• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think a lot of southend fans are very negative about everuthing.

Very unfair actually. I actually think we're more accepting than most, perhaps too accepting at times.

Look at this season, Ron's got away with murder again and not as much of a whimper from us.

If anything, and I've said this before, I think our fan base can be a bit gutless and just let these problems carry on and Ron doesn't even get as much as a bad look from us.

Add in the fact that we've been threatened with relegation for the past three seasons and barely seen a win in the process, other fans would be protesting left right and centre.

this would wind me up but this is the same sort if crap Tilson used to get .... oh his post match interviews are terrible... he just says he same thing .. etcetc

i think a lot of southend fans are very negative about everuthing and of course nothing gives them more pleasure than pouring out their frustrationn on a bloke who is a higly successful individual who has won a load of major trophies and represented his country in the wolrd cup and major international tournnaments .... there really must be something wrong with him !!

Anyway I won't push this too far as I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable but really and truly there is an unpleasant edge to the anti- Sol campaign that I really don't like.

Because you are a success on the pitch doesnot mean, he can transfer this to being a good manager, I use good as successful is few and far in this chosen field

Very few players have transferred their on field success to managerial in the lower leagues, simply because the players are not good enough, or there is no cash, one or two will do well but few become a success

No doubt he did mission impossible at Macclesfield and should be applauded for the Great Escape, but then suing the club leaves a sour taste, as at Portsmouth

When you think Peter Reid paid salary from his own pocket when at Plymouth, that shows class as a manager

I donot think there has been an agenda just some people do know whats going on and then shot down in flames only then to be told they are font of all knowledge some months later

There are three posters on here who seem to know whats going on, and when they post I take notice, as they post now and then with snippets

UTS

From day 1 I've never trusted Sol. I always feel like he's never been fully invested in us. He's comes with a chip on his shoulder as if he should have the god given right of being a prem manager automatically just because of who he is.

I suppose this is because he saw many of his England and Arsenal teammates walk straight into Prem or Championship jobs.

Look we all know how football works and how close nit it is and how things get round easily .
Im pretty sure that SC is known to be a difficult character almost alienating himself at times amongst his peers ,does this mean he will be a bad manager - No , but it does mean that his bizarre behavior will mean that Chairman perhaps will not take a chance on him .

I don;t see this working out with Sol and never have done, it just didn't seem the right fit for me and i could always sense there could be a big falling out with Ron ,i hope im proved wrong as of course i want our club to be a success.

Signs are not looking good though

anyway I don't think Sol got where he is by being liked ...

being popular is definitely not a prerequisite for success

Sol Campbell has never and will never be “OUR” man. His sole interest appears to be himself and how his “brand” is seen by others. As for how the youngsters have come through and performed, I should imagine that very little of those excellent moments are due to Campbell. I would guess that Hreidarsson and Fagan are very much more responsible.

Sol Campbell has never and will never be “OUR” man. His sole interest appears to be himself and how his “brand” is seen by others. As for how the youngsters have come through and performed, I should imagine that very little of those excellent moments are due to Campbell. I would guess that Hreidarsson and Fagan are very much more responsible.
I'd agree on Fagan, not sure about Hreidarsson.

I would certainly agree that for some the fixation is on him personally and how they see him (I go as far as to say judge him). And the conclusions that follow.

No point pretending in some way he seeks to portray these images himself overly actively on SM, his activity levels are way too low to suggest that. Certainly he has a vastly lower desire to be presenting himself in the media than say a PB.

And of course where personal dislike is so obvious, it seems that it comes with a similarly expected reluctance to see or accept any positive results or contributions as being possible.

I would certainly agree that for some the fixation is on him personally and how they see him (I go as far as to say judge him). And the conclusions that follow.

No point pretending in some way he seeks to portray these images himself overly actively on SM, his activity levels are way too low to suggest that. Certainly he has a vastly lower desire to be presenting himself in the media than say a PB.

And of course where personal dislike is so obvious, it seems that it comes with a similarly expected reluctance to see or accept any positive results or contributions as being possible.

I think some of that also is his distrust of the media - whereas PB and CP were happy to speak to Chris all the time, Sol isn't. Hey I couldnt care less about his demeanour, his social media, his penchant for pop psychology. I care about the club getting results on and off the pitch. And he deserves a decent pre-season and chance to bring in his own players.

Like who?

Lampard, Shearer, Gerrard, Southgate, Ince, Ljungberg spring to mind. Other players from that period like Keane, Solskjaer, Giggs, Woodgate were given good jobs at the first time of asking. A few, like Adams and Sheringham did get lower league jobs like Sol though. A lot of his Arsenal teammates got decent jobs abroad: Henry, Vieira etc. Think this is why he feels hard done by.

Lampard, Shearer, Gerrard, Southgate, Ince, Ljungberg spring to mind. Other players from that period like Keane, Solskjaer, Giggs, Woodgate were given good jobs at the first time of asking. A few, like Adams and Sheringham did get lower league jobs like Sol though. A lot of his Arsenal teammates got decent jobs abroad: Henry, Vieira etc. Think this is why he feels hard done by.
Lampard started at Derby I will give out that, did well there too and earned the Chelsea job I guess,

Shearer was caretake manager failed and not given another job, but he isn’t interested anyway

Gerrard in Scotland not sure that’s a decent job lol but fair enough

Southgate is fair enough

Ince started at MK dons And didn’t walk into anything

Ljungberg is an assistant (think Sol is on record as saying he doesn’t want to be an assistant)

The others you mentioned pretty much failed, giggs hard to judge but he is an international manager maybe Sol fancies the Northern Ireland job.

So while I agree there are not many BAME coaches / managers disproportionately so, those that may have walked into a job or didn’t as the case maybe very few have had success. Maybe they would have been better starting of down the ladder.

I thought this thread was about his social media postings anyway, which can be very odd at times.

I agree with others on here, Campbell doesn't appear to have an affinity with the club. Even on match days he is never seen in SUFC gear. Maybe he wears the stuff on the training ground I don't know.

Adding to the variety of views on Sol personally discussed above regarding his limited Instagram musings. His interview with Sky here prompted by the Black Lives Matter debate to me seems articulate and well presented.

Last edited:
Just seen him gobbing off on SSN about how he hasn't been given a top or 'better' job because he's black. Comes across as bitter and resentful of where he is at the moment.

We need to bin him off.

Was this the same interview as the article @kentblues linked to?

Adding to the variety of views on Sol personally discussed above regarding his limited Instagram musings. His interview with Sky here prompted by the Black Lives Matter debate to me seems articulate and well presented.

Someone should give Sol and nudge and remind him that from the 53 games he has managed professionally, he’s only returned 13 wins.

We know that in football, the only colour that the owners see, is green. They’d employ a farmyard animal if they thought it’d bring them results.

Sadly, a game winning ratio of 24%, doesn’t tend to attract big job opportunities.

Why has the thread title been changed, I don't see anything in the thread recently that warrants the staying or leaving part.
Nor do I- sometimes desperately wishing for something to be so doesn't make it so. Hopefully its not an attempt to keep this dreadful thread going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back