• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0 - 4 Oxford United

Our kids do their best but they are really not all that good - yet! Hutchinson has promise but he is far too easily pushed off the ball, he lacks pace and strength and his positioning/reading the game could be much better. Elvis flatters to deceive and gets away with tons because he puts in 100% effort. But I doubt he would get into any other football league team as a full back. And that isn't his fault, his chance has come way too early.

Bishops kicking is nowhere near as accurate as Oxley's. That means that because we haven't really got anyone that can hold the ball up, it comes straight back.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much mate from what I’ve seen you won’t have to watch these three for long, as they’re the only three likely to be bought by someone else in the next 2/3 windows.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much mate from what I’ve seen you won’t have to watch these three for long, as they’re the only three likely to be bought by someone else in the next 2/3 windows.
I'm not sure anyone is going to buy anyone from us! And my point really wasn't to be particularly critical of the youngsters, but more to illustrate that we are having to be reliant on them and they don't have the experience to do what's needed.

I'm not sure anyone is going to buy anyone from us! And my point really wasn't to be particularly critical of the youngsters, but more to illustrate that we are having to be reliant on them and they don't have the experience to do what's needed.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Elvis nearly went last January. I’ll be shocked if he doesn't go this time.

As we saw with Dru clubs will always dip into their pockets for teenagers with multiple football league appearances under their belts. Especially ones that are holding their own in difficult areas of the pitch while senior pros go missing.

So for what its worth my ratings

Bishop - 6 - made some good saves, is actually good on the ball (essential given we are playing out from the back), good and quick off this line and quite decent on crosses. All positives. Not sure he is quite there as a shot stopper yet - probably Oxley playing well is better in that area.

Elvis. - 6 -. Not Elvis' best game but still solid and didn't see him do too much wrong

Kiernan -5.5- was ok, and as far as I could see was one who didn't make a mistake that led to a goal. However, given his "pedigree" his distribution does seem pretty hit and miss to me and the bit that disappoints.

Dieng -6-. Best of the defenders again- but like the rest needs to learn when to pass and when just to plant it down field. His miss placed pass for the goal was ridiculous- looking for a 20m pass to feet from his own areas straight down the middle of the pitch (if nothing obvious was on should of put it long down either channel)

Taylor -5.5- the error was a schoolboy one and of course with the teams confidence low the impact won't have been good. However, he has a lot of potential and very good on the ball and does a lot of good stuff. Although what the crowd contributes by moaning and groaning if he passes it at the back (as he has been asked to do) I don't know- please the crowd or the manager?? He did the latter kept to his game and that showed strength of character.

Ralph -6-. Had a better game today defensively and going forward. There is a player in there for sure.

Milligan -5- seem to be a few that are getting on his back. He is a defensive MF- I don't think he has the legs to be part of a two man up and down MF. Played in front of the CBs he can do a very good job and has showed that. People moan about not enough forward passes but our movement is not good enough, people aren't making themselves available, so its give the ball away or at least keep it. He is in the enviable position of being open to criticism whichever he does. Under rated but needs to be in a role that suits.

Hamilton -5- Nothing particularly good or bad. Will end up in L1 somewhere- probably not with us.

McL. -8-. As with Dieng asked to play a different role- and surprised in it. Worked very hard, looked up for it. He is decent on the ball and looks to do things at pace and, until Hutchinson came on, really looked by a long way are most creative player. Just put Hutchinson in CM as well. Can see McL staying in Sol good books and playing regularly..

Cox. -6-. If he was in a good side on the front foot where he didn't have to run his nuts of covering weaknesses else where he would still be scoring regularly.

Hopper. -6- As with Cox really. When we sort ourselves out and start playing to his strengths and get on the front foot we will see he is very decent. No decent service or support= so lots of chasing and effort with little to show.

Subs;

Hutch. -7- Put him in CM. Our most skilful player on the ball, can carry, can pass and getting stronger. I would keep Macca in the 10 role and have Hutchinson as the creative midfielder making things happen. Noticable improvement after he came on. Needs a Timlin/Leonard alongside with an engine to do the dirty work.

Goodship -6- Play him up front. We should be rotating Hopper/Humpheys/Cox/Goodship more- Goodship would be best up alongside Hopper of Humphrys.

Manager -6- must be tearing his hair out. 3 of the goals we absolutely gifted. And the first goal probably did a lot of damage to our confidence. He clearly wants defensively the back three to push right up and deny the opposition space- and they keep dropping back resulting Sol doing his pieces on the touchline.

So for what its worth my ratings

Bishop - 6 - made some good saves, is actually good on the ball (essential given we are playing out from the back), good and quick off this line and quite decent on crosses. All positives. Not sure he is quite there as a shot stopper yet - probably Oxley playing well is better in that area.

Elvis. - 6 -. Not Elvis' best game but still solid and didn't see him do too much wrong

Kiernan -5.5- was ok, and as far as I could see was one who didn't make a mistake that led to a goal. However, given his "pedigree" his distribution does seem pretty hit and miss to me and the bit that disappoints.

Dieng -6-. Best of the defenders again- but like the rest needs to learn when to pass and when just to plant it down field. His miss placed pass for the goal was ridiculous- looking for a 20m pass to feet from his own areas straight down the middle of the pitch (if nothing obvious was on should of put it long down either channel)

Taylor -5.5- the error was a schoolboy one and of course with the teams confidence low the impact won't have been good. However, he has a lot of potential and very good on the ball and does a lot of good stuff. Although what the crowd contributes by moaning and groaning if he passes it at the back (as he has been asked to do) I don't know- please the crowd or the manager?? He did the latter kept to his game and that showed strength of character.

Ralph -6-. Had a better game today defensively and going forward. There is a player in there for sure.

Milligan -5- seem to be a few that are getting on his back. He is a defensive MF- I don't think he has the legs to be part of a two man up and down MF. Played in front of the CBs he can do a very good job and has showed that. People moan about not enough forward passes but our movement is not good enough, people aren't making themselves available, so its give the ball away or at least keep it. He is in the enviable position of being open to criticism whichever he does. Under rated but needs to be in a role that suits.

Hamilton -5- Nothing particularly good or bad. Will end up in L1 somewhere- probably not with us.

McL. -8-. As with Dieng asked to play a different role- and surprised in it. Worked very hard, looked up for it. He is decent on the ball and looks to do things at pace and, until Hutchinson came on, really looked by a long way are most creative player. Just put Hutchinson in CM as well. Can see McL staying in Sol good books and playing regularly..

Cox. -6-. If he was in a good side on the front foot where he didn't have to run his nuts of covering weaknesses else where he would still be scoring regularly.

Hopper. -6- As with Cox really. When we sort ourselves out and start playing to his strengths and get on the front foot we will see he is very decent. No decent service or support= so lots of chasing and effort with little to show.

Subs;

Hutch. -7- Put him in CM. Our most skilful player on the ball, can carry, can pass and getting stronger. I would keep Macca in the 10 role and have Hutchinson as the creative midfielder making things happen. Noticable improvement after he came on. Needs a Timlin/Leonard alongside with an engine to do the dirty work.

Goodship -6- Play him up front. We should be rotating Hopper/Humpheys/Cox/Goodship more- Goodship would be best up alongside Hopper of Humphrys.

Manager -6- must be tearing his hair out. 3 of the goals we absolutely gifted. And the first goal probably did a lot of damage to our confidence. He clearly wants defensively the back three to push right up and deny the opposition space- and they keep dropping back resulting Sol doing his pieces on the touchline.

Surprisingly positive and constructive....a dangerous thing to do on here ??

BELIEVE it or not there had been slight signs of optimism for Southend United heading into Saturday’s clash with Oxford United.

More...

It's taken me until now to even begin to consider anything to say at all. I've also watched the goals again and they look even worse than they did live! So, here are some observations from yesterday.

We had 63% possession and in their 37% they managed to fashion 20 goal attempts. I would also love to see the "heat map" for our team as I reckon 80 % of the game took place in our half.

Everyone makes mistakes. I felt for young Taylor. Less than a minute into his league debut and he drops a rickett like that, which is duly punished. Then Dieng drops a similar rickett and we are 2-0 down after about 30 mins. As I say, everyone makes mistakes and there were a lot of misplaced passes. But in both cases, it's difficult to see who they were trying to find with the passes that weren't even intercepted; they just went straight to them. I thought Cox had done a similar thing but watching it again there's an unlucky deflection straight to their player. But the question does have to be asked; what on earth did Taylor and Dieng think they were doing?

Individually, the midfielders would be ok in some sort of system but not in this one. I really do think the midfield is the main problem; they don't support the attack, they don't help out the defence and they don't give the defenders options in possession. I refuse to blame Milligan or Hamilton; it's the system and blend that is the problem. Trouble is, there's no alternative.

3 at the back doesn't work. It means that occasionally one of the CB's is going to have to be a full back and our ones aren't.

Our kids do their best but they are really not all that good - yet! Hutchinson has promise but he is far too easily pushed off the ball, he lacks pace and strength and his positioning/reading the game could be much better. Elvis flatters to deceive and gets away with tons because he puts in 100% effort. But I doubt he would get into any other football league team as a full back. And that isn't his fault, his chance has come way too early.

Bishops kicking is nowhere near as accurate as Oxley's. That means that because we haven't really got anyone that can hold the ball up, it comes straight back.

There are probably more, can't really remember. But for me, this is my 50th year of supporting SUFC and is by some distance the worst. I am a diehard fan and will always go, it's not an option for me to wilfully miss a game as statictically we can't lose every match and I want to be there when we do actually turn the corner. But my God, it's getting harder.
'what on earth did Taylor and Dieng think they were doing?' Exactly that. It's not as if either were introduced to a football at 2.55pm.
I think Taylor was let off the hook because of his age/potential/nerves.
Yeah, everybody makes mistakes, but he's 19 and played youth football at a high level, so surely smart enough to know what to do in a given situation.
I'm guessing nerves got the better of him, but there are plenty of teenage debuts at all levels, and his was as bad as it gets.
Dieng? He's playing better as a centre back, but how many other League One sides would snap him up in January?
The criticism has been for others who failed to protect them. OK, maybe, but they're out of school now.

I mentioned Dieng's position for the first goal on the TV Highlights thread.

If Sol wanted them to push up, he couldn't have been any deeper if he tried. It actually looked like he was sitting in the South Lower!

BISHOP 7 -- brave, excellent distribution, good handling. deserves to play in a proper team.
ELVIS 6 -- Got up and down , never gives up , Caught out of position a few times though
KIERNAN 5 -- Doesnt give 100% , is as strong as an ox but is going thru the motions
DIENG 4 -- So weak, no idea positionally at CB , poor passing, Still makes silly fouls
TAYLOR 2 -- Horror show debut. Has potential, but Campbell screwed up by picking him
RALPH 5 -- Theres a quality player in there but needs to get forward so much more more
MILLIGAN 5-- The clubs best Central defender, flipping ridiculous playing him in midfield.
HAMILTON 4 -- Has a good engine , but total headless chicken, doesnt stamp his authority
MACCA 6--Top quality player, but no confidence, needs more end product
COX 5-- So unhappywith things, our formation means no support, no service, no chances
HOPPER 5 -- A proper decent striker, frustrated at the lack of anything to run onto

HUTCH 7 -- Our best player, this game was crying out for him, great technician
GOODSHIP 5 -- Did nothing really, Not brave enough

CAMPBELL 0 -- What has he actually learnt or done since hes been here ? Obviously he didnt watch any of our games under Kevin Bond - he is instructing the same pathetic tactics of playing 6 so deep , poncing about with tippy tappy passing that our players cant do. Our 3 central defenders play too narrow so get in each others way + none of them actually take responsibility they leave it to each other , also not allowing our wing backs freedom to attack. Our best central defender Milligan is forced into deep midfield , where it was blatantly obvious to any of us who know this division that any team of Karl Robinson get it down and play good football in midfield and dont put their foot in , so Hutchinson wouldnt actually be bullied and would have the time on the ball to be effective. Instead make 34 year old Milligan chase shadows, and play so deep he is almost a 4th central defender.
Not one of our players gets close enough to the opposition to close down, the full backs allow easy crosses to come in , the team should be sprinting to immediately hassle to get the ball back , but instead sit back and watch . But the worse thing for me is the zero running off the ball. There are never any options on when we do actually have the ball. Running into space to move their team around is just basic yet we do none of it. What the hell our 4 dream team coaching staff do in training is intriguing - Fitness looks worse than ever , confidence is rock bottom , the team dont look they have a clue what to do and not one of them even ofers so much as a fist pump or any sort of communication . Now we finally have Hopper back - a proper striker who can hold the ball up -we need to ping the ball about at a higher tempo and attack in numbers , tackle ferociously and absolutely ditch this defensive , plodding about , tentatively poncing around 5 yard passing at a pedestrian pace.
ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK !!!!!!
The best form of defence is attack so lets do it now rather than going down with barely a whimper

Back