• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell owed 180k...

Sol my have a few quid but who amongst us can put their hand up and say they would be happy being mugged off by Macclesfield?

Phil Brown and ESPECIALLY our 'fitness guy' are a lot more short of a pound note than Sol....

I said if someone is actually skint then I can accept this route is acceptable. People need to do what they need to do survive but the internet tells me Sol Campbell is multi millionaire and to put a club out of business to fill his already deep pockets just doesn't sit nicely with me.

Are you saying that because he's rich Sol should just bite the bullet and accept that he won't see that money again?

Are you saying that because he's rich Sol should just bite the bullet and accept that he won't see that money again?
I think the money may well be only a part of the issue. Will a myriad of lies and deceptions have been told and promised to Sol?
At what point does a debt become an amount to be legally pursued, or not?
What type of business is it that can get an exemption from debt morally (other than charity/tragic change of circumstance)?

I think the money may well be only a part of the issue. Will a myriad of lies and deceptions have been told and promised to Sol?
At what point does a debt become an amount to be legally pursued, or not?
What type of business is it that can get an exemption from debt morally (other than charity/tragic change of circumstance)?

That may also be true, but JL's argument seems to be that he should just give it up because he's rich, which seems an odd argument to me.

I am not saying that debt to rich people should not be paid. I am saying in this example he should not be backing the club be wound up so he can be paid.
He went there last year and kept them up and now he calling for all that work to be undone so he can get his already fat pockets greased. The club is obviously going through tough times but as long as it exists it will owe him money and when times get rosier he can get paid.

He should bloody show some respect to the people working there on a minimum wage who helped him in his first job and made it a success, those same people who are still working there not being paid, not being able to pay bills but carry on for the love of their club, the fans who still go and support the team he had in first job. The whole group that rallied behind him and kept their club up together.

If the taxman winds them up then so be it he will get a % or all of what he's owed but to publicly call for it - disgrace and at what cost to Macclefield, people lose their jobs and a community loses a football club.

Last edited:
Phil Brown and ESPECIALLY our 'fitness guy' are a lot more short of a pound note than Sol....

I said if someone is actually skint then I can accept this route is acceptable. People need to do what they need to do survive but the internet tells me Sol Campbell is multi millionaire and to put a club out of business to fill his already deep pockets just doesn't sit nicely with me.

The club won't be going out of business because of Sol Campbell. He is perfectly entitled to add his name to the creditors list otherwise he won't get anything.

The fact remains though that they clearly didn't have the money to pay him, it's the owners fault, not Sol.

The club won't be going out of business because of Sol Campbell. He is perfectly entitled to add his name to the creditors list otherwise he won't get anything.

The fact remains though that they clearly didn't have the money to pay him, it's the owners fault, not Sol.
The news is he has backed the club to be wound up not added his name to the creditors list. I'm pretty damn sure Macclesfield know they owe Sol the money they'll be legal documents etc like every other creditor they have and I'm pretty sure you're very right it's the owners fault.
But a well off football man to back the closure of a football club lol there's no way anyone could say anything to change my mind about this

This was a club that gave him his first chance in management when no one else would, after he had been turned down many times previously by other clubs. Perhaps he should remember that when joining in the clamour for them to be wound up. The real losers if they do go out of business will be those members of staff who have given years of service to their local club, not over paid managers and their backroom staff, nor dare I say, most of the players who will find a new club if they are any good. Southend could well be in a similar situation to Macclesfield with relegation looming and the consequent loss of income and I wonder if those sympathetic to Campbell would feel the same way if further down the road he was owed money by Martin and took the same stance. This is not a defence of the owners of the club by the way, clearly once again we have an example of the EFL' s 'fit and proper persons' test being utterly and farcically not fit for purpose.

Sol my have a few quid but who amongst us can put their hand up and say they would be happy being mugged off by Macclesfield?
Exactly and managers, players and fans need to stand up to rogue owners. They have got away with murder for far too long.

Exactly this. Spot on.

millionaire or not he is owed the money, if he needs to go that route then thats his right. I feel sorry for the supporters off the club ,but not the club its self, .

I fear theres too much off this going on in football ,Owners of clubs need to realise that they honour contracts,they expect players etc too ,sorry its the same in the work force.

millionaire or not he is owed the money, if he needs to go that route then thats his right. I feel sorry for the supporters off the club ,but not the club its self, .
Yep that’s the fact but as a millionaire are you going to take a club from a town that you kept up last year when people weren’t getting paid and let people lose their jobs who individually contributed to your successful job when you don’t need the money

Yep that’s the fact but as a millionaire are you going to take a club from a town that you kept up last year when people weren’t getting paid and let people lose their jobs who individually contributed to your successful job when you don’t need the money
£180,000 isn’t exactly small change.

£180,000 isn’t exactly small change.
Mate search him on the internet blokes a multi millionaire. Are you gonna back calls to put people who helped you achieve the success you had at the previous job on minimum wage not getting paid on the dole ??

Last edited:
Was there any direct quotes from him? If not I’d be very skeptical about this, it may well be that he said “Yes I want them to pay me the money they owed me” and the media have taken that and ran with “Sol Campbell wants club wound up”

Was there any direct quotes from him? If not I’d be very skeptical about this, it may well be that he said “Yes I want them to pay me the money they owed me” and the media have taken that and ran with “Sol Campbell wants club wound up”
He’s backed a winding up petition? Without saying ‘I want a club wound up’ that’s a pretty good way of putting it.
anyway here’s what his barrister said
‘Barrister Philip Currie, who represented Campbell, said Macclesfield owed his client about £182,000. He said Campbell also wanted the club to be wound up.’

Last edited:
Mate search him on the internet blokes a multi millionaire. Are you gonna back calls to put people who helped you achieve the success you had at the previous job on minimum wage not getting paid on the dole ??

JM...I wished i had your money problems!! if you think £182,000 is nothing more than pocket change!!

As others have said, if you got paid to do X amount of money for a job (be it building a house or installing a boiler etc etc.. and you did as required from client... & you did as required.... would you really not chase the client for full payment as included in the contract at the start date?... Or would you just take a £182,000 hit on your bank balance so just not to make a fuss?

JM...I wished i had your money problems!! if you think £182,000 is nothing more than pocket change!!

As others have said, if you got paid to do X amount of money for a job (be it building a house or installing a boiler etc etc.. and you did as required from client... & you did as required.... would you really not chase the client for full payment as included in the contract at the start date?... Or would you just take a £182,000 hit on your bank balance so just not to make a fuss?

You dont have to take a hit. Get on the list of creditors and be patient. 180 grand is a hell of a lot of money. But in sols case its only going to buy a small flat in sussex to add to his portfolio. They are a small club like us. Loyal fans and staff members like us. I dont see how someone in his position can be onboard with winding them up.

Surely proportionately its akin to someone on 30k a year throwing someone under the bus for the price of a coffee. Thats just the way i see it.

Back