• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rudderless

Ah yes that would be it! Was the right thing to do but think the manner in which it happened left a bad taste in some peoples mouths

I think it was more because Adam had more respect in the changing room than Brown and Brown hated that.

Every player has bad games and to portion all blame on Barrett and never play him again was a poor excuse

The last time we were 22nd in L1 around the 2nd week in October we survived. The manager had to make a big decision and the fans hated him for it and some still do.

What was the decision?

I think 1984/85 was as bad as this under Bobby Moore. 2003 and 1999 were also pretty shocking. Sacking Steve Wignal? That proved to be a good decision. Or Stan Collymore arrival in 1992?

I think this is the first Southend team where I can honestly say I don't like at least one player!

So the myth goes. I have heard other versions from people within the dressing room.
Season prior - we beat Barnsley 2-0 away Timlin scored a screamer. A whole load of us was on the train home with the players, we was in their carriage for a good hour or so. Speaking to all the players 'Who should be next manager' everyone who we spoke to reply was 'John' god knows why they called AB that but that was his nickname. Brown gets rid of AB when the next season starts going south..

We're probably going to need at least 40 points from 31 games. 1.29 per game.

That's near play-off form. We're relegated

Don't forget it's completely different this year as:

• Only 3 teams are relegated this year because of Bury
  • Bolton are still on minus points

Season prior - we beat Barnsley 2-0 away Timlin scored a screamer. A whole load of us was on the train home with the players, we was in their carriage for a good hour or so. Speaking to all the players 'Who should be next manager' everyone who we spoke to reply was 'John' god knows why they called AB that but that was his nickname. Brown gets rid of AB when the next season starts going south..

The only problem with that claim. PB dropped Barrett and we finished 7th that season.......Of course it wasn't down to just dropping AB but it was about getting the best from the squad.

Something is only a myth if it proven to be wrong- so please tell us all why it’s wrong instead of giving half an answer.

The hardest myths to prove wrong are the ones on Shrimperzone. If someone claims it and it fits your thinking then its true....end of fact etc.

Many people have proved some of them wrong on many occasions....Fees for academy players for example.
They go quiet for awhile and just like Japanese knotweed, they resurface on another thread.

If PB was scared of AB then why did he expect him to be the dressing room enforcer.....Even when he was injured and not playing.

Last edited:
The hardest myths to prove wrong are the ones on Shrimperzone. If someone claims it and it fits your thinking then its true....end of fact etc.

Many people have proved some of them wrong on many occasions....Fees for academy players for example.
They go quite for awhile and just like Japanese knotweed, they resurface on another thread.

If PB was scared of AB then why did he expect him to be the dressing room enforcer.....Even when he was injured and not playing.

You mean ‘end of , fact’ rather than ‘end of fact’ right ?

I think 1984/85 was as bad as this under Bobby Moore. 2003 and 1999 were also pretty shocking. Sacking Steve Wignal? That proved to be a good decision. Or Stan Collymore arrival in 1992?

I think this is the first Southend team where I can honestly say I don't like at least one player!

John White surely?

As I say not from one of my credible sources but I certainly don't buy the took to long reason.......Ron may well do his due diligence but the problem is, so will any decent candidate.

I think the “taking too long” thing is entirely credible. I think HL emerged at one stage as first choice. I heard there was some disagreement over money at some stage, hence the move to Sol Campbell who was on the verge of being announced at one stage. I would imagine, at that stage, that HL came back into the picture and agreement on money suddenly became more likely hence Ron asking Sol to wait a little bit longer, at which point Sol told him where to stick it because it was taking too long.

I think it was more because Adam had more respect in the changing room than Brown and Brown hated that.

Every player has bad games and to portion all blame on Barrett and never play him again was a poor excuse

What rubbish - it was clear to a lot of people that Barrett was no longer the player he was.

We had to play 5 at the back to counter this (his continued diving around whilst players just strolled past him!!!).

Personally I was surprised he started that season, but it was probably because we had no-one else until AF arrived.

They go quite for awhile and just like Japanese knotweed, they resurface on another thread.

Thanks, but none of the above addresses The question I asked

Good shout , my bad !
It’s turning into Life if Brian now as we are adding more decent players !

From the 27 man squad named in the programme on Saturday:

Very happy to have the following 14 in the squad:

John White
Elvis Bwomono
Stephen Humphreys
Tom Hopper
Simon Cox
Nathan Bishop
Brandon Goodship
Sam Mantom
Charlie Kelman
Jason Demitriou
Sam Barrett
Harry Kyprianou
Emile Acquah
Isaac Hutchinson

Sad to have the following 12 in the squad (for lots of different reasons):

Mark Oxley
Nathan Ralph
Luke Hyam
Mark Milligan
Liam Ridgewell
Timothee Dieng
Stephen McLaughlin
Rob Kiernan
Ethan Hamilton
Layton Ndukwu
Joe Shaughnessy
Harry Lennon

No comment on Richard Taylor as I've never seen him.

We mustn't let the bad eggs cloud our opinions of everyone else but it's clear that whoever gets the job has a major task on his hands.

4 points from the first 12 games and Ipswich, Sunderland and Portsmouth in the next five games.

Oh dear!

Back