• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

Fresh orange juice, bacon sandwich on wholemeal bread with HP sauce and then fresh bodum of coffee.

Got off my fat arse and went for a run this morning. Haven’t been out for one in about 7 months. Still haven’t fully recovered from my cold but still managed a fairly decent 5k in 25 minutes.
I'd love a time like that, I think I chucked in football about 4 years ago and haven't run since, Do a lot of gym work and kept in good shape so didn't realise how unfit I'd got. Since lockdown I've tried a run every week. Been 3k up until a couple of weeks ago and my 1st effort at 5k was 32 mins! All the guys I used to play footy with are posting times like yours, shamed me into trying to get fit again.

I'd love a time like that, I think I chucked in football about 4 years ago and haven't run since, Do a lot of gym work and kept in good shape so didn't realise how unfit I'd got. Since lockdown I've tried a run every week. Been 3k up until a couple of weeks ago and my 1st effort at 5k was 32 mins! All the guys I used to play footy with are posting times like yours, shamed me into trying to get fit again.

Im a natural freak when it comes to running. I’ve always been able to push good times without training and at my unfittest. If I work hard I can get sub 20’s, now I’ve gone past 30 it’s a lot harder but I’m hoping to do that again. My goal would be to beat my 10k PB of 41 minutes and try and get sub 40.

Im a natural freak when it comes to running. I’ve always been able to push good times without training and at my unfittest. If I work hard I can get sub 20’s, now I’ve gone past 30 it’s a lot harder but I’m hoping to do that again. My goal would be to beat my 10k PB of 41 minutes and try and get sub 40.

My mate, almost 50, can do a 5K in under 20 mins. Now that's freaky!

Haha I've gone a long way past 30, I'm 39 in September and I hate it everytime I run

My mate, almost 50, can do a 5K in under 20 mins. Now that's freaky!

Thats insane!!

Haha I've gone a long way past 30, I'm 39 in September and I hate it everytime I run

I don’t really enjoy it either. It’s getting the motivation to get out there. Once I’m out I’m alright, I need something to aim for. Once they start up again I’ll probably sign up for some of the bigger running events.

Small steps (if you'll pardon the pun). The first time I ever ran on a treadmill in a gym I decided to see how far I could get in a 30 mins, and that was with a gradient of 0. It was about 4.5k. On a good day i'm now running 5k in around 22 minutes with a gradient of 1*. It's taken a long time to get there though.

(*1 degree gradient on a running machine is approximately the same as running outdoors on the flat. I was skeptical about how accurate that was, but since I've been running outdoors my 10k times are pretty much on a par with my indoor times so it must be pretty accurate.)

BTW - I was 50 in February...

I don’t really enjoy it either. It’s getting the motivation to get out there. Once I’m out I’m alright, I need something to aim for. Once they start up again I’ll probably sign up for some of the bigger running events.

I don't know if you're the same, but I actually enjoy it afterwards. I hate the thought of it, and really have to push myself out the door (actually I was supposed to be running now - but have decided to start at 11.30). I also hate the actual run, especially the route I take which is very dull and takes a lot of mental strength not to just give in. But, once I've finished I always think that it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, and then start thinking that I actually quite enjoyed it.

Who are those two old men on The Muppets?

I don't know if you're the same, but I actually enjoy it afterwards. I hate the thought of it, and really have to push myself out the door (actually I was supposed to be running now - but have decided to start at 11.30). I also hate the actual run, especially the route I take which is very dull and takes a lot of mental strength not to just give in. But, once I've finished I always think that it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, and then start thinking that I actually quite enjoyed it.

Wiggy & Cricko? Statler & Waldorf.

Statler and Waldorf.

Yeah it was a real struggle at 7am I nearly bottled it. Once I got out and running I started to feel better and then when I got home I was pleased I went out.

Got off my fat arse and went for a run this morning. Haven’t been out for one in about 7 months. Still haven’t fully recovered from my cold but still managed a fairly decent 5k in 25 minutes.

This lockdown has forced me into running as my normal 3 x weekly 6 a side footy has been mothballed to zero.

Always hated running and was never any good at steady running, 30 years of playing football have tuned my body for short repetitive sprints rather than distance running. Also those years have played havoc with my achilles tendons so I get pains and cramps when running on hard surfaces.

Any how at almost 46 I feared that stopping football and not replacing it to keep my fitness up would make it very difficult to start again so running it is. 3 weeks in, I'm now doing 5k everyday and once or twice a week push that up to 8k something that I could never imagine doing before.

Went out this morning and timed my 5k through Grove Woods, my route takes me up two horrible long steep inclines to make it even worse!

Was pleasantly surprised to notch a time of 25:47 although it nearly finished me off. Not easy in the blustery wind either so I will try to beat the 25 minute barrier for my next challenge.

Statler and Waldorf.

Yeah it was a real struggle at 7am I nearly bottled it. Once I got out and running I started to feel better and then when I got home I was pleased I went out.

That's exactly like me. I'm also please when I force myself to do something I didn't want to. It's good for your mental strength.

Mind you the only time I run early morning is in the middle of summer when it's too hot otherwise. I find it very difficult to run unless I've had a lot to drink first, and then given my stomach time to settle. That may be an age thing, but I really struggle otherwise. Although, again, maybe it's the thought of it rather than anything else.

BTW: I've just got back from my 10k. Last week I thought I was going fast and was 30 seconds slower than average. Today I thought I was slow (especially in the wind) and was about 60 seconds faster than average. Clearly I have no idea how to pace myself!

Last edited:
Back