• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd v AFC Wimbledon 12th Oct 19 15:00

What's your starting 11 and result prediction for Saturday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's grey and overcast at the moment and the forecast is for rain throughout the day and the temperature not getting above 13°C. So, crap weather and no new manager announced. Add a midfield that is the worst we've ever had, according to some, a defence that commits schollboy errors and forwards that don't talk to each other and it's a recipe for misery and disaster. The thing is when that whistle blows all of that will be pushed to the back of my mind and instead expectation and hope will be there in abundance. I know that sounds stupid, but I can't help it. COYB

I had a dream last night that Ron introduced the new manager on the pitch at half time. Sadly, said manager had a sticky-out tongue emoji over his face, so unfortunately I’m none the wiser ..

I had a dream last night that Ron introduced the new manager on the pitch at half time. Sadly, said manager had a sticky-out tongue emoji over his face, so unfortunately I’m none the wiser ..
They could make something of this. Never ever tell us the identity of the new boss. Leave everyone wondering forever:

"Who Is ...The Masked Manager?"

Memory fading a bit but wasn't the Dover second round game Saturday evening for some reason?
You are correct. 7.30pm on Saturday December 13 1975.
The reason for it required me to do a bit of delving.....
Quotes from the said programme:-
"I believe that this is the first time in FA Cup history that a tie has been allowed on a Saturday night for reasons other than emergency. A quick poll of our players shows that they prefer to play in evening matches here at Roots Hall. The floodlights always provide a better atmosphere. They feel the crowd responds more during floodlit matches than in the afternoon."
And further on...
"The club changed match days from the traditional Saturday afternoons to Friday evenings because of public demand and it is now being wondered if Saturday evenings would be preferred to Saturday afternoons.
Let the Club know."

So it appears to have been an experiment.
Interestingly, the previous week we were at home to Grimsby on the Friday night, winning 5-2 in front of a crowd of 3925.
The crowd for the Dover cup tie was 7696.

Apologies if this is somewhat off topic but I happen to think it is far more interesting given what is occurring (or not occurring) at the moment.

That Dover tie was played in the days when FA Cup ties attracted much larger crowds than for league games. Sadly things have reversed completely.

That Dover tie was played in the days when FA Cup ties attracted much larger crowds than for league games. Sadly things have reversed completely.
That was a special game for me and my future wife! It was the first Blues game she ever saw and apart from that famous snowy night we played Liverpool in the Cup, she's never been back. :Smile:

Anyone who can't make it today and wants to watch it free drop me a DM!

Yup you realise now he wasn’t a bad player eh? And genuinely cared. Was that really only last season? Seems like 10 years ago.

I always knew he was quality, would much rather have him over any of our Centre backs at the club then and now!

I always knew he was quality, would much rather have him over any of our Centre backs at the club then and now!
Yes Bond has a lot to answer for. Wish we had also signed Hart who I don't beleive is currently playing for Blackburn.

Back