• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sol Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your all thinking it, but no one want to mention him?

It’s got to be Red card Roy! Get on that plane Big Fella ??
No chance, he have been out of football for 23 years, if was in 1996, he would have an chances. Even fans moaned that Tilson out of Manager role for 10 years now.

First and foremost, no way should Phil Brown be allowed back at RH under any circumstances. I think the rapid decline started under him (I will never forget his body language v Wimbledon away, the game before he was sacked when it was obvious he’d given up) his abysmal treatment of certain players (AB & Mark Phillips especially) & poor man management are certainly not what we need going forward. He is a journeyman manager now too & surely it is better to give someone with ambition to break into management a chance (as Ron did with Tilly) rather than go down the sacked “here there and everywhere & now yet another club on the CV” route.

Sol was always a strange fit for Southend and I think if we are honest, we all knew it was never going to end well. He has always been an odd individual but after his miracle of keeping Macclesfield up last year, I really hoped after the appalling start to the season he would come in and at least steady the ship, organise and put some life back into the club again. The performances did improve somewhat but so much happened off the pitch, losing players, transfer embargo, having to play the youth team etc, there was never going to be a “great escape” and he was always managing with both hands tied behind his back and at a disadvantage. This added to his alleged “non working relationship” with Ron made today’s news inevitable really, sad because I think at a stable club with a little bit of money where he could have strengthened with new signings, Sol may have (& still might) been a success as a manager - that sadly was not the case with us and it seems he came and went from the club almost as a stranger. I wish him luck for the future & sincerely hope he goes on to find success as a coach/manager elsewhere now.

I would really like Ron to give AB/Tilly a go. There won’t be money available - we know that but we also know they will sweat blood for this club going forward. Adam is inexperienced as a manager yes but you know he will give it everything and loves the club. Tilly is a wise old head and to me they might just be the perfect combination. We need to stabilise next season, put pride back in wearing our beautiful blue shirt and arrest the slide first and foremost. Another poor appointment and we could well end up in non league and possible oblivion, so the appointment is absolutely critical to the clubs future now. I just hope Ron gets it right this time ?

Last edited:
I see poor old Philips in the Echo is trying to gloat while dressing back on his allegation Sol never spoke to anyone ... ...

funnily enough he also says Sol did not know what was going above him ?

I mean does anyone ....

oh well - I hope Campbell gets another chance somewhere and one day get to hear
about all the terrible things he did ..

anyone got their moral compass handy to discuss Phil Browns private life

Where was your moral compass when you was accusing Ron of “pocketing” a £5m loan from Sainsbury’s?

I have to say that waving goodbye to Sol and his team has raised mixed feelings for me. I seriously wanted to see him do well, and there were some signs that he was turning things around. His support for the youngsters was unwavering, and they came on massively. All within a horribly difficult situation, with the financial mess and an embargo. I dont think he stood a chance to show what he is capable of. He has thrown the towel in now, so all i can do is wish him the best of luck for the future.

On the other side, was he the right man for the job in the first place? I don't think so, but following the whole Bond then Larsson episode we limited our own choices! I still think sacking SCP was the wrong thing to do, as he was hamstrung by the injuries and Ron should have been a bit more patient, and got him some help instead of pulling the trigger
as we are 1000x worse off now than we were then!

Where was your moral compass when you was accusing Ron of “pocketing” a £5m loan from Sainsbury’s?

to be clear i did not accuse RM of taking any money - I pointed out that holding a substantial town centre property and investment of 5m allowed him to rebuild the club and he was not broke ..

my point about the moral compass seems to have been overlooked - its always interesting to see where the line is drawn and by whom and for what purpose.

i took Campbell at face value - a highly successful athlete used to the highest level of sporting excellence -of course my little star struck self wanted him to succeed. From the beginning of his time at SUFC I found some of the comments difficult to understand.

anyway he has let RM off the pay out.

I have my own view about how our support has conducted itself on here.

I don't want to discuss it.

A sad day for your club. I'd be delighted if he and his backroom team replaced Parkinson except he's had two jobs at clubs in a mess and I wouldn't want him making it three.

to be clear i did not accuse RM of taking any money - I pointed out that holding a substantial town centre property and investment of 5m allowed him to rebuild the club and he was not broke ..

Bollocks, you’ve given Ron a caning for years, to the point that your claim had to be deleted by the mods/owners.

Before you mention it, I have also given Ron a rough ride, and I’m not trying to shy away from that fact.

I have my own view about how our support has conducted itself on here.

Let me help you down off that high horse for a second, and read my sentence above.

played the youth players with gusto and warmth and developed them hugely in the first team. Not just that, he got under-performing veteran pros playing the best football of their Southend careers in Dieng and Milligan.

Young players thriving ✅
Increased fitness levels ✅
Actually won some games ✅

All while dealing with the haunted past of Bond and Waddock and hamstrung by not being able to sign any players while the usual wage fiascos happened.
These bits I totally agree with. Milligan looked transformed under Campbell!
Overall I think he did well. We improved from the most awful collection of individuals ever set to do any task to a coherent unit who overperformed given they were a) kids and b) not getting paid

These bits I totally agree with. Milligan looked transformed under Campbell!
Overall I think he did well. We improved from the most awful collection of individuals ever set to do any task to a coherent unit who overperformed given they were a) kids and b) not getting paid

Milligan can’t stand Campbell. He despised him to be truthful.

Some people have spilled the beans, but their posts were deleted, which is understandable, as the owners don’t want to face any comebacks
It's not about personal comebacks. It's about protecting this site and, as you say, hopefully understandable to most. I've deleted a few more posts and I'm asking posters now to please stop posting rumours or hearsay, along with any further requests for a bit of info. I'm sorry for that - we all love a bit of gossip but it's my role to protect this site.

It's not about personal comebacks. It's about protecting this site and, as you say, hopefully understandable to most. I've deleted a few more posts and I'm asking posters now to please stop posting rumours or hearsay, along with any further requests for a bit of info. I'm sorry for that but it's my role to protect this site.

Fair shout & I don’t blame you at all ??

fair enough. I thought he improved a lot under his management

Oh he did, absolutely. Personally I’d have given Milly another year. The players really like him, and had became the unofficial captain of the squad. He’s the type of committed, dedicated professional, which every club needs.

But attributing it to Sol, simply isn’t the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back