• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Peterborough United

View attachment 8723

Stats look healthy in terms of possession.
Two close efforts from Goodship. We did also hit the cross bar. Hamilton had one particularly good strike also.

I do think that “shots on target” can be a bit misleading. Three close efforts just wide are better than a little parried header back to the keepers hands? Or no?
Here’s a stat that doesn’t look so healthy: 0 points from 4 games.

So its JWs fault that the TWO CBs failed to pick up the one CF in the 6 yard box?
I get it - In give up. And look at the highlights where the "cross' for the first goal came from..
I really dont know. I just think people are so entrenched now in who they like and don't like all objectivity has now gone.

I'm obviously clueless so I'll have a month or so off and refrain from posting whilst I regain my eyesight/marbles.l.

I would mate.

If you think just marking your man or not in an 11v11 man team game is good enough then fine, but try taking up your position to defend when it’s reliant on someone else doing their job and then them failing to do it...

I’m not saying anyone else covered themselves in glory by any means and collectively the defending was ****e....but the FB has to get tighter to stop that cross....and by all accounts that was a consistent failing of JWs over the years he played there....it was even noted in the previous season friendly with Exeter.

The second one is harsh on him cos ultimately Shaughnessy is marking Toney but let him pull away but if White is in the correct position there’s nowhere to pull away to.

Defending is an equation featuring time / space / nos and we failed

Why mention the lack of a clean sheet OVER the lack of a win? Bemusing.

He’s getting far too fixated on this. Draw every game 0-0 and you still get relegated. How about we try and attack and go for the odd win. Even if it’s 2-1’s or 3-2’s. Winning breeds confidence and the clean sheets will take care of themselves after that

Maddison, Eisa and Toney - all far better than anyone we have - it was inevitable they would score - I guess they got told what for at half time. We were there for the taking absolutely no threat.

He’s getting far too fixated on this. Draw every game 0-0 and you still get relegated. How about we try and attack and go for the odd win. Even if it’s 2-1’s or 3-2’s. Winning breeds confidence and the clean sheets will take care of themselves after that

I agree. Scoring the first goal would actually be the biggest confidence boost we could ever get....

Here’s a stat that doesn’t look so healthy: 0 points from 4 games.

Here’s some more unhealthy stats:

- We’re averaging less than 2 shots on target per game.

- We’re conceding 2.5 goals per game

- No Southend player has scored a league goal this season.

- We have a worse goal difference than Bolton - a team made up of kids, who weren’t allowed to play tonight.

I've dug out Mantom plenty before, but credit where its due tonight he had a good game. Which became even more suprising with the huge holes left in the centre of midfield, which could be simply plugged by Milligan backing Mantom up. But tonight, Milligan was a statue and left Mantom to carry the team, imo very poot. Youve got a right back in Elvis who is getting in advanced positions on the right but will naturally look to square it when reaching their last defender out wide.
Youve got a central striker on the left in Goodship that struggles with where he should be and when to go or stay. So thats your wide play stuffed, right there. Needless to say we never got round the back of them. Youve got a full back in the centre of defence in Shaunessey and a central defender in White at full back. Equals mess. You could see that in the first half, their strikers not being picked up and cover not available. Was always going to happen again later in the game, it did and in went two goals wow. Since we signed Cox, i can only think of one game where he did well upfront spearheading the attack.
I like the set up and style, but we have no chance of implementing it to great effect. And hand in hand with last season, the confidence is draining from the players.

Effing mess, thats what it is.

Another game where the keeper didn’t make a save until 85+ mins, the same as vs Coventry. 0 shots on target, 1 striker at home? What on Earth is going on!

Positives:
- Ethan Hamilton is a young Darren Fletcher don’t even try and convince me he’s not.
- Goodship looked bright but for god sake play the man up front!!
- we played some tidy stuff but there’s no potency. Any side can knock it sideways and backwards we need to be playing like this by the oppositions 18 yard box!

Negatives - practically everything else. Hope Ralph isn’t injured.

Oh and Humphrys has confirmed on Twitter he’s fully fit. Absolutely no idea why we are starting him on the bench we need a focal point in attack!

Oh and Humphrys has confirmed on Twitter he’s fully fit. Absolutely no idea why we are starting him on the bench we need a focal point in attack!

I think it’s clear why he’s not starting games.

Nothing to do with systems. Nothing to do with gameplans.

I will start by saying that the 15 /20 min spell was the best I have seen for a few seasons. Hamilton is young but oozes class. Please explain the logic of the two centre halves standing either side of the box wtg for the ball from the goal kick. Once in a while to catch them out but all they did was press high and close us down. Secondly our initial reaction (except Hamilton) is to pass the ball back. This could be due to lack of movement from our lot though. Was Ralph injured or was it a pointless substitution. Is Elvis now purely a winger ? What formation are we trying to play ? Why is Bond so quiet ? Why when the Leicester lad came on did we insist on playing it to Elvis more or less every time. Why do our defence go to sleep ? Milligans passing ? Why with the players we have are we so bad ? All in all I am sure we will come good but will Bond realize his players are not capable of what he wants or perform miracles and turn it round

I actually though tonight was a big improvement, especially in midfield. Hamilton brought out the best in Mantom. Hamilton was always positive, and trying to go forward. It made it a better watch rather than the passing sideways all the time. Ralph was great until injured. Elvis was his usual mixture of good and bad, but never say die. Cox never looked like scoring. He's easily marked at the moment, so has to come deep to get away from a defender. Goodship and Hamilton looked like they might score. Young Bish does not fill me with confidence at all. Lincoln had 5 shots on target and scored 4. Posh had 3 shots on target and scored 2. Any fast shot is going past him. The slow grasscutter, he saved.

Abysmal from the start. I thought we lined up to play Man City which would of almost brought some understanding to the formation and game plan. Except we weren't and our manager is on another planet than earth

Bishop 5 - Looked nervy and one mistake in the first half could easily have led to a goal. No chance with either goal to be fair. I know most won't agree but I'd have stuck with Oxley. IMO despite Oxley's 'glued to the line' tendencies, he's still the better option of the two right now.

White 4 - Looked to be partially at fault for both goals (I'd have to see a replay to be sure). Bemused as to why Bond played him as a right back? He hasn't played there for years for a reason.
Shaughnessy 4 - Looks a poor signing right now, he appears to me to be too short/physically weak for a CB and gets caught out of position too often.
Lennon 6 - Looked good for the most part, a few heart in mouth moments when he took an extra touch, though that was possibky down to Bond's 'must play on the floor' instructions.
Ralph 6 - Fairly decent performance, his leap is amazing for his size. Combined well at times going forwards with Goodship.

Bwomono 5 - Awful first 20 minutes, improved a lot but no real end product other than winning one corner after the break.
Milligan 4 - Had a mare, gave the ball away needlessly prior to the first goal and did so on numerous other occasions too. He's got real quality but rarely showed it tonight. I think his mobility is suspect and perhaps he would be better utilised as a central defender? With our lack of midfield options it's unlikely he'll get the chance though.
Mantom 5 - Worked hard but not a lot came off, doesn't have the ability to make a killer pass.
Hamilton MOM 7 - Looked excellent in that 20 minute spell before half time when we we're on top. Good passing range and movement, though faded after the break.
Goodship 6 - Combined well with Ralph and did really well to create a chance for himself at the end of the first half. Why we're playing a proven finisher out wide though?!

Cox 5 - Worked hard but not the right player for the lone striker role. He drops so deep, we ended up with zero players in the box.

SUBS
Humphrys 5 - Little real impact, though service was poor. Ran around like a headless chicken, probably trying too hard to make an impression.
Blackman 4 - Bemusing sub, Ralph was one of the better players IMO, was he injured? Did nothing to dispel my belief that he's non league quality.
Ndukwu 5 - Struggled to make an impression, though one mazy run near the end showed some quality.

Bond 2 - Crap tactics, far too defensive a starting line up for a home game. Little attacking threat and no shots on target against another team lacking confidence; not good enough. Reading his comments post game keeping a clean sheet seems to have become an obsession. ai'd prefer a win please to a 0-0 at any cost.

Many supporters seem to have voted with their feet already, despite the official attendance being just shy of 6000, there were many empty seats tonight which suggested it was a lot lower. It's unlikely to get any better unless results improve, I'm sure Ron is taking note....

I missed the first 25 mins due to issues on the A127. The last 20 in the first half we were excellent, and then poor in the second half.

Not sure why folk are having a go at Mantom. He was our Man of the last 65 minutes for me. 2 wonderful balls to put goodship through twice. Ralph was also good I thought.

Why does everybody bang on about how good cox is? He is dog s**t and has been for a long time.
Does nothing. Runs about a lot. Thats it.

Playing the new kid on the wing when he had just banged in 70 goals for his last club. Do me a favour.

Nduku on the bench. Came on and looked the nuts. Start him for god sake.

Kelman on the bench as usual. To me he is the only one that puts in 100% when he is on. So start him too.

Takes Ralph off. He was the best player tonight.

Sick of it. 400 quid a season. Decent ??

Hugely disappointing night again. After Lincoln disaster show i really wanted to see a reaction and actually after soaking up the pressure for the first 20 mins we actually stated to play some decent football. All of a sudden Mantom, Milligan and Hamilton started driving forward and for a while we looked a decent side. But, without really threatening the Boro goal. Goodship who played ok tonight had the best chance wide of the post when he really should have hit the target

Second half we started ok and again Goodship had a great chance but shot wide rather than hitting the target. Two lapses in concentration later and we are two down

We huffed and puffed but other than a header against the bar never looked like getting back in the game

Re Bond, for me he is trying to play a style of football that the players in the team simply can't play. I'm all for passing the ball around but we need to do it further up the pitch and not put ourselves under pressure

Re the players. I like all those that Bond bought in and even though some are struggling they clearly all have something about them. But they are now playing in a struggling side void of confidence. Bond needs to get the selections and formations right and work to the strengths they possess

At the moment Bond is tinkering way too much. Each game 4 or 5 changes with no continuity in the side. Humphrys is clearly out of form but needs game time to regain that form.

Tonight I thought Mantom, Goodship, Elvis, Lennon, Ralph all played ok, Cox way to deep and isolated. White not at his best and despite other people's comments I do think Shaughnessy is a decent player, but clearly lacking in confidence

The pick of the players tonight was Hamilton who although he tired was involved in everything positive. Ndukwoo needs to start and show what he can do

Do I want Bond out? I'm close to it and if things don't change in the next three or four games there will be no choice. For me he needs to get the balance right between defending a bit higher up the pitch and attack with more purpose.

Would like to see Goodship and Humphrys start up top with Cox just behind. Hamilton, Milligan and Mantom in the middle with a solid back four but allow Ralp and Elvis to push forward

Patience is running thin and Bonda interview tonight was baffling and a worry as I'm really not sure he knows what is wrong or how to resolve it. Anyway roll on Wycombe .... gulp

Why does everybody bang on about how good cox is? He is dog s**t and has been for a long time.
Does nothing. Runs about a lot. Thats it.

Playing the new kid on the wing when he had just banged in 70 goals for his last club. Do me a favour.

Nduku on the bench. Came on and looked the nuts. Start him for god sake.

Kelman on the bench as usual. To me he is the only one that puts in 100% when he is on. So start him too.

Takes Ralph off. He was the best player tonight.

Sick of it. 400 quid a season. Decent ??

Oh my. See this is just so questionable. It makes me confused.

View attachment 8723

Stats look healthy in terms of possession.
Two close efforts from Goodship. We did also hit the cross bar. Hamilton had one particularly good strike also.

I do think that “shots on target” can be a bit misleading. Three close efforts just wide are better than a little parried header back to the keepers hands? Or no?

Of course the possession stats look healthy if you play 'crab ball' in your own half with no attacking threat.

I do somewhat agree about the Goodship chances, if one had gone in it could have been different. However you fail to mention that Peterborough had plenty of decent chances in that dreadful first 20 minutes too.

Bottom line is we deserved to lose, we'd have been very fortunate to get anything out of the match. I guess those positive vibes didn't help (sadly). For what it's worth, bar one moron at the back of the East Blacks, everyone kept really positive and tried to encourage the team. I hope no one tries to shift blame to the supporters today.

Back