• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football league suspended until April 4th

I can only see two plausible options: play all games (inc play offs) in some form whether behind close doors or not or declare the season null and void. I don't think you can change the rules of the competition once it has started i.e. by cancelling play offs etc.

Statement now on the Club website:

If Ron has raised the money to pay HMRC this could actually be a complete and utter godsend. If he can’t sort HMRC then yes we’re doomed. But he shouldn’t of been focusing on ticket sales to pay HMRC anyway.

Why should anybody bale out the clubs? What about people who will not get paid when everything closes down and a recession could be the outcome. Southampton posts a massive loss, heard that Aston Villa sold their ground to help clear their debts (if true), West Ham no ground to sell if any problems. What happens to Sky when there are no games to broadcast. The time appears right for a reorganisation of football to make it more sustainable and I hope it happens.

Not a chance, however sensible it might seem.

If Ron has raised the money to pay HMRC this could actually be a complete and utter godsend. If he can’t sort HMRC then yes we’re doomed. But he shouldn’t of been focusing on ticket sales to pay HMRC anyway.

If the budget is to believed in addition to underwriting 80% of any business loan one of the measures available (businesses under 100 people?) was tax deferral. So maybe not under both scenarios.

Ron can’t afford for SUFC to go bust. But also wouldn’t care if we are League 1, League 2 or Conference when he got planning permission.

He will lose the opportunity to do anything with the land. The council will not allow planning permission on FF without a football club in Southend.

He will lose the 10s of millions the FF development will generate him personally and also ruin his relationship with the billionaire brothers.

From a business sense right now if I was Ron.

- If I have the £600K for HMRC. The cancellation of games won’t change that, I would of had it or not. Pay it.
- Pay the £220K in wages

at this point with the current climate THE EFL will have to offer some form of support of the 92 as we know it today is over!

Still, one minute Ron is the devil for bringing our club to the brink, and then many posters say there are many clubs in such poor shape they will struggle to survive this Corona baloney. So maybe Ron is just one of many in the same boat and perhaps attracts a little more vitriol thans fair.

Still, one minute Ron is the devil for bringing our club to the brink, and then many posters say there are many clubs in such poor shape they will struggle to survive this Corona baloney. So maybe Ron is just one of many in the same boat and perhaps attracts a little more vitriol thans fair.

There’s probably an element of truth here. I think Ron’s got a near impossible job. He/we desperately need someone with deep pockets to roll up and invest. If we had the sort of benefactor Bournemouth got 5 or 6 years ago Fossett’s Farm would be built, we’d have been in there for maybe 3 years and I believe we’d be at least League One playoffs on the pitch. Money talks in football and we haven’t got any.

Clearly we are in the dark on this as even the people making the rules are playing it by ear at the moment. However, at its most positive (from a SUFC £ perspective) 1) the league gets written off and we start again in L1 with a clean slate 2) the investment Ron was after will be based on a share of the FF deal rather than SUFC profits and so may not be adversely affected 3) The EFL/Govt/Insurance/interest rates will mitigate the trading problems caused by this crisis.

As I say it’s the most positive but we could be talking about this season as the great escape rather than the year we folded (which I haven’t ruled out as a possibility).

Maybe Ron’s donations to the Tory Party will Pay back ?

I can only see two plausible options: play all games (inc play offs) in some form whether behind close doors or not or declare the season null and void. I don't think you can change the rules of the competition once it has started i.e. by cancelling play offs etc.

At this point in time they seem to have taken the decision primarily to protect players and staff rather than limit the size of the crowds. If that's the case then playing behind closed doors isn't an option

I very much doubt any TAX breaks or incentives by the Government because of Corona will apply to us, nor do I think the HMRC or the EFL will be any more lenient as we were already in trouble and owing a mass of money before the suspension of games.
You cannot blame 11 winding up orders, playing inellible players or at least 2 cases of non payment of wages on the current health scare

BBC Sport's Simon Stone has answered some of your questions about this season and the impact the suspension will have on the sport.

Will there be any financial assistance to lower league clubs who will have no income for the next month?
Stone: "I don't know if the EFL has enough money to start handing out bridging loans. Like most businesses, clubs will have to find a way round their present situation."

IF there is an suspension of EFL games until at least 4th April. That means Southend will miss out on two pretty big home games v Bolton and Sunderland. Both, particularly Sunderland would of generated large sums of matchday income. That would be disastrous and possibly fatal...

Ron needs to sink that huge investment into the club sharpish. Although I do worry in the current climate how on earth he will find anyone to borrow from.

As said above, the only answer is an emergency relief fund made available to clubs in need. Not as if the EPL/FA/EFL/Government don't have the resource.

Although obviously this is very concerning. Could it actually be a blessing in disguise?...will it reduce the heat from HMRC/EFL regards non-payment of wages/tax enabling us more time to resolve and reduce/delay/remove any subsequent sanctions they were considering.

Government money is public money and will be required for the greater public need. Not good for us and other clubs but in the greater scheme of things, we are way down the pecking order.
Worth mentioning that this is not government advice, indeed the rugby league is still on.

Back