• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

Yep, spot on.

Reminds me of the old Jobson days on moving to Basildon. I guess, at least with Rayleigh, it's not quite so far from Southend.

Also remember when Jobson also said if you dont like the club there is another one down the road.

WHAT !!!!!! Nice one, Not But i think quite a few did.

Myself personally, i would not give up on he club.

Players come, Managers go, Owners sell the club,
but the supporters are the only true consent.
that are there from young boys & girls to old men & women,
we are always there.

Yep, he did. Nuts!

I recall taking part in a sit-in demonstration at Upton Park after a match against Charlton.

Well we could chose not to believe what he is saying or get on board with it and take it as a positive.
Im to depressed with everything Southend to add a negative spin on this. I will allow myself to believe what he is saying and hope that positive change will come about.
I guess what other choice do we have. In Ron and Sol we trust!
UTB
:Takethat::LoyalSupporter:

I like it
I thought it was excellent also and correct. Some supporters never forgive and forget no matter what. Its the same with Spurs supporters angst against Sol Campbell because he left one place of employment to what he perceived a better position.My beliefs is RM is a very decent Chairman and owner and does his utmost to keep SUFC afloat.

Keep coming while I serve you up with s***. I need your money to make my dream come true.

Interesting reading I thought. While I wouldn't say I read everything Ron says and believe it - he does love a bluff - but I do believe he does also often speak from the heart where things like this are concerned. Whether he's right or wrong, I do think he believes this which gives us some insight into what he's thinking, what he sees and what he knows from inside.

Ron Martin said:
Supporters would argue they are really fed up. There is no doubt that must be true, I am equally “fed up”.

We are in this together but we can help each other to get out of it too.

Seems fair to me. It's royally **** right now, absolute non-league struggler levels of ****. But to get out of it, we need support from the terraces and the cashflow to continue - or we're in ever deeper ****.

Ron Martin said:
The negativity has been affecting the club long before Kevin Bond’s reign. Chris Powell stepped in because Phil Brown lost the dressing room, factions when players are needing to pull together is a recipe for disaster. It was this that caused Phil his job.

Again, difficult to argue if you look back over the last couple of seasons. It never was down to one person, one managerial failing, one departure, or one signing. For me, he's saying "this isn't down to Phil or Chris or Kevin. It's down to Phil AND Chris AND Kevin AND the bunch of shysters that are currently masquerading as League One footballers and taking the **** out of club and its supporters."

If that's what he's saying, he's bloody right.

Ron Martin said:
When Chris came in he released the arguably contentious individuals, some might say “characters”.

Another interesting observation. Any team I've been in (business, not football), the characters in the team are as fundamental to success/failure as the manager. You can set the direction but it's the characters that either take it on and lead by example or just show everyone else why they shouldn't bother. If you don't have your A-team with you, you are literally screwed and so is your team. Phil, Chris, Kevin and now Sol will ALL have known this as a basic of management, but yet they still couldn't turn it around. That means this runs DEEP. It means the rot had and has well set in. All that talk about three transfer windows was spot on.

Ron Martin said:
A football club needs characters on the pitch.
The other thing we've all been saying for some time is that if you let strong characters leave, you sure as hell need to bring some strong characters in. I'd wager there's not many who'd disagree that that's probably been our biggest failing. Whether that's a lack of heart in midfield or defence, it's lacking and it's why we look back at players like Timlin who served us excellently but yet weren't good enough to take us forward. Oh, to even think about moving FORWARD!!!

Ron Martin said:
There is no doubt during Chris’ time we were hugely unlucky with injuries, but maybe fitness played its part too.

Here's where he's not quite on point. There are no "maybe's". Fitness ABSOLUTELY played it's part and here the buck stops with Ron. It's Ron's job to manage the managers and make sure this stuff is TIGHT. And if the players weren't responding to tighter management, than this would've and should've been the red warning light Ron needed to help his management team take tough decisions.

Glad to see that he's taken big strides to rectify this with the current backroom team and conditioning pedigree, but it's way too late. This one is on Ron but hopefully he's learned a lesson from it. While other things went wrong, fitness issues just didn't happen under Phil Brown so why was that allowed to creep in and become accepted.

Ron Martin said:
Decisions on recruitment is always, certainly in the lower leagues, the responsibility of the manager and his staff. A chairman or CEO could not force a player on the manager, they must be his players. In recruiting players a chairman either backs the manager or sacks him.

I backed both Chris and Kevin.

Do I regret that? With some yes I do.

I supported Chris Powell and Kevin Bond with the best intentions but now we will make changes.

As CeCe Peniston would say.... FINALLY!

This last year, it just feels like Ron's been head in the clouds or somewhere else - particularly at the beginning of this season when Rome was burning and he was busily tanning himself up. Everyone deserves a holiday, but this is a Chairman of a League One football club we're talking about.

I'm buying into what Ron's said, but it's still too little, too late now it's game over for us in this League. Hopefully, his realisations are enough to stop us parachuting straight out of the Football League itself.

Ron Martin said:
Sol talks about the regime at the training ground having become “loose”. That does not happen overnight but creeps in over time and right now we can nip it in the bud.

Your club will not put up with sloppiness or uncaring players.
Yes, good. Spot on. Wish you'd picked it up 12 months ago.

Ron Martin said:
There are many in this squad who care passionately about winning, as the supporters do, and I do.

A group of individuals who, like me, will not accept failure.
Yes, good. Spot on. Wish you'd picked it up 12 months ago.

Ron Martin said:
Together we will do whatever it takes to get “The Blues” out of this mire.

We are already “on it”.

Too late again. But, I've made that point enough. Really great to hear the realisation and pennies dropping. Great to hear that Ron's noticed there are players in this squad who don't deserve to be here. Now Ron, get them out! Get them out NOW! Do NOT wait until January. Get the poison out of this club and let the footballing world know we will not see their likes again!

Ron Martin said:
Sol and I agree we probably need six new players in January to turn the tide and help those current players, who do care, to succeed too.

Sol is both widely respected and connected to recruit what we need.

In between does not mean for one minute we will not continue to give our all, on and off the pitch, and I am grateful for the fans continued support, brilliant as always despite the horrors.
Please stay with it for only together we can make a difference.

I cannot promise an immediate return to success but I might die trying!

Ron Martin said:
Finally off the pitch the council are doing their best also.
Seriously Ron, you were doing well, don't spoil it.

Who were the contentious / factious players CP got rid of? Wordsworth maybe? I heard good things about his character, but he’s a character. Timlin perhaps?

He's clearly referring to Nile Ranger (albeit I think he may have his timing slightly out) but the whole statement reaks of panic.

Yes, the other released was MAF who I doubt was contentious - just kept himself fitter than some of the others though.
Perhaps MAF only piece of contentiousness was that he told players they should take fitness seriously.

It doesn't matter what's said. It's all empty words.

The bottom line is that the players have to respect the manager and do what they are paid and contracted to do.

They owe it to us, the club and above all. themselves.

I’d hope that someone will post up a transcript of what Sol said at the AGM tonight? It’ll be interesting to see whether he has said anything similar to Ron’s statement.

We’re going down, no one is going to join us in January, he’s either dreaming or several war chests have been located.

I’d hope that someone will post up a transcript of what Sol said at the AGM tonight? It’ll be interesting to see whether he has said anything similar to Ron’s statement.

AGM?

He's clearly referring to Nile Ranger (albeit I think he may have his timing slightly out) but the whole statement reaks of panic.
Did Ranger not leave when PB was still in charge? I may be wrong, but it also suggested there was more than one person here. So it’s not clear

I think he is talking about Ranger and Timlin , I liked Timlin as a player but he was a bit of a loose cannon on nights out so I’ve been told , one particular incident in a local bar pretty much saw the rest of the team wipe their hands with him .
I think that and what happened else where that was heavily publicised set a divide between players which may of contributed to the performance or lack of effort from some

Ron is pumping in £200,000 per month to keep the club afloat. If, like some of you, he decides to chuck teddy in the corner.......Then we will be in trouble.

Back