for England, you must wonder why he did not get the role "

Anyone recall when we last brought in a big name assistant - Malcolm Allison?

I was told a story on Sat by one of the 'Smithy's Army Day' players that one day he went in to the dressing room during training and manager Bobby Moore was asleep in one corner and Malcolm Allison propped up in another having 40 winks.

Can't beat a bit of relaxed experience.

That would have been when the team talks were in the Hope Hotel, with Brian Dear behind the bar. Other spanners involved would have been Frank Lampard senior a Kevin Locke.
Allison & Moore played together back in the day. Then of course there was the Chipmonk era?

Firstly read the post, where did I say they don't know of him ? I said not delighted as you seem to be with the appointment, me personally if he helps with the great escape this season, hats off to him

Second point "He was managing a championship club " on that basis Steve McClaren top trumps him as he was England manager and look what he done

Third point " If favourite for England, you must wonder why he did not get the role "

? If he didn’t get England job, he can’t be good enough to help Southend out for a few games...yep I understand your logic ?

The part I disagree, is that relegation would potentially be the end of us. It wouldn’t. At least not instantly.

What would be the end of us, is if we languished in that league for too long. That’s why I stress, that Martin needs to look way, way further ahead, than just these next six games.

Look at the next 6 games only, no point planning beyond that until we know where we are. Full focus on 6 games and then visit again in the summer.

Martins track record does fill me with confidence...Tilson. Sturrock and Brown all did great jobs and felt like the right men at the right time. Powell did enough end of last season to warrant an extension which hasn’t worked, but the rest were all good decisions.

I dont think we do need to look beyond the next 6 games YET. Once those 6 games are up 1 of 3 things will happen:

We get 10+ points before the end of the season - then Kevin Bond probably gets a contract

We stay up by the skin of our teeth - then Kevin Bond probably doesnt get a contract

We get relegated - then Kevin Bond doesnt get a contract

So until we know how the season ends we cannot look further than these 6 games.

Hopefully, in the background, Ron is planning for each eventuality

Look at the next 6 games only, no point planning beyond that until we know where we are. Full focus on 6 games and then visit again in the summer.

Martins track record does fill me with confidence...Tilson. Sturrock and Brown all did great jobs and felt like the right men at the right time. Powell did enough end of last season to warrant an extension which hasn’t worked, but the rest were all good decisions.

Ron’s record of employing managers has been OK, granted.

His track record of finances however, is not so good. And that’s what worries me the most.

Remember, it was financial mismanagement that lead us back down to League 2, after our most recent stint in the Championship.

And from a football perspective, you’re right, we can’t look past the next six games, as it’s impossible.

From a business stand point, not looking past your next six games, is suicidal

Back