• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

Isn't the government/NHS guidelines that if anyone is found to have the virus, anyone they came into contact with have to self-isolate for a minimum of 7 days ? All of a sudden, a whole squad could have come into contact with the infected player ;)
Exactly. With players training virtually alone the 6 Premier League players who got it this weekend have to self isolate. If they had played a match before being found positives, both squads would be out of action. Actually even if a player had symptoms the rest would have to isolate.

Isn't the government/NHS guidelines that if anyone is found to have the virus, anyone they came into contact with have to self-isolate for a minimum of 7 days ? All of a sudden, a whole squad could have come into contact with the infected player ;)
if they play on then they wont be in contact with each other if anyone fails a test, bit like the prem is now and the champ is proposed to be and how they work in Germany.

so that goes out the window

Was there a majority decision by clubs for the supposed two options?
If so, how many for and against?
What if clubs simply void the vote? Surely, all 24 vote or none? Transparency might be a good thing, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm interested to see what actual obligations we have, I'd think no less of Southend if we just said no to playing.

I know that us trying to justify avoiding relegation is a bit tenuous, but have L2 already stated no relegation? Surely if it’s good enough for them...

I think Stevenage will be relegated, but it depends on what happens to clubs in the league below such as Barrow and Harrogate. There is also talk of a second league two with all National league teams coming up to make two new divisions, league two North and South.

I'm teetering on the edge of really falling out of love with football over all this, at the risk of sounding overly dramatic. I'm not missing football anywhere near as much as I thought I would, the German games I watched all of them and it felt like a chore and I'm genuinely not bothered if we are relegated or not, the Euro tickets I have I might just sell back, it doesn't bode well. Has anyone else questioned their love for the game?

I'm teetering on the edge of really falling out of love with football over all this, at the risk of sounding overly dramatic. I'm not missing football anywhere near as much as I thought I would, the German games I watched all of them and it felt like a chore and I'm genuinely not bothered if we are relegated or not, the Euro tickets I have I might just sell back, it doesn't bode well. Has anyone else questioned their love for the game?

Must say that as much as this is all very frustrating the global pandemic is so much more important. However as a sports fan I'm missing cricket, rugby, golf u name it. But I'm missing SUFC so much more. We go home and away and despite another dire season we still enjoy our match days. I've not fallen out of love with football or any other sport but I've missed it hugely.. when it's right to return to grounds again we will be first in line to support Southend, Essex, England etc. But agree this whole situation has gone on way too long and the EFL have let everyone down. They should have made the right calls so that all EFL clubs finish the season the same way in whatever league they might be in or end up in

Its an absolute shambles and a farce. The EFL are a joke ,Mostly full of money hungry bastards that have no love for the game,just themselves and their deep pockets Most of the owners and chairmen should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves,and as for the FA everyone of them should resign ,bunch of gutless no hopers afraid of their own shadows .

Being suggested that EFL might now delay vote until next week- given one of the two alleged options is play on this endless dither and delay is making this ever more unlikely? Combined with that the indications appear to be that there will just be one PPG option presented- the same as L2 (without the L2 request on relegation).

The delay's probably because they know that clubs who will be in 7-10 who have spent a fortune on their promotion bid, and who are now also aware of wage cup proposals, will go potty- namely the likes of Peterborough, Sunderland and maybe Ipswich.

Do EFL roll over with an extended playoff ridding themselves of the last sheds of their integrity, or go with what they appear to have decided accepting it could get very legal on the whole thing unravelling altogether.

So down the road the can goes??

Last edited:
Being suggested that EFL might now delay vote until next week- given one of the two alleged options is play on this endless dither and delay is making this ever more unlikely? Combined with that the indications appear to be that their will just be one PPG option presented- the same as L2 (without the L2 request on relegation).

The delays probably because they know that clubs who will be in 7-10 who have spent a fortune on their promotion bid, and who are now also aware of wage cup proposals, will go potty- namely the likes of Peterborough, Sunderland and maybe Ipswich.

Do EFL role over with an extended playoff ridding themselves of the last sheds of their integrity, or go with what they appear to have decided accepting it could get very legal on the whole thing unravel altogether.

Pretty much sums it up, from the feedback i got yesterday there were 4 options, the 2 mentioned, null and void and end season as is. If they have gone to the 2 options mentioned that hasnt been relayed to me, but i was busy yesterday with other things.

This is what I was alluding too with the spending, there will be FFP considerations and those issues have not even been discussed, people gamble on promotion and could be up the wall now, thats why the push for other options (every club looks after themselves so to speak).

Wage cap is an interesting idea and one that i think is a good one. I am not keen on L2 north and south As then you have 48 teams going for 4 places 2 form each division making promotion harder

Listening to the Aldershot chief this morning talking about the future. He brought up the old plan about having Premier League under 21 teams in the lower divisions. That's all we need!

Mine has definitely diminished over the past few years. Probably a number of factors involved including Southend's poor showing the last 3 seasons and Essex being superb, meaning cricket has excited me more (winning the world cup helped there too). I'm missing cricket a lot more than football.

I think players refusing to play is fair enough. Would a player at Peterborough who's contract is up in the summer would say he doesn't feel safe playing publically? I'd wager he wouldn't because DM would not be happy and this player would want a new contract. League one has a responsibility to safeguard these players. Null the season or finish it as is/PPG some clubs will do well from it others will be unlucky. This is bigger vthan football though and everyone just needs to take it on the chin.

Being suggested that EFL might now delay vote until next week- given one of the two alleged options is play on this endless dither and delay is making this ever more unlikely? Combined with that the indications appear to be that there will just be one PPG option presented- the same as L2 (without the L2 request on relegation).

The delay's probably because they know that clubs who will be in 7-10 who have spent a fortune on their promotion bid, and who are now also aware of wage cup proposals, will go potty- namely the likes of Peterborough, Sunderland and maybe Ipswich.

Do EFL roll over with an extended playoff ridding themselves of the last sheds of their integrity, or go with what they appear to have decided accepting it could get very legal on the whole thing unravelling altogether.

Just make a sodding decision. Will be August at this rate

Pretty much sums it up, from the feedback i got yesterday there were 4 options, the 2 mentioned, null and void and end season as is. If they have gone to the 2 options mentioned that hasnt been relayed to me, but i was busy yesterday with other things.

This is what I was alluding too with the spending, there will be FFP considerations and those issues have not even been discussed, people gamble on promotion and could be up the wall now, thats why the push for other options (every club looks after themselves so to speak).

Wage cap is an interesting idea and one that i think is a good one. I am not keen on L2 north and south As then you have 48 teams going for 4 places 2 form each division making promotion harder

Don't rule out the clubs amending the PPG proposition to say 3-10 in the playoffs and no relegations. EFL will be told this will satisfy all as a compromise and if they don't accept there will be serious losers who will challenge (whether 7-10 or Tranmere)...a massive L1 centric fudge but in the void it's the outcome I now see...

Perhaps we should open a book..

Don't rule out the clubs amending the PPG proposition to say 3-10 in the playoffs and no relegations. EFL will be told this will satisfy all as a compromise and if they don't accept there will be serious losers who will challenge (whether 7-10 or Tranmere)...a massive L1 centric fudge but in the void it's the outcome I now see...

Perhaps we should open a book..
Lol yes but what to bet on

i do not see no relegation, from what i understand there will be relegation from L1

Back