• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thats true, it is also the cul de sac of the world and not a major transport hub like London. It also has a much lower population. I wonder what will happen when international travel restrictions are lifted?

Hopefully not very much as travel restrictions won't be fully lifted until July 1st, ie after the summer kicks in.

Although the risk of a second wave of the virus in the autumn is always very much there,of course.

I agree LS, the stupid do what they want anyway, the thinkers will try their best to stay alert, distance, hand wash etc, the middle ground will do largely what is recommended and with reminders/encouraged get on with it.
The vulnerable will need the extra care to continue.
Hospitals will be better for keeping many restrictions.

As to pubs and stuff, if open I would go BUT if I saw stuff I wasn't at ease with not stay.

Masks ought to be mandatory in restricted places/indoors/shops.

I agree LS, the stupid do what they want anyway, the thinkers will try their best to stay alert, distance, hand wash etc, the middle ground will do largely what is recommended and with reminders/encouraged get on with it.
The vulnerable will need the extra care to continue.
Hospitals will be better for keeping many restrictions.

As to pubs and stuff, if open I would go BUT if I saw stuff I wasn't at ease with not stay.

Masks ought to be mandatory in restricted places/indoors/shops.

Agreed.It's almost impossible to get into any shop etc here in SC without wearing a mask.But it's still not mandatory as such.

How many more raids are going to be perpetrated with this? Instantly hidden lower faces so little to identify people, who can carry on their wrong doings safe behind their masks!
can you show me any facts, at all, that show people committing crimes under the cover of C19? that sounds like sensationalist Daily Mail headlines to me. It's an apolitical post so I am assuming those that are angry at the marches are equally as angry as the VE Day celebrations, those headed to the beaches and public gatherings.

can you show me any facts, at all, that show people committing crimes under the cover of C19? that sounds like sensationalist Daily Mail headlines to me. It's an apolitical post so I am assuming those that are angry at the marches are equally as angry as the VE Day celebrations, those headed to the beaches and public gatherings.

Of course I can't. I said "are going to be carried out" not "have been carried out"! As a former Bank cashier, I can assure you that masks in front of you are scary things. Only being able to see someone's eyes is not how humans communicate.

Hopefully not very much as travel restrictions won't be fully lifted until July 1st, ie after the summer kicks in.

Although the risk of a second wave of the virus in the autumn is always very much there,of course.
Certain media here have suggested that the Spanish government have altered the way the stats are measured so that lower figures show that tourism etc can open up.One day they compared showed our figures if done in the same way would be lower than Spain.......has this been questioned in your media ?

Think I'd be more surprised if there was a second wave now than if there wasn't. Numbers not risen in a long time despite relaxing the rules, people crowding on the beaches and parks. Looking forward to being able to sit in a pub garden!

Have probably only been in a pub 4-5 times in last year. Doubt even when they re-open with all the new rules, i'll go in one for several more months.

Reactions: GBJ
I can imagine the pubs will be rammed if and when they open. Loads of people getting paraletic and putting further drain on the police force and NHS.

No but there is previous experience to go by.The second wave after Spanish flu first hit in 1918 was much stronger than the first .

I agree with your point about lockdown,btw.

Whether the perceived 'second wave' will hit or not is unknown for now although it the next week or two that question will be answered, however comparing it's potential to the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918 is pointless.

Far different social and economic models with many variances in place, not to mention the one or two medical advancements in the last 102 years.

Only time will tell and then everyone will have an opinion with the benefit of hindsight

Pubs could be open 22nd June. Not sure I'll be kicking the door down at 11 o'clock that day.

I work in the local Essex brewery industry. It is a bit misleading saying pubs open from that day.
What we are being told there is a cabinet meeting tomorrow to discuss, allowing pubs where the customer/customer's can sit outside may be allowed to open, but strict social distance rules.
Also on the table is a relaxation of the 2 meter rule, which I think most country's is 1.5 meter's and in France 1 meter. So its wrong as above to say all pubs to re-open. No not all pubs would re-open a select few who could prove the above.
I know a lot of Police local licencing Officer's have been to many pubs, which could apply the above and given a yes or no, with what needs to be done and how many allowed.

Of course I can't. I said "are going to be carried out" not "have been carried out"! As a former Bank cashier, I can assure you that masks in front of you are scary things. Only being able to see someone's eyes is not how humans communicate.

True, we usually can't see the eyes when phoning, texting, e-mailing, posting on a message board etc

Whether the perceived 'second wave' will hit or not is unknown for now although it the next week or two that question will be answered, however comparing it's potential to the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918 is pointless.

Far different social and economic models with many variances in place, not to mention the one or two medical advancements in the last 102 years.

Only time will tell and then everyone will have an opinion with the benefit of hindsight

On the contrary. the comparison between Covid-19 and Spanish flu. is not pointless at all.
Despite the "different social and economic models " and the "one or two medical advancements" you allude to, without any specification, we are still relatively helpless against the spread of covid-19.The medieval practise of lockdown, as an attempt to confine its spread (perhaps last practised internationally-by those who could afford to- during the Bubonic plague) tells you all you need to know about our 21st century preparedness to combat the current virus.

On the contrary. the comparison between Covid-19 and Spanish flu. is not pointless at all.
Despite the "different social and economic models " and the "one or two medical advancements" you allude to, without any specification, we are still relatively helpless against the spread of covid-19.The medieval practise of lockdown, as an attempt to confine its spread (perhaps last practised internationally-by those who could afford to- during the Bubonic plague) tells you all you need to know about our 21st century preparedness to combat the current virus.

That's only relevant to a point as the only measure that was understood or taken at that time was 'Lockdown'. That's it, no other clinical interventions, no medical interventions, no genome sequencing. Also the Spanish Flu had a different demographic in terms or death rates and age groups, by far the worst affected were the young. the over 65's made up less than 1% of fatalities.

You're right that is serves as a warning for what could happen but to try and model this virus on that data is not a good comparison

True, we usually can't see the eyes when phoning, texting, e-mailing, posting on a message board etc

Why do you seem to be picking me up all the time YB? My post says I was talking as a former Bank cashier, that clearly inferred that I was talking about face to face contact.

Reactions: GBJ
Why do you seem to be picking me up all the time YB? My post says I was talking as a former Bank cashier, that clearly inferred that I was talking about face to face contact.

I can’t remember the last time I went into a branch, but from memory, don’t they all have the plexiglass windows separating the teller & the customer?

With correct social distancing measures, I’m struggling to see why a face mask would be required in a bank, to begin with.

That's only relevant to a point as the only measure that was understood or taken at that time was 'Lockdown'. That's it, no other clinical interventions, no medical interventions, no genome sequencing. Also the Spanish Flu had a different demographic in terms or death rates and age groups, by far the worst affected were the young. the over 65's made up less than 1% of fatalities.

You're right that is serves as a warning for what could happen but to try and model this virus on that data is not a good comparison

My point about lockdown was to show that not much has really changed between 1918 and 2020 (the Middle Ages was, of course even further back). :Winking:

Incidentally it would appear that widespread lockdowns at national level were not a feature of attempts to check the Spanish Flu virus.

While you're quite right to mention that (initially at least) Spanish flu affected young people disproportionately more compared to the elderly it's ahistorical not to consider the similarities (and differences) between the last major worldwide pandemic (think we can exclude the more recent Sars Virus and Foot and mouth disease here).

I certainly wouldn't attempt to do any modelling based on data from the 1918 outbreak and certainly hope HMG's scientists aren't either. :Winking:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back