• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whole squad on furlough - or not!

Does anyone have a rough idea of what Sol and the management team are on? Psychologically might be tough for a player to know the manager is on significantly more

Does anyone have a rough idea of what Sol and the management team are on? Psychologically might be tough for a player to know the manager is on significantly more

I've heard figures mentioned but no idea if they're accurate or not. £20k seems to be the figure I've heard most often.

Reactions: GBJ

If I had to guess, I’d say Sol is on £8k a week.

And if I continued guessing, I’d say that the combined wages for him, Cole, HH & Colbert are into the £20k-£25k a week bracket.

All guesswork, of course

?

Players are a protected species. The normal rules of employment don't seem to apply to them.

In the real world. If furlough wasn't accepted then an employer could terminate a contract.

Why can't the club do the same?

Its obvious that the club is laden with players and management that we can I'll afford. We need to cut the wage bill and play the kids, plus some old pros who know league 2 football and can improve our youth.

The times of us signing players on 5kpw has to end. We aren't a club that can continue to sale close to the wind and get away with it.

If true, a million + per calender year is outrageous at our level of football.

Remember, Ron did say we had done some “financial gymnastics” to bring these guys in.

Sounds like we’ve been bent over the balance beam if you ask me

Weren't Spurs showing interest in Kelman? If so I don't think he would be particularly worried about finding a better contract.
Kelman is just one example, he is probably in a better position than all the other youth's that are allegeldly rejecting furlough and gambling on better contracts being available at other clubs

I think the key thing to remember here is that the players now can't be placed on furlough, that ship has sailed as the deadline for entry into the scheme has passed, I guess the next thing will be a wage deferral which may be a bit more palatable to the players.

One other thing that the youngsters will have to bear in mind is that they won't move for free, if need be a tribunal will have to get involved and there will be some payment or conditions attached to their transfer which may well make it a bit more difficult for them to find a new club, after all if your after a right back would you pay for Elvis or get someone a bit older and a bit more proven for free?

It shows how crazy football has become if mediocre league one players can earn these sums of money. Hopefully one good thing to come from the fallout of the pandemic will be a re-evaluation of finances in football so that these types of wages are no longer paid out by a club of our size.

Absolutely 100% correct, the whole of football from Division One down through the non leagues is suffering mainly due to players being overpaid by clubs that cannot afford to do so.

Player like Hyam are on 4K a week, most of our high earned have left in January, thank god some of our players is out of contract, see if they can earn more than 1k a week for another’s clubs, I don’t think so.

Player like Hyam are on 4K a week, most of our high earned have left in January, thank god some of our players is out of contract, see if they can earn more than 1k a week for another’s clubs, I don’t think so.

Wow !

Absolutely disgusted by the players refusing to go on Furlough. Talk about greed and no thought for the clubs financial position. And the fact that they took us down, makes it even worse. Do they really expect 100% wages without playing any games for months? They are payed to play games. Footballers have never had it so good wages wise, and yet they won't help out their club in it's hour of need. Expecting a scathing statement from RM soon.

Absolutely disgusted by the players refusing to go on Furlough. Talk about greed and no thought for the clubs financial position. And the fact that they took us down, makes it even worse. Do they really expect 100% wages without playing any games for months? They are payed to play games. Footballers have never had it so good wages wise, and yet they won't help out their club in it's hour of need. Expecting a scathing statement from RM soon.

Ron must be getting fed up of having to put a statement every two minutes.

If I were Ron I'd start to get petty, if they want their pay they'll have to work. the entire ground could do with a deep clean and a lick of paint, the potholes in the carpark need filling in.

Hyam can sit in the ticket office so he doesn't get hurt, in fact the players could hand deliver the season tickets and new shirts, it might actually do them some good

If I were Ron I'd start to get petty, if they want their pay they'll have to work. the entire ground could do with a deep clean and a lick of paint, the potholes in the carpark need filling in.

That's what used to happen in the olden days. And players a lot better than the current crop used to do it without complaint.

Back