• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Albion

One of 'the greatest minds in football' or a blinkered, inflexible control freak whose own agenda is more important than the team's success?
Cor, that's a tricky one, can I ask the audience?

I have stuck by Sol relentlessly because most of this mess is not his fault. But today, for me, is the first time since he has been here where the result is totally his fault.

For starters he just said in post match interview, and I quote..."I don't understand why we aren't in the right positions and give teams easy chances"... this baffled me because today he decided to take Dieng, who has played the last 5 games pretty well in defence, out of that position into midfield. That decision is literally his answer.

Secondly, yet again, we have lost while Rush, Goodship and Hutchinson are still sat on the bench with a substitution available. That simply is not good enough.

Last edited:
Got a season card. Won't renew. Possibly won't go again this season. My two mates who are diehards aren't going either.

This season has been a total ****take and the club has been allowed to decline both on and off the pitch.

The game was a complete non event against a bang average burton who comfortably swept us aside. Another side who have much smaller gates but compete well and don't get dragged to into disrepute and financial nightmares on a season by season basis.

Things will not improve with Ron in charge. And it would appear that Sol has lost the plot with his team selection.

This is also having a knock on effect on the u23s and 18s too. Both have started getting beat regularly because of absentees playing in the first team.

We didn't deserve anything today. We got nothing. Can't see us winning another game.

We were playing a team that put John-Joe O’Toole at CENTRE HALF and we played one up front. What an absolute tactical masterclass.

Can't fault the effort just keep making stupid mistakes that are costing us goals. Unmarked for the first, partial interception for the second and playing around with the ball.

Not sure about Sol's tactics at the moment either, not picking players for none football reasons and then not making changes when we need to score goals. I would love to know what they do in training as our set pieces are awful and some of our players can't control the ball.

I thought the atmosphere today was very flat and in truth am glad I shall not be at the next few games as feel I really need to take a break from it.
Cannot fault the youngsters enthusiasm and at times they play the ball around nicely and I sometimes think people forget just how young some of these players are but, 3 games in a week showed on them today.
Poor Charlie up front on his own - if we are not careful he will become despondent and that could have a negative impact on his game.
As others have said - not sure about Sol’s tactics and I a, still undecided in regards to his management techniques and to his man management too. Strange today, he came onto the pitch at the end. Never seen him do that.

On the bright side from today - There was some poor old boy (Aka Creako) in the West stand looking very lost and obviously had wandered off from his carer ?? but was good to see him

Strange today, he came onto the pitch at the end. Never seen him do that.

Yep I noticed that to.

He came onto the middle of the pitch and was shaking the hands of all the Burton Albion players and then turned and faced all the three home stands and clapped the fans.

Normally he goes straight down the tunnel, perhaps he was saying goodbye?

Why can't people accept things as they are? No Cox, no Hopper, no Humphries, what do people expect? People said get rid of all the senior players and play youngsters. That's what has happened and they are still not happy, did they expect anything different? Looking at Mantom's expression as he was subbed will not be surprised if he will be gone soon, that should make a lot of fans happy at least. With the amount of injuries don't think Campbell, with the current situation at the club, can improve things before next season. Give him a chance, encourage the younsters and look forward to next season.

An entertaining game which could have yielded more goals as both sides missed chances. Neither side had anything but pride at stake here - Burton in mid table with no realistic prospect of making the playoffs and us down ages ago in all honesty. Can't fault the youngsters for effort and enthusiasm, but honestly this side will struggle in L2 unless it is strengthened all round. What is of more concern is Campbell fielding an unnecessarily weakened, under strength side by freezing out Demetriou, Goodship and Hutchinson and persisting with Kelman as the lone striker among other eccentricities. Why? One of 'the greatest minds in football' or a blinkered, inflexible control freak whose own agenda is more important than the team's success?
Think that sums it up perfectly

I took some issue with Paul Clark’s comments last Saturday about the lack of leaders in the team. In that game I felt we had worked hard without getting the breaks and perhaps result we were due. It seemed an unduly harsh comment. Ditto against Gillingham but more so. Today’s performance made his point, I think. Although players tried- none more so than Macca- there just seemed to be a despondency amongst the players when we went a goal down. Body language was poor and no one seemed to have the belief and leadership to try to rally the team. We got a very lucky break to equalise but even then there didn’t seem to be the belief amongst the players that we could get a result.The sense of resignation seemed to affect the crowd. I guess it just underlines what a tough, tough season this is turning out to be. That said, I am so pleased to see the youngsters coming through and making their marks, albeit they have made mistakes. They are the future of our club and it is the more senior players who have let us down.

Tactics? I am no better than an armchair manager and don’t have to test my thoughts, selections and tactics in a game ... but Kelman alone up top just doesn’t make sense to me. Nor does bringing in an emergency goalkeeper who doesn’t have much more experience than the two we already have on our books.

I've not read any other reports here so far so apologies if I've not been influenced before posting. First things first, the coffee machine at the garage is working again so pre-match drinks were back on, always a good start. Ok, that's the highlights done, now for the game.

This was a definite candidate for the 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' award. We started sluggishly and went behind in the 5th minute, and although Burton weren't anything special that first goal was well executed and finished by their number 10 when he basically passed the ball into our net with us, including our keeper, watching it go in. Cue Southend adopting that '**** me, a goal already' approach. An approach which was shared by the Roots Hall faithful. But credit where credit is due, we started to get a bit more shape and on the 29th minute we equalised through Mantom (sort of), I've got to say that their keeper obviously felt sorry for us and hurried the ball into his net. That didn't matter, Sam had scored and his West Stand fan club weren't at all happy about it. Well, you can't pillary poor old Sam too much if he's bought us level, can you? And from then until the half time whistle everything on show was pretty underwhelming.

Following an entertaining half time where the Blue Belles performed in rather long black waders (presumably in honour of the floods in the rest of the UK) the second half got under way. And it really did look like this was a game too many for our struggling team. Our passing was wayward far too often and battling for the second ball was a thing of the past for this game. Because Sol wanted to make way for Joe Shaughnessy our Timothee was pitched into the midfield. That, in my view, was a mistake as the transition and having to run around for 90 minutes was a bit too much for him. Remember those days when he was blowing out of his arse after 70mins? well it was a bit like that. Conversely Shaughnessy had quite a solid game winning most balls in the air and only occasionally hitting hopeless long balls to nobody. Anyway, on we laboured and on 49 minutes Burton struck again through No 4, Edwards with a gifted chance which he duly stuck in the back of our net. Truthfully we were getting cut to pieces in the middle of the park and it was no surprise when Burton added to their tally on 74 minutes when Mitchell-Nelson decided not to clear his lines, instead he presented Murphy with the ball and a simple goal . No doubt Miles will learn from that but his head went down at the time. To his credit he kept going after that. We all then thought, bugger, this could be a high score now, but luckily Burton decided against scoring again. On to 4 minutes of extra time and two of our subs used. Just when you don't think Southend can surprise you any more we get another back with an OG from O'Toole (smug mode). For a moment we thought it was Shaughnessy's a la the announcer, now that would have been one for the records books, Sam and Joe scoring in the same game. And the final bit of excitement, a free kick awarded to Southend just outside their 18yd box, the adrenaline was flowing let me tell you and up stepped Stevie Mc. Could the imposssible happen and we snatch a point? Nope, but never mind it was glorious 4 minutes in an otherwise forgettable game. To me it look as if this was a game too many in close proximity today. Our seniors, with the exception of Elvis, just weren't on their game today and our younger players showed their inexperience. Mom for me this week? Elvis without a doubt, he gets better every game.

So now the team have a week to rest up and prepare for Oxford. Some questions for Sol over keepers maybe and also our perennial issue of a midfield that just can't tackle. Still it didn't rain and the crowd respected the minute's applause for Lily and a Burton supporter that died on our seafront before the game excellently.

Yep I noticed that to.

He came onto the middle of the pitch and was shaking the hands of all the Burton Albion players and then turned and faced all the three home stands and clapped the fans.

Said exactly the same thing.

Garbage, isn't it? I am not one of those people who shouted "play the kids" because this is what happens when you play kids. They make mistakes, they get tired and they lose confidence. We are playing what we have to play, but I don't understand why there isn't some rotation to protect them. I don't understand a lot of things.

Today, there were a couple of positives. Shagnasty appears to be the leader we've needed at back. For the first half, all you could hear was him encouraging and organising. That in itself says how flat the crowd were. I thought Mitchell-Nelson was doing really well until his mistake for the third goal. Elvis continues to be a decent player. Sol had some fantastic trousers on.

And that's really where it ends.

Burton were a distinctly average team, who never looked like doing anything apart from taking three points. Teams just turn up here, don't get out of first gear and take the points.

We are woefully out of our depth in this division. We lack any sort of plan B. Looking at our fixtures, with the exception of Bolton, I don't see where another point is coming from. I ask myself "why I am still doing this?" I am not the only one. Today we just sat there, muted, watching things unfold. It's like watching your favourite pet being to sleep.

Well Burton hadn't won any of their last 6 games but we gave them an easy win. The wind was horrible today much worse than last week from a different direction. The game started like it was an end of season match with nothing to play for for either side.

So far I given Sol the benefit of the doubt but from my privileged viewing position I had to ask myself whether at any point he was bothered about the result - he certainly did nothing to get us to try and score.

Whilst the youngsters still show their enthusiasm and will enjoy their game time losing every week will soon start to affect their confidence. Poor young Charlie must be pulling his hair out as he rarely had a team mate within 30 yards of him. I really do think it will be doing him any good. Having got a few players back from injury I hoped for something a lot better. But Dieng and Milligan together are never going to cover much ground. I thought Mantom really put a shift in and covered more yards in his 70 minutes than the other 2 did in 90. He should have stayed on. Captain Dieng is hardly a leader from midfield.

The usual soft goals conceded ( another bad slip by Mitchell Nelson in an otherwise promising performance) and two softer ones scored. I really can’t think of any highlights, apart from Elvis, bar the last two minutes of added on time.

It is what it is - we’ll it is if you don’t try and change it.

Yep I noticed that to.

Who was this was this Campball your talking about

Yep I noticed that to.

We can only hope and pray.

Ratings

Gk - 7 is he buzzing back off to the bees now?
Elvis - 6 Not his best game defensively but as usual tried hard
Mitchell - 4 You can’t make mistakes like that at this level. Looked good in first half
Shaughnessey - 5 Can’t stand him
Clifford - 7 Love him
Dieng - 5 GET HIM BACK IN DEFENCE HES USELESS IN MIDFIELD
Mantom - 4 Useless, remember one pass where we were on the break and he proceeded to smash it out
Milligan - 8 Hes genuinely our best player now
Macca - 6 Worked hard again but frustrating at times
Egbri - 5 That’s his foot size aswell probably
Kelman - 10 Because if I were him I would give up

Sol - 0 Poor team selection Poor formation Poor Poor Poor
Nice trousers though mate

Sol out???

Back