• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not being paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron has also apologised and said it's his fault.

He did mumble an apology to the end to the fans and players (but not other staff) after blaming the players for not performing and the fans for not turning up in better numbers to watch the worst team in English football history.

Also I understand Ron will miss tomorrow's game as he is due to have surgery to have Jim White's tongue removed from his lower intestine. Must have been one of the weakest interviews ever.

A Ron promise is worthless!
What! All of them?
As much as the Bash Ron brigade have plenty of ammunition, the truth remains there is no else to bail out the club.
Bury and Bolton were not careful for what and whom they wished.
Every time there is a 'takeover' at a club, fans should hold their breath.

What! All of them?
As much as the Bash Ron brigade have plenty of ammunition, the truth remains there is no else to bail out the club.
Bury and Bolton were not careful for what and whom they wished.
Every time there is a 'takeover' at a club, fans should hold their breath.

I'll raise you that with 1000s of changes in football club ownership over the years which have gone fine.

This club is dying under Ron. He hasn't got the resources or the credentials to make it a success.

I'm afraid, as unpalatable as it is, we have to trust Ron. There is nowhere else to go it would seem. I don't want my beloved Club to die. COYBB

Ron is spot on, if our players didn’t perform s*** against MK Dons in League Cup, they would got an home game Vs Liverpool on sky sports that worth 500k to the club, enough for players wages for next 6 months!!

There has been so much misinformation and wrong information shared that it seems to me no-one knows the true facts. To me Ron's comments seem entirely plausible (back to the more detailed cash analysis and thoughts in previous posts). If the day comes when we all rely on the Daily Mail as a source of truth we may as well all get our coats.They will happily report what they are fed but very much doubt they would leave the office to get at the truth- even if they would recognise and choose to print it.

This uncertainty means people will default to there preferred position and view- those that hate Ron will blame him, believe their chosen alternative facts, will see in every comment an untruth or agenda that perhaps others don't. However, they will regard those who don't share views as guilty of all the same things. Fair enough- its a forum.

I very much doubt much further light will be shed so for me provided its sorted for now the tests will be back on the pitch and the activity in the window.

Actually this is quite illuminating (possibly, or maybe just for me) in terms of what it might suggest about the financial structures. Not surprisingly, thinking about it, the players wages sound as though come out of a specific account which seems to also have the income from games, merchandise etc go into it. So far so normal.

However, if income drops in any given month, that account seems to be unable to pay all or some of the wage bill - hence the regular issue in recent years.

If it really is as simple as that Ron, while it is understandable as a structure and theoretical cause/effect situation in the finances it isn’t satisfactory from a governance or employer position. If you have the ability to cover shortfalls, and thank heaven that you do seem to and are prepared to do, then surely it would be better to have financial management in place that would deal with this during payroll in a given month and not have to wait for people to be unpaid? I can’t see how this would cost you more or why it should be less attractive to you from a management or financial perspective - but it sure as hell is part of your duty of care as an employer. Please sort it out!

I heard him on Talksport. My thoughts her firstly fair play for going on there. He didn't have to. He sounded thoroughly fed up with the whole thing (he's not the only one) but his reasoning for the financial shortfall did sound plausible. My understanding is that the football club has a budget to run within, which is under the control of whoever is running the club on a day to day basis (which obviously isn't Ron). That budget can only be guessed at in advance at our level as you don't know about cup runs, general form and gate money etc. I doubt anyone would have budgeted for a run like ours & the financial implications of that run. Plus in the lead up to Christmas the lack of home games etc. It is understandable that there would be a financial shortfall in the budget, which according to RM became apparent just before the Christmas shutdown. In order for him to pay money in to the club (£140k was mentioned), he can't just make a payment, has to be done properly with legal implications as he's giving money from one company to another. He said his solicitors were shut until Monday meaning he couldn't do anything until then, and then it takes a few days to sort. So in his words, any outstanding salaries will be paid today and the problem shouldn't happen again moving forward. He's commited to the club and will continue to fund it. Yes it could all be hogwash, but sounded believable. I guess we'll all have to take our own view & what will be will be!

If its another inter-company loan very likely true re there needing supporting paperwork.

I also listened, he was calm and reasonable but seemed totally unaware of what was going on with players & staff? Either this is true or a politicians vague decoy? I just can’t find it in me to believe him anymore. He’s like a Jahovers witness who turns up every Saturday morning & tells you, God will save you if you see the light!

Players paid, stewards paid, Ron speaks, meeting players later, match on...so does that mean the mass protest is cancelled ??

I also listened, he was calm and reasonable but seemed totally unaware of what was going on with players & staff? Either this is true or a politicians vague decoy? I just can’t find it in me to believe him anymore. He’s like a Jahovers witness who turns up every Saturday morning & tells you, God will save you if you see the light!
I actually liked the interview
He apologised three times, he said it was his fault
He made a point of saying that most of the players are giving 100%. ( which many of us would see as generous).
His answer to “strike” questions was the right answer (- he doesn’t know about it)truefull or not
He is going to see the players at 2.00 and will apologise, and will ask about “ the strike”
He backed Campbell
He named the 5 positions where we have identified replacements ( not sure he should have named the positions- but he did)
Sticker, CB, CM,LB plus one more.
Yes he could have apologised more to staff- but overall it was as good as we are going to get

Let’s see how we play tomorrow

Last edited:

I do wonder how much of his time is taking up with the FF & RH projects- most of it I would imagine- they a huge projects. So maybe believable he has not been as all over the clubs cash position as he might have been. The problem is if you don't believe him I am not sure there is anyone else who has proven a more likely source of the truth- maybe CP who tends not to rush to print some of the more fanciful stuff and generally puts things in a very fair manner without guiding the lilly.

Last edited:
There has been so much misinformation and wrong information shared that it seems to me no-one knows the true facts. To me Ron's comments seem entirely plausible (back to the more detailed cash analysis and thoughts in previous posts). If the day comes when we all rely on the Daily Mail as a source of truth we may as well all get our coats.They will happily report what they are fed but very much doubt they would leave the office to get at the truth- even if they would recognise and choose to print it.

This uncertainty means people will default to there preferred position and view- those that hate Ron will blame him, believe their chosen alternative facts, will see in every comment an untruth or agenda that perhaps others don't. However, they will regard those who don't share views as guilty of all the same things. Fair enough- its a forum.

I very much doubt much further light will be shed so for me provided its sorted for now the tests will be back on the pitch and the activity in the window.
Well theres no doubt what camp you are in is there?

Well theres no doubt what camp you are in is there?
I would hope we're all in the same camp. Wanting the best for our club and at the moment wanting it to survive is the order of the day. KB is right - there has been misinformation and wrong information shared. There has also been information shared by some posters that has proved to be accurate. Personally I don't believe a lot of what the Daily Mail says ….. on any subject! I don't believe everything that Ron Martin says, sometimes it's true sometimes it's not and sometimes he's better off saying nothing but he gets hammered for that as well. I am very suspicious of anything that S Cox's other half writes as well as anything that "senior professionals" are reputed to have confided, given how some have responded to a succession of managers. Tomorrow we need to support our club. If that means cheering on players you don't believe are fit to wear the shirt or not giving Ron the sort of reception you think he deserves then that's what is needed. If the demise of our club is as imminent as some suggest let's not contribute to it.

He did mumble an apology to the end to the fans and players (but not other staff) after blaming the players for not performing and the fans for not turning up in better numbers to watch the worst team in English football history.

Also I understand Ron will miss tomorrow's game as he is due to have surgery to have Jim White's tongue removed from his lower intestine. Must have been one of the weakest interviews ever.

Unbelievably harsh, and a blatant, exaggerated lie. I can't believe you'd stoop so low!

:Moon:

It clearly isn't the worst team ever. Yet. In 1970/71, Newport only drew 4 of their first 25 league games (and only 2 of the first 22), plus were beaten 6-1 in the FA Cup first round by non-league Barnet!

Their first win was a 3-0 beating of... yes, that's right, good old SUFC. And I don't mean Scunthorpe or Sheffield United.

It was only 2 points for a win then but their 2nd half of the season, so graciously kick started by us, was spectacular in comparison; they finished on 28 points and their last 15 matches yielded 8 wins and 4 draws, including a 6 game unbeaten run. In new money, that would equate to 38 points. They amazingly didn't finish bottom but 3rd from bottom, above Hartlepool on goal average (!) and 6 points clear of Barrow, who must have been unbelievably dross.

Oh, by the way, Barrow did the double over us that year...

Last edited:
I do have a bit of sympathy with Ron as average attendances are down about 800 on last year (and they were low compared to recent seasons) and that equates to lost revenue of 150-200k if you take an average spend of £20 a seat. Staff should be paid on time and there is no excuse but simply blaming everything on him is unfair I feel. If the players were performing to a better standard then crowds would have been on par or better and the gap in finances wouldn't have been there.

I'll raise you that with 1000s of changes in football club ownership over the years which have gone fine.

This club is dying under Ron. He hasn't got the resources or the credentials to make it a success.
How many millions of times have I told you not to exaggerate? :Winking2:
Ask Newcastle, Watford (on multiple changes of manager), Leeds, Hull, Blackburn, Charlton, especially Charlton, Coventry, Blackpool, Orient and Macclesfield fans about changes of ownership over the last 10 years.
Just to repeat: 10 years.
There are plenty already gunning for the big spenders of the Premier League who endlessly wriggle out of spending against FFP rules.
The capricious nature of egotists who take on clubs and then get bored has to be a concern to all.

Question is, were the players being paid on time prior to this, though ? Maybe that was a reason they were under performing in the first place ? #justsaying

I do have a bit of sympathy with Ron as average attendances are down about 800 on last year (and they were low compared to recent seasons) and that equates to lost revenue of 150-200k if you take an average spend of £20 a seat. Staff should be paid on time and there is no excuse but simply blaming everything on him is unfair I feel. If the players were performing to a better standard then crowds would have been on par or better and the gap in finances wouldn't have been there.

Indeed. Revenue would just be the loss of the average fan, but the Commercial dept would also be facing a challenge in selling hospitality, sponsorship, Club shop and all the other add ons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back