• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Albion

Another L to add the to the growing list , at home playing kids and we try and shut up shop against a team that had lost quite a few recently - we are not allowed to question Sols tactics as it’s not his fault , he is allowed a free ride at this as it’s all Powell , Ron and Bonds fault

As usual this thread manages to offer some alternative views. For my money:

Sol’s decisions are baffling - if Demi was fit he should have been in. Why was Egbri continued with? He might become a player but is nowhere near yet. Goodship and Hutchinson would have been much better options.

Thought Mantom was poor and very wasteful today.

Macca as usual was totally committed.

Usual Elvis - Looked a world beater at times when going forward and looked non-league defending.

Shaughnessy was strong at the back.

Why sign another kid in goal?????

I agree 1 up front is tough on Charlie but a couple of times when he was in a race with O’Toole he was always going to win. That’s the tactic we needed to employ. It made me think of the tactics Sturrock used to employ - an effective lower league manager.

Hopefully for the next game we will have three more in the squad to offer something new.

Another L to add the to the growing list , at home playing kids and we try and shut up shop against a team that had lost quite a few recently - we are not allowed to question Sols tactics as it’s not his fault , he is allowed a free ride at this as it’s all Powell , Ron and Bonds fault
Dunno if your being sarcastic or not but yeah.

I don't think Campbell has a good reputation within the game. I remember watching Football Focus when he was first appointed Macclesfield manager. The pundits on the show were discussing remarks made by SC when he took the job and their conclusion was that his comments would not contribute to a happy dressing room. They certainly were not very supportive of SC. On the other hand he did well to help them avoid the drop. Time will tell if he becomes a good manager, so far the jury is out.

Garbage, isn't it? I am not one of those people who shouted "play the kids" because this is what happens when you play kids. They make mistakes, they get tired and they lose confidence. We are playing what we have to play, but I don't understand why there isn't some rotation to protect them. I don't understand a lot of things.

Today, there were a couple of positives. Shagnasty appears to be the leader we've needed at back. For the first half, all you could hear was him encouraging and organising. That in itself says how flat the crowd were. I thought Mitchell-Nelson was doing really well until his mistake for the third goal. Elvis continues to be a decent player. Sol had some fantastic trousers on.

And that's really where it ends.

Burton were a distinctly average team, who never looked like doing anything apart from taking three points. Teams just turn up here, don't get out of first gear and take the points.

We are woefully out of our depth in this division. We lack any sort of plan B. Looking at our fixtures, with the exception of Bolton, I don't see where another point is coming from. I ask myself "why I am still doing this?" I am not the only one. Today we just sat there, muted, watching things unfold. It's like watching your favourite pet being to sleep.

At least that poor animal would be out of its pain and misery …...unlike us this season

As usual this thread manages to offer some alternative views. For my money:

Sol’s decisions are baffling - if Demi was fit he should have been in. Why was Egbri continued with? He might become a player but is nowhere near yet. Goodship and Hutchinson would have been much better options.

Thought Mantom was poor and very wasteful today.

Macca as usual was totally committed.

Usual Elvis - Looked a world beater at times when going forward and looked non-league defending.

Shaughnessy was strong at the back.

Why sign another kid in goal?????

I agree 1 up front is tough on Charlie but a couple of times when he was in a race with O’Toole he was always going to win. That’s the tactic we needed to employ. It made me think of the tactics Sturrock used to employ - an effective lower league manager.

Hopefully for the next game we will have three more in the squad to offer something new.

'It made me think of the tactics Sturrock used to employ' - ah 'Big Bad Barry Corr' - happy days

I've not read any other reports here so far so apologies if I've not been influenced before posting. First things first, the coffee machine at the garage is working again so pre-match drinks were back on, always a good start. Ok, that's the highlights done, now for the game.

This was a definite candidate for the 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' award. We started sluggishly and went behind in the 5th minute, and although Burton weren't anything special that first goal was well executed and finished by their number 10 when he basically passed the ball into our net with us, including our keeper, watching it go in. Cue Southend adopting that '**** me, a goal already' approach. An approach which was shared by the Roots Hall faithful. But credit where credit is due, we started to get a bit more shape and on the 29th minute we equalised through Mantom (sort of), I've got to say that their keeper obviously felt sorry for us and hurried the ball into his net. That didn't matter, Sam had scored and his West Stand fan club weren't at all happy about it. Well, you can't pillary poor old Sam too much if he's bought us level, can you? And from then until the half time whistle everything on show was pretty underwhelming.

Following an entertaining half time where the Blue Belles performed in rather long black waders (presumably in honour of the floods in the rest of the UK) the second half got under way. And it really did look like this was a game too soon for our struggling team. Our passing was wayward far too often and battling for the second ball was a thing of the past for this game. Because Sol wanted to make way for Joe Shaughnessy our Timothee was pitched into the midfield. That, in my view, was a mistake as the transition and having to run around for 90 minutes was a bit too much for him. Remember those days when he was blowing out of his arse after 70mins? well it was a bit like that. Conversely Shaughnessy had quite a solid game winning most balls in the air and only occasionally hitting hopeless long balls to nobody. Anyway, on we laboured and on 49 minutes Mitchell-Nelson decided not to clear his lines, instead he presented their No 4, Edwards with a gifted chance which he duly stuck in the back of our net. No doubt Miles will learn from that but his head went down at the time. To his credit he kept going after that. Truthfully we were getting cut to pieces in the middle of the park and it was no surprise when Burton added to their tally on 74 minutes. We all then thought, bugger, this could be a high score now, but luckily Burton decided against scoring again. On to 4 minutes of extra time and two of our subs used. Just when you don't think Southend can surprise you any more we get another back with an OG from O'Toole (smug mode). For a moment we thought it was Shaughnessy's a la the announcer, now that would have been one for the records books, Sam and Joe scoring in the same game. And the final bit of excitement, a free kick awarded to Southend just outside their 18yd box, the adrenaline was flowing let me tell you and up stepped Stevie Mc. Could the imposssible happen and we snatch a point? Nope, but never mind it was glorious 4 minutes in an otherwise forgettable game. To me it look as if this was a game too many in close proximity today. Our seniors, with the exception of Elvis, just weren't on their game today and our younger players showed their inexperience. Mom for me this week? Elvis without a doubt, he gets better every game.

So now the team have a week to rest up and prepare for Oxford. Some questions for Sol over keepers maybe and also our perennial issue of a midfield that just can't tackle. Still it didn't rain and the crowd respected the minute's applause for Lily and a Burton supporter that died on our seafront before the game excellently.

If only we had the option of playing a sub, to bring on fresh attacking legs....?

Egbri better today than he has been, I hope he proves me wrong (about not being good enough).

Negative tactics again, if you’re gonna die, at least die with your boots on.

If Campbell proves to be successful, I couldn’t care less about him being odd, but his personality is not going to buy him any time if/when things start to go wrong.

Sol’s agenda of trying to be a football manager. What a *******.

You can’t blame Sol. How can you? He’s working with half the tools n some of the machine is missing. Simple!

Ron Martin still getting away with it.

Can’t wait for the summer.

Pretty dumb saying “this *names academy player* isn’t good enough” or “can’t make mistakes like that at this level” while referencing a 19 year old youth player. That’s kind of the point. Campbell is a nutcase and he made some odd changes to the team today in my view but mostly the club has just been run like **** for too long and after the January we’ve had and our financial situation I’ll be happy to just see another win this season. Royally ****ed off with the whole thing and I’m scared about what happens beyond this season.

I’m not sure if I’m impressed or not to be honest
Yes we are fitter- and that is a down to his contacts - but be honest it would have been difficult for us not to have been fitter.

He got rid of the problem players- again surely that was a given

Team selection- to be honest most games he hasn’t had many decisions to make, we have so few players.

In the next few weeks we will hopefully have more players available and we will be able to better see what he is trying to do.

I like what I have seen, but it’s only what I expected , nothing more/ nothing

I would like it if we understood why according to some ITK that his relationship with some players is not so good. That for me is the big letdown and I appreciate that their are two sides to every story- and the comments on here could be very wide if the mark for all I know.

This time tomorrow after we have won 3-0 I reserve the right to go from neutral to buy ?

Well today- and I talking about the selection, set up, subs- not the score, did nothing to move me in to the “ doing a good job” camp

Sol’s agenda of trying to be a football manager. What a *******.

You can’t blame Sol. How can you? He’s working with half the tools n some of the machine is missing. Simple!

Ron Martin still getting away with it.

Can’t wait for the summer.

Good to see you back Dave:Winking:

I agree Ron's the main villain here, and your analogy rings true.

However, I've tried hard to back Sol, but I knew as soon as that team was announced we were likely to lose. Back to Dieng & Mantom in midfield, what was he thinking?

Dieng, whilst not setting the world alight, has been as good it gets at CB, in midfield he's ****e, we saw that last season, why expect better today? And he replaces him with Shaughnessy, who was awful before getting injured and presumably isn't fully fit!

Sol's been dealt a poor hand by Ron for sure, but he set us up to (at best) get a 0-0 today.

Edit: TBF I'm not sure you were defending Sol's decision's on the pitch today, so apologies. I agree, what is his 'so called' agenda? I hope the OP can enlighten us?

Last edited:
I have had enough. No way am I renewing next season. Even when we get first teamers back he does not play them. I would not be surprised that when we eventually are allowed to play the two Macc players Campbell will leave them out the squad.
Or play one in goal and bring the other on 30 seconds before the final whistle. They can sit next to Hutchinson. The Man is a Buffoon. He does think tactics are Scottish mints. For me, his team selection and formation leaves a lot to desire and this is only outdone by his mindless ramblings at the post-match interview. The Man is an idiot and I dont think his players would even follow him out of idle curiosity; incidentally Mantom was less than pleased to be taken off and went straight to the dressing room.

Sol's agenda keeps being mentioned - what do people think is on it then?

Isn’t it obvious?

Sol Vs. Ron

Ones got the hump because he feels lied to & undermined, and the other is desperately searching for a receipt and the phone number to Trading Standards, because he hasn’t purchased what he thought he was purchasing.

Or as some might say, it’s all made up rumours on an Internet forum, and the weird behaviour from both parties are purely coincidental.

Back