• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dear cousin 69 years of age was on a ventilator and in an induced coma at Southend Hospital for 4 weeks, needed tracheostomy. Now in a remote hospital type bed with family. Can't walk. Stands for a few minutes then needs oxygen, lost 5 stone. Just started to eat solid food. Cannot recall any type of flu that does that to you? It's a terrible virus for sure, believe it.

How awful for him.
Sadly though we are seeing some cases where this virus has left the individual with ongoing health concerns and are needing to go into a rehab facility for ongoing care/input.
One of the things we have seen though particularly in older people is confusion and delirium and we have yet to learn the long term impact of that.

When I see all the pictures of people gathering without following the guidelines I become disheartened and fearful for potential outcomes.

I hope he recovers and can get back to some normality in his life but I fear it may be a long struggle for him

He had plenty of that. He kept trying to take all his tubes out because he thought the medical staff were conducting experiments on him. He also wanted to call the police to get him out of hospital.

I hope he recovers as well. He's the only one of that family I actually like!

My sister's father in law is in a bad way. He was intubated and on a ventilator for the best part of 11 weeks. To get him off the ventilator he had to have a tracheostomy. He's now in a rehab home, but is breathing on his own. He can't walk, can only sit up for very short periods of time (i.e. 10 minutes) and isn't full with it either. He's in his early 70s and far as I'm aware had no underlying health conditions. At various points his kidneys and heart needed help. He had numerous blood transfusions and I believe has now had a pacemaker fitted. It's going to be at least a year before he has even a semblance of a normal life, if he does at all.

I don't know of any flu that will leave you like that.
That is so grim LB, I really hope he does make a full recovery. It's this sort of story that reminds me just how bad this virus can be for some and when folk start telling me that it's not a big deal I try to be polite with them and hope they never have relatives in the same position as your sister's father in law.

Apparently there are some areas that are close to going down the same road as Leicester.

36 "at-risk" areas are:
• Havering
• Wiltshire
• Wandsworth
• Gloucestershire
• Ealing
• Hammersmith and Fulham
• Doncaster
• Plymouth
• Barking and Dagenham
• Westminster
• Milton Keynes
• Wakefield
• Haringey
• Medway
• Hounslow
• Brent
• Harrow
• Kensington and Chelsea
• Slough
• Suffolk
• Redbridge
• Sandwell
• Enfield
• Tower Hamlets
• York
• Sunderland
• Wigan
• Windsor and Maidenhead
• Leicester
• Gateshead
• Isle of Wight
• Richmond upon Thames
• Portsmouth
• Redcar and Cleveland
• Derbyshire
• Walsall

Hmmm and what links a lot of those areas? :Think:

The redundancies are coming now and the unemployment level will be seriously grim in the next few months. Upper Crust have just halved their workforce from 10,000 to 5,000.

I don't know if countries will look back in years to come and question whether the lockdown was worth the damage that is about to happen. Perhaps a lockdown for people of certain ages and medical conditions would have shielded them, not overwhelmed the NHS and kept the economy going
with fit younger people continuing to work where this virus is very unlikely to seriously harm them?

Who knows. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing and we could get a second wave which is much worse than the first wave which would make the above irrelevant anyway.

Yep, the economic reality of this draconian, drawn-out lockdown is starting to hit home. And it's the people who are least at risk - children and the young - who will lose out the most.

You're right, I think history will look back on lockdown as an overreaction, and if this outbreak had happened say 20 years ago, without social media, without the constant news coverage, I don't think the reaction would've been the same. But hey, at least we 'protected the NHS'...

Yep, the economic reality of this draconian, drawn-out lockdown is starting to hit home. And it's the people who are least at risk - children and the young - who will lose out the most.

You're right, I think history will look back on lockdown as an overreaction, and if this outbreak had happened say 20 years ago, without social media, without the constant news coverage, I don't think the reaction would've been the same. But hey, at least we 'protected the NHS'...
The BBC now reporting that there could be 35k extra death through missed cancer referrals and diagnosis. In the beginning I was in favour of lockdown but now I'm not so sure.

An overreaction which nearly every country in the world enforced and it was also endorsed by the World Health Organisation. How and when lockdown was introduced, and how well the world did or didn't handle the fall-out maybe will feature in history, but not lockdown.

The BBC now reporting that there could be 35k extra death through missed cancer referrals and diagnosis. In the beginning I was in favour of lockdown but now I'm not so sure.
The counterfactual will always be an uncertain estimate... we won't know the full impact on lockdown in terms of health issues and cancer, mental health etc. We won't fully know the impact it's had on educational achievement, on vulnerable people and children. However, what we do know with a degree of certainty that if we hadn't locked down then many tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, will have died. Plus in that situation, cancer services will have also ground to a halt because there wouldn't have been a workforce of doctors and health professionals to staff them. It's not an either/or.

Also I can't find the report by HDR and modelling the impact of lockdown on hard outcomes like cancer deaths is very difficult to do, so take this with a pinch of salt.

The counterfactual will always be an uncertain estimate... we won't know the full impact on lockdown in terms of health issues and cancer, mental health etc. We won't fully know the impact it's had on educational achievement, on vulnerable people and children. However, what we do know with a degree of certainty that if we hadn't locked down then many tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, will have died. Plus in that situation, cancer services will have also ground to a halt because there wouldn't have been a workforce of doctors and health professionals to staff them. It's not an either/or.

Also I can't find the report by HDR and modelling the impact of lockdown on hard outcomes like cancer deaths is very difficult to do, so take this with a pinch of salt.

You're quite right it is an uncertain estimate, but so is the number of people that would have died from C19 had we not brought the country to a standstill in lockdown. All the numbers are pulled from models and worse case scenarios.

It was absolutely the right thing to do at the time but on the same measure of necessity it is now time to relax these rules further and get back to some sort of normality otherwise the appalling fallout from other causes will make this C19 outbreak look like a mere blip.

Cancer is just one of a long list of things that will now start to cause unnecessary death because of the restrictions to limit C19 deaths. When you add on other terminal illnesses and the unknown mental health implications caused by lockdown/furlough/job loses and add in the impact of children missing out on months worth of education and, more importantly IMO, the social interaction with their peers this will be far worse.

When does the cure become worse than the disease? I think we're pretty close to that point now. It not an easy job and hindsight will always be a wonderful thing for people looking to bash the decision makers but from an objective point of view this has to be the reality.

Last edited:
So this morning, WHO have changed their stance and their scientists have have said beyond any reasonable doubt that the spread of the virus is mostly due to micro droplets that hang in the air, rather than the normal droplets discarded by the infected person close up. So 3m rather than 1m or 2m could be the new advice. But that will be hard to implement, and will probably be ignored. It also makes the wearing of a face mask more advisable. It said good ventilation is key.

So face masks must be worn in shops from the 24th. Is the virus going to get worse from the 23rd? But ok up till then? But no need in pubs, restaurants, and everywhere else! It makes no sense, if it was a problem why not make it compulsory from today?

So face masks must be worn in shops from the 24th. Is the virus going to get worse from the 23rd? But ok up till then? But no need in pubs, restaurants, and everywhere else! It makes no sense, if it was a problem why not make it compulsory from today?

I don’t understand the delay on the dates exactly like the quarantine dates for coming into the UK it was ok for you to not do it until that date! I wonder if it’s because a lot of stores are now stopping the queuing and their one way systems. Maybe this is their way of trying to combat that issue. Because going into a supermarket now seems to be almost back to normal.

Because masks offering little if any protection. Government guidelines publication "Keeping safe outside your home" Para 8 "Face coverings":

"Evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you."

Read it soon before it gets deleted.

Masks are just virtue signalling to the nth degree. Keep the population in a permanent high state of fear and keep them compliant.

It is becoming apparent that most of the population would have loved it in the DDR

Because masks offering little if any protection. Government guidelines publication "Keeping safe outside your home" Para 8 "Face coverings":

"Evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you."

Read it soon before it gets deleted.

Masks are just virtue signalling to the nth degree. Keep the population in a permanent high state of fear and keep them compliant.

It is becoming apparent that most of the population would have loved it in the DDR

I must admit that I am quite fascinated by the DDR.

I imagine it was like shopping in Lidl but without the opportunity to buy a cordless drill or a socket set.

Last edited:
I must admit that I am quite fascinated by the DDR.

I imagine it was like shopping in Lidl but without the opportunity to buy a cordless drill or a socket set.
With the added bonus of being able to get your neighbour dragged off in the middle of the night and never seen again if, in your opinion, they bought too many non essentials.

What's not to love?

With the added bonus of being able to get your neighbour dragged off in the middle of the night and never seen again if, in your opinion, they bought too many non essentials.

What's not to love?

I didn't say I endorsed the regime, merely that I found it fascinating.

Any my neighbours already run the risk of being dragged off in the middle of the night if they upset me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back